BRC Dive Shop

BRC Dive Shop

Postby DeafGuy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:06 pm

I am considering a new camp for Burning Man 2006....would it get any support? Like the hardware store or other practical spot, we would have tank and equipment rentals, boats to take you to the best playa dive spots and, of course, girls in bikinis hanging around the pier.

I'd have to figure out how to get some seagulls and pelicans to hang out on the pilings but with my Disney background I think I can.

Anyone feel the need for a dive shop on the edge of the playa?

Here is a pic from my diving at Black Rock City last year.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
DeafGuy

Postby Cephlah » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:45 am

A dive camp sounds like fun - count me in!!

It would also be cool if you offered a "dive bar", and perhaps a scuba experience for the uninitiated. My husband and I have tried this with several friends/family in backyard pools and they've all loved it. Not sure of the logistics or legality though.

-Ceph
Cephlah

Postby DeafGuy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:50 am

Cephlah wrote:A dive camp sounds like fun - count me in!! It would also be cool if you offered a "dive bar", and perhaps a scuba experience for the uninitiated. My husband and I have tried this with several friends/family in backyard pools and they've all loved it. Not sure of the logistics or legality though. -Ceph

The "dive bar" is a great idea. Since most bars at BRC are dives, this one will fit in perfectly but we'll decorate it with spear guns and diver down flags. We'll have sign up sheets for the next day's dives. If I can pull it off, I'll have a couple of "dive boats" moored next to the bar. Maybe do it tiki style?

I don't know all of the great dive sites on the playa. Feel free to let me know if there is some reef out there we should include in our trip plans.

Wreck diving is a MUST!!!!!

Diver down bells are an important safety feature on the playa for all divers.
DeafGuy

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:12 pm

Will there be any muff diving offered at this establishment?

(sorry, it was just too easy)
Chai Guy

Postby StevenGoodman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 pm

You might want to hook up with the Lake Lahontan Yacht Club?!

http://www.lakelahontan.org/

At least to make sure none of the divers get run over by their yachts!
StevenGoodman

Postby Cephlah » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:01 pm

Any chance this this will be boat diving? Seems like a long surface kick to shore dive the playa.
Cephlah

Postby DeafGuy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:16 pm

It may end up being a question of number of divers versus number of boats.

Of course, some of the reefs out by the fence line are just too far to kick to. Those will be 2 tank dives with a surface break.

Most of the wrecks are at less than 60 feet so overall this should be a pretty straightforward process.

Hooking up with the Yacht Club makes tons of sense. Just have to make sure that dive excursions don't interfere with their sunset cruises and other plans. But its early still.

One of the better dives out by the BRC fence line...called "Pentagon Point Tunnel"
DeafGuy

Postby Amiculus » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:04 pm

I'm in! Keep me posted on how I can help! I'm distracted by cheep ass screws. More later when I can think. But I love to Dive. That would be cool if we could get a Diver Dan rep there as well!!!
It takes many nails to build a crib, but only one screw to fill it.
Amiculus

Postby Cephlah » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 pm

I'm distracted by cheep ass screws. More later when I can think.

I agree Amiculus...the cheaper the screw, the more distracting. I've heard you get what you pay for...

Most of the wrecks are at less than 60 feet so overall this should be a pretty straightforward process.

And I was so hoping to spend the week bent and narced out of my mind!
Cephlah

Postby DeafGuy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:49 pm

Cephlah wrote:
I'm distracted by cheep ass screws. More later when I can think.

I agree Amiculus...the cheaper the screw, the more distracting. I've heard you get what you pay for...

No safety stops for you!!

DeafGuy

Postby Amiculus » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:11 pm

I just finished diving the Yukon here in San Diego CA, it's a canadian battleship sunk in wreck alley. Too cool! Vis sucked and we had to do a blue water ascent from about 80 feet. what a rush! Not recomended. Anyways... I just had seen a listing for a Dive Bar for the playa, any relation to us? No idea. Hopefully diving lake Mead NV & AZ next weekend! You know those state stickers they put on traillers to show where they have been. I am doing that with dive stickers the same way. 48 more states to go! The screwes I were reffering to were ones we had bought from Home Depot. They kept breaking. Anyways... I have one extra set of fins I can take to the playa and I am debating on the implications of bringing the better stuff with all of the dust it would be exposed to. It would be cool to on the way out dive Pyramid lake. Anyone interested.
It takes many nails to build a crib, but only one screw to fill it.
Amiculus

Postby Cephlah » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:22 pm

No safety stops for you!!

Yeah, well, maybe a safety stop would be OK. But I still hope to be a little narced :)
Cephlah

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:02 am

Heh, you can actually saltwater dive in Utah. The Utah burn (Synorgy) is held at Seabase in Grantsville; they have deep saltwater springs and teach scuba in the desert. In theory, you could attend a regional burn and get a dive sticker at the same time. Oh, and there's sharks but they only come out at night.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Cephlah » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:38 pm

AntiM wrote:
Heh, you can actually saltwater dive in Utah.

Yeah, I think I read about Seabase in a magazine. Isn't the water supposed to be some of the warmest in the world?

AntiM wrote:
In theory, you could attend a regional burn and get a dive sticker at the same time.

Burning and diving at the same time - sounds like heaven to me!

Amiculus wrote:
It would be cool to on the way out dive Pyramid lake. Anyone interested.

Sounds like fun. Does anyone know any dive sites on Pyramid? I'm not familiar with the lake except for having seen it when driving by.
Cephlah

Postby Gearrob » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:12 am

Hey, love this idea. I'd love to be part of it.

[quote]and perhaps a scuba experience for the uninitiated.[/quote]

What do you think about a rack of clear buckets with neckseals on the botom. People could stick there head up into the bucket, we give them a mask and reg, fill the bucket with water and a couple of goldfish and let them breath off the tank for a while.
Happiness or misery is a choice that's always available to us.
Gearrob

Return to 2006 Theme Camps