Wednesday: The Temple Of Breaks!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Wednesday: The Temple Of Breaks!

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:08 am

Okay, so this is the event that my camp (Space Island) organizes and pulls together each year.

After night falls on Wednesday night, we load the Space Wench with gear and set sail for the temple. Upon arrival, we drop a sound system on the dust and essentially "steal" the temple, switching on the power and transforming the Temple Of Hope into the Temple Of Breaks. We then serve up some of the greatest DJ's in the world (in my opinion) and dance all through the night. As an added bonus, you'll be at the temple to watch what I'm willing to bet will be the most amazing sunrise you've ever seen. For those not familiar, the temple has historically been one of, if not the most beautiful and ornate structures on the playa. It also spends its days being a somber place of reflection and honoring the dead, before it gets burned on Sunday night. As an Irishman and a Space Pirate, I'm a firm believer in honoring the dead through celebrating life, and dancing the night away with friends just seems perfect to me.

As the event has evolved, it's grown to also become a sort of parade of art cars throughout the night (if you're an art car driver, please swing by). Through both word of mouth and people stumbling upon the Temple Of Breaks, it's become something to see in its own right. Last year, we had one of the best performance of the week from Miracle Gro (the giant 80 foot flower)

Good plan, eh? Well, with no Space Wench on the dust this year you can imagine that the plan was in jeopardy. Rumors that there would be no Temple Of Breaks started circulating over the last couple weeks. For Space Island and the Los Angeles Breakbeat Association, this event has always been a huge collaboration. We've been scrambling for the last couple weeks to try and find a way to make this all happen - while there are still some details to be worked out (specifically I'm still trying to get enough generators, so if you know of someone who's got a 3,000-5,000 watt generator they'd be willing to let us use on Wednesday night *please* let me know), all systems are go.

With the help and support of The Do Lab, Abundant Sugar, Mekka Oasis, The Purgatory Cruisers, Tucker, and of course LABA, I'm very proud to be able to say that not only will there be a Temple Of Breaks, but it will likely be our most amazing event to date. 20,000 watts of sound (or more), and amazing performances by some of the world's best. Plus an incredible parade of mutant vehicles. I'm intentionally not naming the DJ's on the lineup, I'll leave that to each individual performer to publicly talk about their involvement. Message me privately if you really want to know info about the lineup, but come to our soiree because this sounds like a great idea and a wonderful celebration.

~Trilo~

trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby domitron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:18 pm

AWESOME!!! I wish I had more than my tiny 1000 watt generator for you, but I am sure you'll find helpers.
domitron

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:38 am

Any little bit helps, my friend. Your generator can drive one of the Mackie subs with some overhead in there too (which is good, I don't want to have to push anyone's generator for a long stretch of time).

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby djplusone » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:52 pm

hey la burner here that's happy to donate the use of my lil genny too. she ain't much but she pushes power to my two 15" jbl eons nicely.
housemusic
djplusone

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:16 pm

I'll take whatever help we're able to get. We can use yours to support the decks, and larger ones to drive the bins... Thanks for your support!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby GonzoRock » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:52 pm

Sounds Way over the top Fabulous! Hope it all works out!
GonzoRock

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks!

Update: The amazing mutant vehicle known as DEX (the Disori6nt EXpress) will be joining us, and the Disori6nt camp will be bringing sound. That should push us to over 30,000 watts of sound.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dave Sweeten » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Looks like fun! 8)
Dave Sweeten

Burning Since: 2001

Return to 2006 Art & Performance