Alaskan here, Unsure of how to cope with weather!

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Alaskan here, Unsure of how to cope with weather!

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Hey fellows! This is going to be my first Burn this year, and I am preparing in every way I can think of, the one thing I am not sure how to do is get ready to cope with the heat.

I was born and raised in Alaska in an area where the climate is about exactly the opposite of whats on the Playa. Where I was raised it's cool and constantly rainy, and to me a 75-80 degree day is more than comfortable. I get very grumpy, irritable and sometimes just plain don't feel good in the heat, and I'm afraid that being too warm will have the chance of seriously detracting from my experience at Burning Man.

What kind of preparation should I take to maybe get myself a little more acclimated to the weather, or what should I do to help stay cool (besides drinking lots of water and staying in shade).

Also! I know that I will likely be tent camping, and I know how hot the inside of a tent can get when it's only even 75 out but the sun is just overhead, is there anything I can do to maybe keep the tent a little cooler? Maybe camp under a canopy maybe?

Any advice will be appreciated!!

<3 Elcee Monster
I believe that the less knowledge you have, the less you have to worry about, and the more calm your mind is. Knowledge is both a gift and a curse.
ElceeExtraordinary

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Alaskan here, Unsure of how to cope with weather!

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Bring a XXXL tee shirt, dip it in a bucket of water, wring it out, and put it on.

That will keep you cool for about an hour.

Oh, and read this!!! 8)

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&start=2430
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Well, if you're not the shy type, you could lose a lot of clothes and nobody will care.

If you ARE the shy type, then you could still lose a lot of clothes, and nobody will care either. :mrgreen:

About the only suggestion I have is form an entourage of people to follow you around with misters, feather fans, and parasols. You can even call it "art"!. heheheh

Welcome to ePlaya!
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Oh I plan on going in my skinnies as often as I can get away with. I love rockin the nude. 8)

So maybe nude with a scarf or something draped over shoulders/head that has been soaked? And keep damp often.
I believe that the less knowledge you have, the less you have to worry about, and the more calm your mind is. Knowledge is both a gift and a curse.
ElceeExtraordinary

Postby Bin Noddin » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Water, water, water. Sunscreen. Also, pace yourself until you are acclimated. There's so much to see and do and it's tempting to try it all - but you will discover that a mid-afternoon siesta in the shade is just what you need to recharge yourself for an evening and night of further adventures.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby tahiti_treat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

My tent fan and misting bottle are essentials. The fan operates on D-cell batteries, has a carabiner clip on top so you can hook it right above you, and also has a light. When I am overheating in camp, I soak a shemagh in water, drape it over myself and lie under the fan. It cools me off wonderfully. The misting bottle is one of those garden sprayer that you pump up and it gives you about a minute of continuous mist. I often take it in my bicycle basket when I'm out and about, to cool me off and also offer to people that are standing in line waiting for pancakes or whatever (always ask before misting someone else though - some people don't like it)
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm

ElceeExtraordinary wrote: ... cope with the heat.
... Maybe camp under a canopy maybe?

You know it! That's what practically everybody does. You will see a great deal of discussion about shade structures on this board.

An other thing, which you will like, is the low humidity. In 10 -- ten! -- percent humidity, heat does not feel nearly so hot.

So start making plans for shade, in some way. Just make sure it is tied down very well.

Oh, and if you can repair bicycles, you will be right at home in the nude at my "shop".
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Elliot wrote:Oh, and if you can repair bicycles, you will be right at home in the nude at my "shop".

I don't know the first thing about bicycles honestly, but I'll at least have to stop by and say hi! I'll be looking into getting a bike for the week though, I'm thinking something sturdy I find pretty cheap on craigslist? I haven't rode a bike in years, so I honestly don't know the first thing about finding the appropriate one for the occasion.
ElceeExtraordinary

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 pm

It is certainly best to be honest with oneself. And then I must tell you honestly that most cheap Craigslist bikes will need repair. People simply don't unload a good bicycle for cheap.

Now... of course, I walked right into this one, didn't I! So... one petite bicycle coming up, which you will pick up at my camp and borrow for the week. We will arrange details later.

(I'm up to 40 reservations, folks, so there won't many more.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby BBadger » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Once you taste the glory of a dry climate you'll never want to go back to those humid areas. Well... at least the hot humid places. You'll feel hot in the sun, but when you enter the shade it is markedly cooler. In that line of thought: concentrate on your camp's shade, or at least the shade over where you sleep so that you can at least catch some quality sleep. Beyond that, you'll easily adapt.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby fernley1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 pm

There was a camp last year @ 4:30 & H that was full of Burners from Alaska.
Maybe you can try connecting with them for tips on how they survived the week.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 pm

The good news is that the heat will only be an issue from about 10am to 7pm. At night it gets pretty cold, so maybe you will want to do your exploring at night.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 pm

fernley1 wrote:There was a camp last year @ 4:30 & H that was full of Burners from Alaska.
Maybe you can try connecting with them for tips on how they survived the week.

And we're on 5&H, so Elliot will be easy to find!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Shoeshine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Echoing Ranger magnum...

Understand that noon-4 is siesta time. Find shade, your own, or there are lots of people happy to share. A large-ish cloth item and a small cooler of cold water. Dunk, drape, repeat. Sleep if you can, read a book or chat with the many fine people around you if you cant.

Then...

