any one thinking about plans for 2006 burn

any one thinking about plans for 2006 burn

Postby malichi707 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:54 pm

I have a couple of ideas for a project in 2006
malichi707

Postby Isotopia » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:24 pm

Thinking of making a chill space based on Sety 1st's egyprian tomb. Dark, low ceilings with heiroglyphics on all walls and ceilings. Interior will be lit with complete indirect light and small torches. Have had the idea floating around for a few years. Was inspired by the links found here http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/ which is probably one of the best educational web sites on the entire net.
Isotopia

Postby HughMungus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:39 pm

Isotopia wrote:Thinking of making a chill space based on Sety 1st's egyprian tomb. Dark, low ceilings with heiroglyphics on all walls and ceilings. Interior will be lit with complete indirect light and small torches. Have had the idea floating around for a few years. Was inspired by the links found here http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/ which is probably one of the best educational web sites on the entire net.

I'm thinking chill space, too (PERHAPS in addition to the necklace-making thing -- not sure if I want to take that on again). I did a chill space for our regional and it was great. One thing I thought of just today is how cool it would be to have a "Slow Dance" theme camp. There are lots of places to dance but I've never seen any dedicated to slow dancing (nothing formal, just the right kind of music and people who want to dance slow and close).
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:09 am

DP if I come next year, I might be into helping at a necklace project type thing. If you do it I can almost certainly donate beads and pendents.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Niacin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:24 am

It's way to early for me to be planning for next year. If that thought is worked into my brain, I'll be forced to focus on it for the next eight months. Great. Thanks a lot.
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

Postby blyslv » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:36 am

DallasPlaya wrote: "Slow Dance" theme camp.

One year (03) some people put up the Slow Dance Pagoda. It was heavenly, nothing faster then 70 BPM.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Sandwichman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:01 pm

We are busy working on plans already. Next year we will be doing a daytime sound camp. The theme of the camp will be Wonderland. We have more than enough ideas to make our camp affordable to create and visually stimulating. We will also plan on doing a few movie nights. And the final icing on the cake it we are working on a system to try and control some of the sound so we can keep our neighbors a little happier.

The plans are in the works for a our money raising events. 3 of them to be exact.
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby Tapestry » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:59 am

I'm thinking about next year-- specifically, how to get to the playa from the Midwest. Gas prices really killed me this year.

One thing I'm thinking about is taking the train. Amtrak's California Zephyr runs from Chicago to the West Coast and back. I could hop it at Omaha and get off at Reno. It's a 36-hour ride. I can even take my bicycle, if I break it down and ship it in a special Amtrak box. I'd still have to find rides between Reno and the playa, but I think I can hitch a ride somewhere.

Cost of the round-trip ticket would be less than half what I spent on gasoline this year, so it's very tempting. Has anybody else done this?
Tapestry

Camp Name: Hair of the Dog

Postby HughMungus » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:40 am

blyslv wrote:
DallasPlaya wrote: "Slow Dance" theme camp.

One year (03) some people put up the Slow Dance Pagoda. It was heavenly, nothing faster then 70 BPM.

Yeah, I was wondering if anybody had ever done it. There was The Necklace Factory before Black RocK Necklace Camp, too. Oh well. Imitation, flattery, etc.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby stuart » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:39 am

this is my plan for '06

call me baby
stuart

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:56 pm

stuart wrote:this is my plan for '06

do you have a plan to remove the water?
I understand JOTS isn't the best source for that.

ducking and running
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby regionalchaos » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:50 pm

I'm planning on building a dome as a communal chill space for my camp. It should be fun!
regionalchaos

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:04 pm

Kinda looks like the playa did with all that late rainfall last year...

Mighta had to make the whole city like that.

There's the theme for next year - Waterworld. Flood the Playa, everyone goes in and out on boats, gotta build the camps on pontoons or stilts, with bamboo pathways between them all.

The man will be made of uncured Playa dust, and instead of burning him, he gets melted using huge high pressure water hoses. Bloop!

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

My 2006 project

Postby phil » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:00 am

Okay, go to
http://www.shiphorns.com/
and scroll down to the photo of the pickup truck.

I _need_ that truck on the playa.
phil

Postby phil » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:01 am

NO, WAIT! Not that other one. THIS one:
http://www.big-horn.com/diagram.html

I NEED this one ALL THE TIME.
phil

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Tapestry wrote:One thing I'm thinking about is taking the train.
Cost of the round-trip ticket would be less than half what I spent on gasoline this year, so it's very tempting. Has anybody else done this?

