I Thought I'd Heard It All-Read This!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

I Thought I'd Heard It All-Read This!

Postby dav725 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 pm

While looking for an extra ticket on Craigs List I came across this ad. This person is advertising companies or individuals to advertise on his or her naked ass at Burning Man. Can you believe this??????????? Here's the ad.

Yes that’s right! On my butt. You may be wondering why anyone would want to pay money for a message on a part of the body that is normally never seen. Let me explain.
The Burning Man event is a completely privatized event with no rules or regulations on appropriate attire.
If you want to prance around naked you can!
In turn this is a unique opportunity to print on an area of the body that has rarely or never been done before.
Be the first company to have done this! This is your chance to show just how unique and BOLD your company is.

Don’t want to advertise on my butt? I am more than willing to sport your company name or logo on my chest, back, arm, or leg. You decide!

What else? If other individuals out there non business affiliated would like to have a message delivered to a loved one or friend I would love to print this on my body as well. Want to ask your wife or husband to marry you at the burn? Here is your chance to get one of the most memorable proposals I’ve ever heard of. I could easily arrange to meet you out at the burn at a specific day and time for your message to be delivered across my chest or wherever else you might want it.
Want to send a message to all those burners out there. Here is your chance.

I will be at the Burning Man event from Aug 28th-Sept 4th This is an entire week of advertising. Where people from all over the world will be able to see your company proudly displayed on my body. Whatever your product may be, I guarantee you will not ever find a more unique and diverse crowd than the Burning Man community. Not only that there is no way to get advertising of your company out there in any other feasible form. Since selling products here are strictly prohibited with the exception of ice and coffee.
YOU GET:
1. ONE SOLID WEEK of advertising: Which will allow no less than at least 30,000 people to potentially see your company name or logo.

2. BOLD DISPLAY: The advertising will be displayed in BOLD lettering using temporary tattoos or you will provide a custom logo temporary tattoo for me to display.

3. DOUBLE TAKES: Due to the unique placement on the body I can confidently predict you will get WAY more attention than any other place on the body.

4. CROWD DIVERSITY: The Burning Man community is made up of people from all over the world, large groups of people from places such as, The United States, Switzerland, Sweden, England, Australia, Canada, etc. These individuals form communities based on : Art, Music, Performance, Engineering, Conservation, etc. As stated directly from www.burningman.com

What else? If other individuals out there non business affiliated would like to have a message delivered to a loved one or friend I would love to print this on my body as well. Want to ask your wife or husband to marry you at the burn? Here is your chance to get one of the most memorable proposals I’ve ever heard of. I could easily arrange to meet you out at the burn at a specific day and time for your message to be delivered across my chest or wherever else you might want it.
“Burning Man is much more than just a temporary community. It's a city in the desert, dedicated to radical self reliance, radical self-expression and art. Innovative sculpture, installations, performance, theme camps, art cars and costumes all flower from the playa and spread to our communities and back again.”

It is impossible to describe how incredibly mixed this community is.

Have a question? I will be happy to address any questions you may have and discuss options and alternatives to your unique needs.

Note: to all you burners out there I am utilizing this unique form of self expression to earn enough money to go to Burning Man and alleviate the impact of not working for the week. Any and all extra proceeds above and beyond my needs will be donated to charitable causes within the Burning Man community or will be used to allow other friends of mine the ability to buy a ticket and go this year, where otherwise they would be unable to go due to financial reasons. I do not wish to turn any profit from this. Only to get out to the Burn…..Cheers !!!and hope to see you out there.
dav725

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:57 pm

no that's wrong! if you can't afford a ticket don't sell yourself on the playa. Sell yourself at the f*cking nude beach!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm

If Yahoo! buys the space, it might be okay with me.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:55 pm

At $280 for a last minute ticket this sort of thing will likely be more common in the years ahead.

And as for who might sponsor her? Golden Palace.com! They love stuff like this.

As far as if it's right or wrong, of course it's wrong. But the ORG can't really do anything about it either. So...the floodgates are about to open and the disneyfication of the event takes another step closer to reality.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:26 pm

I dunno, somehow I don't make the "ass tattoo advertisnig" jump to "disneyfication." Although I do know what you mean.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:30 pm

AntiM wrote:I dunno, somehow I don't make the "ass tattoo advertisnig" jump to "disneyfication." Although I do know what you mean.

I said it takes another step closer to reality. Is it there yet? No. But this sure wasn't a retreat in the other direction either.

I'm sitting here wondering how the dysfunctional org is going to handle this one. Will the Black Rock Rangers be called in for "Ass Patrol" to make sure there are no commercial ads on display? Ok, that's a bit over the top but I couldn't resist.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:24 pm

...maybe we could all pass the hat, by his ass for the week, and put an appropriate message there....any thoughts on what that could be?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Wait now... I thought it was pretty clear that corp. advertising wasn't allowed at BM? WTF?
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby PlayaPetal » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm

ya- I agree cap - no advertising allowed - if they request that rental trucks etc are covered - then so should his nekked ass if it is filled with propaganda...seriously - wtf. Ok - ya - a totally unique form or marketing and someone will probably do it - but I don't like the idea of it at burning man and - hum..ya - wrong... just the opinion I am entitled to.
Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
PlayaPetal

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:31 pm

No advertising allowed?