Rock the night!
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Shoeshine

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to the Keeping Cool board, since that's a better fit. You may also want to read the Survival Guide and First-Timer's Guide, or browse through the boards a bit. The topic of dealing with the heat and weather conditions is often discussed, you may find a bunch of different solutions that you think will work for you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:34 am

Elliot wrote:(I'm up to 40 reservations, folks, so there won't many more.)

Omgosh, really? You really are awesome! :)

Thank you all for the tips, I really appreciate it. I don't think words can describe how excited I am for this!
ElceeExtraordinary

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:37 am

Don't sleep in your tent oven during the day.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:06 pm

But if your tent isn't under a shade structure, and you don't have a swamp cooler, it can bake cookies for you. Just takes longer than usual.

If this was camera & film days, we'd be warning you about leaving your camera or film in the tent but not insulated (like in a cooler). The heat will bake the film and can delaminate lens elements. Makes the light sensors in digital cameras produce a lot of noise too.

In case this isn't in any of the above posts or their links, make sure you're hydrated before you get to the playa, and then stay that way. You don't want to start from a deficit.

And it's not just heat. Dust & wind too. A reminder if this duplicates anything above.
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 30#p999891

p.s.
10 to 7 is my peak time, out around the playa.
But then I'm out and around to handout water & electrolyte: so fools can get back to their camp safely instead of ending up in medical, those prepared can stay out and around exploring longer before they have to find a place to replenish or return to their camp (experienced Burners drink offered water/electrolyte so they hold what they took out and around with them in reserve).

Oh. And, Burning Man is a nice place with lots of nice people, but Usual Rules Apply. Consider who is offering you what. Some drinks have been spiked.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Daydre » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:15 am

As someone who comes from Alaska, I can totally understand your concern. I too had some anxiety about how I was going to deal with the high altitude and high temperatures since all my body knows is a temperate, drizzly, sea-level, coastal environment. I was surprised at how the extremely low humidity really does make things tolerable on most days. There were those times where all I could so was chill out under shade with a cold drink, and that's then one of those misting fans really came in handy! It's another good time to take a much needed nap under a damp sheet. Shade is a must, as is staying hydrated and pacing yourself, but you will survive it. One more thing I suggest is getting to Reno a couple says in advance if possible to start adjusting to the environment. I always suffer a a little headache the first 48 hours, after that I'm golden. Don't worry too much and have fun!
Daydre

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Canoe » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 am

Daydre wrote:... I too had some anxiety about how I was going to deal with the high altitude ... since all my body knows is a temperate, drizzly, sea-level, coastal environment. ...the extremely low humidity really does make things tolerable on most days. ... getting to Reno a couple says in advance if possible to start adjusting to the environment. I always suffer a a little headache the first 48 hours, ...

Somewhere here before my first time to BRC, I read about possible mild altitude sickness due to the mild altitude mixed with higher temps & mild dehydration, for those of us living closer to sea level. Since I live at 540', I take the eplaya recommended chlorophyll tablets from a health food store, starting when I'm three days away from BRC, and start sipping water when I head North for BRC.
yrmv
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:06 am

Hydrate! drink a lot of water so your body can cool itself (sweat) Keep your electrolytes up also
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby pink » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm

One thing you won't notice is how much you are sweating since it evaporates immediately. Hydrate constantly. If you stop having to pee, you're in trouble.

As others have mentioned, in a really dry environment, evaporative cooling works wonderfully! A mister and a slight breeze can leave you with goosebumps. It's that effective.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby gaminwench » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:56 pm

And don't forget electrolytes! Water is necessary, so is replacing salt ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

And absolutely, go easy on the alcohol during the day. It will dry you out. Drink at least a pint of water for every mixed drink, and two for every beer (worked for me.)
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:00 pm

^Rhino! wrote:And absolutely, go easy on the alcohol during the day. It will dry you out. Drink at least a pint of water for every mixed drink, and two for every beer (worked for me.)

That's easy for me to do. I really don't drink anyway. :)

Thank you guys for all of the help. I can't wait to start getting ready for this adventure!
ElceeExtraordinary

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 pm

I usually end up too hydrated when I'm at BM, and after the trip I have to purposely reduce my water consumption so that my body isn't used to a drinking and pissing all the time.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:04 pm

:lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Nudity...altho I am all for it...isn't the best way to stay cool during the heat of the day, otherwise the Arabs woulda been doin' nude centuries ago. Loose fitting, light colored clothing helps, wide brimmed hat, personal misting device (something as simple as a spray bottle will do), a damp cloth around your neck. Seek shade mid-day...rest.

When I'm during a daytime playa excursion I wear hiking boots with light wool...yes, wool...socks, a long sleeved white shirt and all of the above. I carry a shemagh for dust which can double as a shoulder covering.

If you desire more nudity during the day just cover up while you're on the move, disrobe while exploring a piece of playa art or visiting, stay close to shade...then cover up when you're on the move again... minimizing sun exposure on bare skin, and keeping you cooler.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ^Rhino! » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Another thing you can do to stay cool is to wet down a towel and drape it over you shoulders....the rapid evaporation will actually cool you down quite a bit.

I used to dump water in my hair to keep my head cool, too. Just remember to comb it when you do so or you'll get tangles that are a real pain to untangle later.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ElceeExtraordinary » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm

^Rhino! wrote:I used to dump water in my hair to keep my head cool, too. Just remember to comb it when you do so or you'll get tangles that are a real pain to untangle later.

I have dreads, so that shouldn't be a problem :)
ElceeExtraordinary

Next

Return to Keeping Cool