Uchoronian/Waffle Blog!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Uchoronian/Waffle Blog!

Postby QueenOfTheBeans » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:16 pm

http://www.uchronians.org/

Poor guys, coming up with that nifty name only to have everybody called it 'that waffle thing' all week ;) Either way though, it was absolutely incredible, and thank you to those who built it. It's forever imprinted on my consciousness.
QueenOfTheBeans

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Does anyone know how to email those guys?
The contact on their sites don't work here.

They shouldn't mind waffle.
It has an entirely different meaning for me now.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby The CO » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:16 am

I thought it looked more like a haystack or a yorkshire pudding. But a waffle, never seen one that looked like that...
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

lexus? anyone....

Postby chadbalster » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:20 pm

has anyone ever seen the lexus commercial with the waffle all over it? i thought less of the sculpture when i found out lexus helped them out...but when lexus turned around and used the sculpture in an ad; in louisville kentucky of all places, i'm sure not all places, that was more surreal than seeing the "skulptur" going up in flames???

is this the message from the future? that mega car companies will OVERfund an art project so that we can see it in a car commercial next month?
"we make great pets" p. farrell
chadbalster

Commercial!?!?!

Postby klebby » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 pm

@*&%$# !!!

Is it on the net anywhere?
Sorry, but I gotta see this to believe it.
klebby

Re: lexus? anyone....

Postby helitack » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:25 pm

chadbalster wrote:has anyone ever seen the lexus commercial with the waffle all over it? i thought less of the sculpture when i found out lexus helped them out...but when lexus turned around and used the sculpture in an ad; in louisville kentucky of all places, i'm sure not all places, that was more surreal than seeing the "skulptur" going up in flames???

is this the message from the future? that mega car companies will OVERfund an art project so that we can see it in a car commercial next month?

Do you think less of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel by Perugino, Botticelli, Ghirlandaio, Rossellini, Signorelli, Pinturicchio, Piero di Cosimo, Bartolomeo della Gatta and Michelangelo because they were sponsored by an entity, the Church?
helitack

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:16 am

I think it was Burning Man that got used, not a waffle.

OTOH the Vatican does allow commercial filming -- I saw the white smoke on four or five networks.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:06 am

I don't understand why the hell burners care what people do outside of the event, after the event. I'd bet it's very common for burners to sell art they had out on the playa, or let people use their images for commercial use. If you think that doesn't happen that playa dust has clogged your brain somewhere.

I'm an engineer and working on some interesting designs for burningman. At this point they seem impractical for any real application but if one comes out of my work you bet I'll patent it and make a buck. My intention is to create something that is fun and cool at burningman but just because iI take it to burningman doesn't take away my right to use it during normal life.

I don't know if the purpose of the waffle was for commercials, but if you're going to start looking at intent is burningman going to become the fucking thought police? It would be an issue if they wanted to create the likeness of something that's already been in a commercial. But then where do you draw the line? Starfuckers and starfucks cafe both make me think of Starbucks and even shares a similar logo, should they close down? Fuck no. To all this drama I have to say, why do you give a fuck and want to govern people more? Isn't that *opposite* to the point of BM as much as commerce is?
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Why do you feel the imperative to so vociferously defend the presumed rights of a group that spent half a million on a burn that probably dwarfed any that's been seen on the playa since the Pleistocene, knowing ahead of time they had an offer neither Burning Man nor Lexus would refuse? Do you work for Halliburton?

Granted, I'm in no position to complain -- just curious, as always, about the mayonnaise-like consistency of ethics wrt Burning Man.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:51 pm

No, but how do you effectively police this, and where do you draw the line?

I think planning an event at burningman for a commercial is anti-burningman.

I think doing something at burningman and then turning down a heap load of money for someone to use it in a commercial would be ridicules and that no burner should be asking someone to do that.

I think trying to prevent either is impossible, so why bother? I think trying to prove the first is going to be thought policing, so why bother? I think if someone admits that they planned a commercial even at BM then they should not be allowed to display their art on the playa, but unless you have a contract with Lexus dated before the burn to send to BMorg, what do you want? Should we chase down all the people who sell their art after it's been displayed on the playa?
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby helitack » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:27 pm

Burning Man is a commercial enterprise.
helitack

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Re: lexus? anyone....

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:45 pm

chadbalster wrote:has anyone ever seen the lexus commercial with the waffle all over it? i thought less of the sculpture when i found out lexus helped them out...but when lexus turned around and used the sculpture in an ad; in louisville kentucky of all places, i'm sure not all places, that was more surreal than seeing the "skulptur" going up in flames???

Next year the waffle will be replaced by Lexus automobiles. Each 2 x 4 by a Lexus.

A sculpture of 2,500,000 Lexus arranged artistically. All to be torched the day after the man burns. Video to be used in a lumber company commercial!!

Think GREEN, drive a tree
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby K-mom » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:37 pm

Damn yo..it's like they're not even trying for new ideas anymore!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:20 pm

A blog. How quaintly 2006.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2006 Art & Performance