Lanceland: We power the playa!
(Emblazoned on all those massive generators powering the commissary and center camp)

El Monte RV
Cruise America RV

People cover the Ryder and Penske logos yet I can't recall seeing more than a handful of customizations to the RV logos in 4 years of being out there. So much for that no advertising thing...it's about like the no commerce oxymorons of Camp Artica and the Center Camp Starfucks knockoff. It shouldn't technically be there when the "No Commerce" rules are considered yet it is.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:19 am

FWIW, I don't think this is the sort of thing the LLC is likely to take lightly. I'm just wondering if the lawyers can fix it so the entire event his ass is planted on a potty. seat. Sure, it would make the line at that bank that much longer, but it smells like poetic justice to me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:14 pm

I think it's pretty messed up. There's also a guy on Tribe who's pushing it all too far, too. A burner who started selling stakes and shade because he saw so many people having a hard time of it - innocent enough.

Then about a week or so ago, he started posting in a number of tribes, advertising ON PLAYA DELIVERY as a sales tool, and telling potential customers that he'll have a sign for his company (Trick Concepts) posted at his camp (Death Guild) on the fucking Esplanade.

I can appreciate wanting to help out ppl with last minute orders. But advertising playa delivery as a selling tool, and telling people to look for the company sign on the Esplanade is pushing it way too far in my book.

Even though no money is changing hands on the dust, that does constitute a physical presence and would legally require him to report sales and pay sales tax in the state of Nevada. I can't imagine this has been sanctioned or would be approved by the BM Org.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby doramey fossillotti » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...maybe we could all pass the hat, by his ass for the week, and put an appropriate message there....any thoughts on what that could be?

"kick me"
doramey fossillotti

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Trick Concepts? I thought I read somewhere that they were a reincarnation of the old Black Rock Hardware that offered all sorts of things for sale to Burners as they passed through Gerlach on the way to the playa. If it's one and the same they've been selling ultra strong tent stakes and shade structure stuff for some time now. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but it's not some overnight thing to hit the boards either.

The no commerce thing has been a joke for quite some time...look at all the money we spend getting out there. All I can HOPE for is that the powers that be will keep the commerce down to our current two exceptions and keep the rest of the event commerce free.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:38 pm

I don't know if it's got any connection to Black Rock Hardware... It's run by a member of the Phoenix Projekt from LA. I have no doubts about the quality of the products or the legitimacy of the business.

I just don't think Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or any other business should be using the playa and on-playa delivery. as a selling tool like that.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:16 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:...maybe we could all pass the hat, by his ass for the week, and put an appropriate message there....any thoughts on what that could be?

Appropriate message?? How about...

This ad brought to you courtesy of

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . THE ASSHAT

Bright orange. Big font.

Asshat. hee hee hee...

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 pm

Black Cherry and Vanilla Coke snorted through the nose burns like hell. Thanks BBS!
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby capjbadger » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:21 pm

"Insert Commerce Here"
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby julie_c » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 pm

what about the people who are charging minimum fees to stay in their camp??? isnt that a no-no too?
julie_c

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:42 pm

julie_c wrote:what about the people who are charging minimum fees to stay in their camp??? isnt that a no-no too?

Camp taxes it looks like are here to stay. It's not like they're selling stuff to the masses, the camp tax is a way to let everyone contribute to the ever increasing theme camp production costs. I don't like it but I can see the necessity of it. I'm sure there will be differing opinions but I don't think of it as commerce.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:08 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Camp taxes it looks like are here to stay. It's not like they're selling stuff to the masses, the camp tax is a way to let everyone contribute to the ever increasing theme camp production costs. I don't like it but I can see the necessity of it. I'm sure there will be differing opinions but I don't think of it as commerce.

On top of that, we found that even with a good budget those Wreched Camp Taxes (™ 2005 ДРФК€ЖPLФITCФ) aren't enough to cover costs if you're doing a decent theme camp. A lot of us have personal standby funds in addition to chip in extra when neeed for things like Ice, Gasoline, Gate fees, Empire Store runs, etc. I know a lot of folk who run theme camps leave with a zero balance and VERY light pockets to boot...

Some people I guess can make money on theme camps, which is too bad, because it could make their camps better... or to butcher a phrase...

If only the camp admins had used their profits for evil, instead of no good....

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby blyslv » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Well the Org rakes in $8 million a year, most of it to pay for accomodating the mission creep of various law enforcement agencies. They sell coffee and ice. If they can compromise their holy principles, why can't someone else get a taste?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby The CO » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:19 pm

If he can convince someone to pay him, how are they going to ensure he wears it all week? Send an auditor? Photo evidence could be faked... could be a really good scam to get corporate America to pay for his ticket. Now that I'm fine with.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby The Phat Conductor » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:52 am

i really hope it's a scam and he's just milking a free ticket out of photoshop.

if it's not... whatever happens is his own fault ;)
The Phat Conductor

Postby makoona » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:38 am

If the community responds to the "D" look with a high powered underwear wad projectile aimed and shot at the offending member, I'm confident it will deal with corporate ass syndrome in a similarly appropriate and entertaining fashion.
makoona

Postby blyslv » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:40 am

"BM Is A Commerce Free Zone"

Put your money where your mouth is!

Don't put your outh where the money goes.

Unless you're into that kind of thing.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby joel the ornery » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:16 am

spank-o-matic
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Return to 2006 Art & Performance