Theme Camps

Theme Camps

Postby Jacquie O » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:36 am

Hi everyone, next year will be my first burn, not counting my local decompression, which was great. I'd really like to be a part of a theme camp, can anyone reccommend a good one for a virgin burner like myself?
Jacquie O

Postby Killbuck » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:21 am

Whatever you do, DON"T consider Kamp APOKILIPTIKA... we are far too strange, odd and despotic for any first timer. It's that whole neo-sovietski fascist chic thing. End of the world, doom et al.

Hell, we had bodies piled pretty high at BM05, burner-moop is hard to pack out.

Anyway, should you find that better judgement lets you down, you know where to find us.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 pm

What's your favorite science-fiction movie?

I guess we're all "doing" movies this year. :?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

theme camp

Postby ais4ali » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:55 pm

i dont neccesarily reccomend being in a theme camp for your first burn... unless youre going by yourself. It was nice for me to see what i liked, and didnt like about burning man last year, as my first time. You dont want to commit to a camp then feel like youre missing out... so, unless you havea passion for what a certain camp is all about.. id fly solo as a virgin!! you dont HAVE to be officially part of a camp.. because in the end youve been an unofficial part of many camps!
ais4ali

Re: Theme Camps

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Jacquie O wrote:Hi everyone, next year will be my first burn, not counting my local decompression, which was great. I'd really like to be a part of a theme camp, can anyone reccommend a good one for a virgin burner like myself?

i strongly suggest you offer your butt for a good spanking by the greeters
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Hot Wire » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:12 pm

bE awarE, bE awarE, anotheR herrinG iS neaR
Hot Wire
-
"Get the Inside Scoop on Camp APOK-Camp Herring Threads!"
http://www.apokiliptika.com/thread_principles.htm
-
Do you think it should be a death penalty for killing time ?
Hot Wire

Postby Killbuck » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Herring Camp is a Red Herring- APOKILIPTIKA will assimilate them, as we did the Peacekeepers.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Re: theme camp

Postby mamagrrl » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:46 pm

ais4ali wrote: You dont want to commit to a camp then feel like youre missing out...

A lot of folks have a really big misconception about what themecamping is like. It's not all work and effort! It can be even more fun than camping alone! Some camps take lots of daily upkeep and care with schedules and work-shifts and crap (all that herring starts to smell, elsewise) while others are designed to run more autonomously.

One really great thing about SOME themecamps is that you get to know all your campmates BEFORE hitting the dust. Being friends with the folks you're camping with is awesome. Having them offer you bacon in the morning, as you get home from dancing is amazing. Camping in a themecamp that fits you: priceless.

Not that camping by yourself can't be fun too. It's all what you think will fit best.

Damn, where are the fuckin' Osmonds. That was their cue!
mamagrrl

Postby HughMungus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:02 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:What's your favorite science-fiction movie?

I guess we're all "doing" movies this year. :?

I'm not!

I thought of something before the theme and I told all my friends and now they're all gung-ho about it so we're gonna do it.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Question

Postby magicshelly » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:01 pm

I was reading the posts and I am going by myself and I do not know anyone else going yet. I am not really sure how you join a theme camp, is it hooking up with local people or do they start as internet relationships untill you get there. There are not too many burners in this area... Also If I just camp in the non-theme camp area do you think people will still be social enough to help out. I know I am going to have a hard time putting up my tent, however I can make some nice tea for any nice peeps helping me? Any ideas, thank you :lol:
~*~It's All Good~*~
magicshelly

Postby willowRage » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm not sure how you go about finding camps. Our camp the first two years was open to anyone to apply. We would talk to people and see if they meshed with camp and poof you were in. We've stopped doing that because we learned that don't really know someone until you camp with them and by that point it's too late. We are more carefull now.

Try and find burners in your area. Go hang out with them, help them work on their art.. that's a good way. If you can't find people local then try to connect with people online.

On the playa you won't have a problem. If you need help just find someone near by, tell them what you are doing and ask if they can lend a hand. I bet they help out or if they can't the next person in line will. Nice tea is certainly a great to have on hand. Last year we had a very hard time getting our structure up on Monday and there were people just walking by who saw and stoped to help out. We were very thankful. Burners rock!
willowRage

Postby CLARKcon » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:03 pm

magicshelly and Jacquie O- If going alone, I'd suggest camping in the middle of a given block. That way, you are surrounded by good folk, and quite possibly, be in a block where the Theme campers are set up. Just go 360 degrees introducing yourself and seeing if you can help out. You'll have every backstage/ V.I.P pass to any themecamp. The other versitility of going solo is the ability to move... you don't like the local? Just move shop! :)
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Carousel

Postby Rage » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:47 am

Please consider joining Carousel, we need more people!

http://carousel.rtgadvertising.com

You can sign up on the site.

Rage
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince
Rage

theme camps

Postby veleda » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:03 pm

I think it comes down to first figuring out what you are looking for in a theme camp.. What inspires you? Do you like the idea of being part of a camp focused on music and dance? A camp focused on healing? A camp focused on spiritual art? Or maybe fun and zany like bbq barbie heads... :D Participating in a theme camp is in my mind the best way to really experience the playa.

check out what people are doing and wait till a topic excites you.

My camp is focused on ritual and magick.

www.templeofallgods.com
veleda

Postby madmatt » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:59 pm

Don't worry about theme camp/no theme camp...it will be your first time, and it will pretty much blow your mind regardless of where or how you camp.
madmatt

Theme Camp

Postby Rage » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:23 pm

Amen to THAT!!!
Rage

Try Snowflake Village

Postby ericg_wisc » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Snowflake Village has a section for newbies, where you can serve us day and night.

Actually, we DO take on newbies and long-distance travelers especially.

www.clevian.com/snowflake2006
Eric G.
WI Regional Conatct
ericg_wisc

Postby Desert Duck » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 pm

madmatt wrote:Don't worry about theme camp/no theme camp...it will be your first time, and it will pretty much blow your mind regardless of where or how you camp.

I have to second Madmatt's opinion. My first year I randomly camped(by myself)behind a large camp and ended up hanging out with them, then randomly volunteered at the Cafe'. My second year I started volunteering with Recycle, that's what I've done ever since.
Just give yourself the chance just to be there, and if you need a little help, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding it.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Killbuck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:49 pm

Killbuck

We are back up online!

Postby Rage » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:03 pm

We are back up and online!

http://carousel.rtgadvertising.com

Please join us if you are looking for a really cool burn experience this year.
Rage

Return to 2006 Theme Camps