Noise from art cars?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Noise from art cars?

Postby dieselcruiserhead » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 am

Question on noise from art cars.. I noticed that there really aren't any art cars that I found that made loud noises.. I have the urge, for some odd reason, to build a muscle couch. Part Muscle Car part couch.. Sort of odd, not really sure why I want to build it, I guess I just "do"

Anyway, I was thinking of strapping on the biggesst loudest meanest V8 I can find with super short headers that will borderline sound like a really loud chopper.. I know it could be a little annoying for neighbors but I am not sure how bg a deal this is.. Are there any noise rules or anything like that?
dieselcruiserhead

Postby Kinetic IV » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:23 am

Have you read this year's theme yet?
http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burnin ... theme.html
Kinetic IV

Postby Badger » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Anyway, I was thinking of strapping on the biggesst loudest meanest V8 I can find with super short headers that will borderline sound like a really loud chopper..

I say run with it. I like the idea that there are still some folks out there willing to swim against the tide of convention - especially as far as the Theme(TM) goes. Hell, find a happy middle ground and do your couch with a diesel powered by bio-fuel.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby geekster » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 pm

"I noticed that there really aren't any art cars that I found that made loud noises"

I know where there is a huge flatbed art car / party barge that is for sale that has a 5-note locomotive air horn on it that I installed back in 2004. It is currently located in San Carlos, I believe. It is a Ford F-750 diesel. Made the trip to/from BRC from the bay area in 04 without trouble but has been parked since as far as I know. I can get you in touch with the owner if you are interested.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby dieselcruiserhead » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:56 pm

[quote="Kinetic IV"]Have you read this year's theme yet?
http://www.burningman.com/art_of_burnin ... theme.html[/quote]

I am actually a raging environmentalist ironically. I've thought a lot about this actually and just came up with the idea of a diesel.. I think I am going to do a something like a 6.2 Gm diesel, non turbo charged of course to get the noise and flames, and run biodiesel.. I am trying to figure out how I can make the flames ignite and I'm not sure about the flame quality of biodiesel and diesel in general.. I was thinking a propane system rigged in the exhaust similar to some of the torch vehicles.. But ignited by the exhaust heat/temp/flames, pushbutton most likely.. I am just learning on propane other than some minor messing around with some other burners' systems.. Not sure how to rig it so flames will shoot out.. Hope no one steals my idea :(
dieselcruiserhead

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:31 pm

I say do the muscle car thing NOW while ya still can! Burning Man is going to get greener and greener with each passing year and have more and more restrictions on fire, speed, drugs, liquor, and noise....in short all the things that make life worth livin'! Let 'er rip Skip! Hot glue a plastic dinosaur to the hood of a '67 Camaro and tear it up. Yeeehaw!

(sorry, I got... a little..out of control there....my bad.) :oops:
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:41 pm

If you want to make a HUGE_ASS bunch of engine noise, pick up a GM/Electromotive ME16E6: 16 cylinder/645cubic inch per cylinder, roots blower and run that un-muffled.... 2100hp at 900 rpm...

Quieter because of turbocharging , but bigger: ME20G7B 20 cylinders/710 cubic inch per cylinder.... 4400 hp at 800 rpm, 5000 at 900rpm

and they are diesel!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:51 pm

I like it... I think the theme needs a counterpoints.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Return to 2006 Art & Performance