I've thought about the train, as well as flying- But even though I'm coming from almost twice as far as you (West Michigan) I find that the flexibility of having my own vehicle is worth the extra expense. You DO get to see interesting stuff, though...I always say that you see the BACKSIDE of America from the train, and the UNDERSIDE from the bus.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:20 pm

yeah man,

fuck that bitch tommy bigfinger and his pool. I am having 'pacific ocean camp'. AND it will be private. The real trick will be getting the critters shipped out there for shark feeding at sunset.
call me baby
stuart

Postby robotland » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:24 am

stuart wrote:yeah man,

fuck that bitch tommy bigfinger and his pool. I am having 'pacific ocean camp'. AND it will be private. The real trick will be getting the critters shipped out there for shark feeding at sunset.

Just turn the bass up, and the "critters" should come a-runnin'....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:27 am

Just bought my first junk yesterday $3. It has three $25 parts and one hard to find part. Here comes Mr. saws-all. I tryed a blade called Ugly(Home Depot). Works great on all metal. Priced right too.
Look out! Garage sales are still out there and it not completly safe to go out.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby robotland » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:34 am

Sawzallin's good fun, for sure....I'll bet you'd keep a crowd if you had "Sawzall Camp", with various things to chop up. That was the only thing that kept me happy when I demo-ed the old house's interior. Just chopped a kid's bike in half yesterday (not any PARTICULAR kid's!) for MUV parts.
Oh, Santa.....I'll take the 22V DeWalt cordless recip saw, please....and a cordless power shear for the other hand. Thanks.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:00 pm

robotland wrote:
stuart wrote:yeah man,

Just turn the bass up, and the "critters" should come a-runnin'....

Don't forget a raft out in the middle with bright blinky-lights. The bass will get their attention, the lights will make them go swimming.....
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:14 pm

I'd love to take the train but I need a rig to haul my yurt.
The plan is to take this year easy, concentrate on beating this cancer and getting into optimal health, cruising on my extant infrastructure and join Lamplighters.
The biggest expense I'm laying out this year is $1000 to get a horse trailer that'll hold my yurt, gear, water and bike so my vehicle is open for passengers.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby HughMungus » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:37 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:I'd love to take the train but I need a rig to haul my yurt.
The plan is to take this year easy, concentrate on beating this cancer and getting into optimal health, cruising on my extant infrastructure and join Lamplighters.
The biggest expense I'm laying out this year is $1000 to get a horse trailer that'll hold my yurt, gear, water and bike so my vehicle is open for passengers.

What about renting a trailer?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:33 pm

If you mean O-Hell, fergeddit. I swore off dealing with those asswipes years ago.

A trailer would just be handy for my situation. I have a horse and you can park your trailer free where I board, and a horse trailer can hold a fuckwad of schtuph when I'm not using it for the horse. My plan is to park the car and the trailer at right angles around my yurt and use them for shade/windbreak.

Plus there's a great tack company in Idaho that sells water containers that double as benches, saddle racks, can go up in the hay rack or built to fill the space in a horse trailer's tack room at the front. They hold about 20-30 gallons which is about as much as I need for a Playa haul. All my water in one container, yeah! Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:59 pm

Che Guevarra and I have a little something planned for next year.

viewtopic.php?t=11501&highlight=
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:49 pm

For 2006 I've gotta play with fire. For three years I've been REALLY envious of all you with cool flame effects things but have had to build up other parts of my camp first. I even ordered a very large weedburner as a base for a starter project but it arrived just a week before departure last year. Now I'm ready though! *note...those things make awesome charcoal lighters I've discovered heheh.

Also...to have music in camp that doesn't project obtrusively into neighbor camps there's going to be The Phalic Speaker Tower (working project name). Came across a big 3' roundish/flat-topped aluminum dome off a commercial ventilator in a dumpster, went OOOOO!! and brought it home. The plan is to build a heavy wood speaker box with 15" sub, a couple 10" bass, some 5" mids and a couple tweeters (all downfiring), put the dome on top and have 4-6 2" 10' pipes screw into the bottom for legs. Windchimes and el-wire lighting to be added as whimsy dictates.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby unjonharley » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:04 pm

Damn, How far did you chase that sick hippie to rob him? Or did you just kick his sorry ass out of the homw/dumpster?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:40 pm

What?? No no, see the aluminum dome thing looks like a big wash tub...you know how scary that would look, the hippies would run the other way : )
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:03 am

Our group will be doing Blunderland again next year since it worked so well (chill space/bar in shape of mushroom). I am currently focusing on converting a schoolbus into something magestic (front runner right now is a giant snail, like in the old Dr. Doolittle film). Also batting around thoughts on a dynamic "opera" performed with art vehicles....and of course, trying to figure out how to pay for it all!
dragonfly Jafe

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Ooh, I looove the snail. You'll need a tophat, yes? I have the original Dr. Doolittle books from when I was a kid somewhere around here.

One of the best things we ever purchased for the burn is our flatbed trailer. Already paid for itself in rental fees and is otherwise useful all year. IF you have storage, YES! get your own trailer of whatever configuration suits your needs.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Next

Return to 2006 Theme Camps