Taking playa vehicle to BM without permit, the wisdom of it?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Taking playa vehicle to BM without permit, the wisdom of it?

Postby makoona » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:11 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ ... rembot.jpg

This is DREMBOT. Last year she was towed by a human powered tug. This year I'm dressing a small scooter in whale clothing and "swimming" across the playa on said "whale". (wind was too strong for using tandem bike power last year). the thing is, I didn't get a pre-registration in, and now it's closed. What happens at the gate when I don't have a preregistration for a rig like this? ie, measley.
makoona

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:32 pm

Worst case? you park it.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:40 pm

Ouch.

This late in the game, as heartbreaking as it is, I would leave it home. You MUST have it pre-registered by DMV, have the "OK and bring it" letter. Otherwise, you will prolly have to either park it in the impound lot at the gate (yuck) on the way in, or if you're really lucky you can park it at camp as a stationary art item.

Either way, I figure the chances of being able to run it under non-human power are somewhere between "Nil" and "None".

Saying that... bring the human power system (if possible) for it, and run it human powered, or at least have that option. You *may* be able to get someone to OK it, but you're looking at a like -99.99999999997 chance of that happening.

Rule of thumb - if you even THINK you're gonna do an MV, get your concept and whatnot sent in WAY early. I have one for next year thought out, and will be subbing the thing when DMV prereg opens for 07. Even if it doesn't get built, if it's ready to go it'll be ready to go.

Hugz...
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:47 pm

this represents a typical sort of thread we see at this time of year:

I didn't plan, didn't make my deadlines and now I want to finagle it.

Sorry. You are dealing with a huge event, staffed mostly by volenteer labor, that doesn't run all year round and has a tremendous amount of logistical stuff it has to do in the next two weeks. No one has time to deal with stragglers, however worthy, anymore.

SOOL.

BBSue is right, make sure that the permissions are part of your planning process.

Yeah, I'm a last minute sort of person too in a lot of ways. I was the one who was cracking hte whip and imposing an artificial deadline on my theme camp people, because I didn't want to let them down by not getting in the application on time. (and thank you once again, Rockdad.)
Yes, the spontenaity of the early years of the event is missed. It's been traded for the opportunity of more people getting to enjoy it.

Life is change.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby makoona » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:49 pm

oooooooh. My heart just sank.

Thanks for the heads up though.
makoona

Postby blyslv » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:50 pm

On the other hand, high zoot party treats and other Items* of Value might go a long way to making the DMV goon see things your way.

*Or actions (hint hint).
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby makoona » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:53 pm

"On the other hand, high zoot party treats and other Items* of Value might go a long way to making the DMV goon see things your way.

*Or actions (hint hint)."

my heart just did a u-turn!
makoona

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:00 pm

Well, put your heart in park, 'cause that's what your vehicle is going to do.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:46 pm

makoona wrote:"On the other hand, high zoot party treats and other Items* of Value might go a long way to making the DMV goon see things your way.

*Or actions (hint hint)."

my heart just did a u-turn!

Agree with the rest, don't even bother. It ain't gonna happen.

Unless of course you like to start your week on the playa with misery.

Leave it at home, or bring human power.

Put in an application for '07 as soon as they allow.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ibdave » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:57 pm

The only way to do it this late was to have a Handicap permit.. Takes the Doctor to sign off on that..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby makoona » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:08 am

[quote="AntiM"]Well, put your heart in park, 'cause that's what your vehicle is going to do.[/quote]

hee hee... that's cute. I totally get where you all are coming from. It's a huge event with logistical nightmares, they can't have nikenpoops like me showing up late asking that exceptions be made. As a cyclist, I'm all for keeping un-mutated motorheads off the road.

*sigh*
makoona

Re: Taking playa vehicle to BM without permit, the wisdom of

Postby wedeliver » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:52 am

You hope to take it but you fear they will not let you bring it inside. If I understand the process's taking place here you must bring it. You have to find out what the future holds, if you don't try did you really live and burn? Perhaps find a handicaped person who can help you out. I only suggest this in the spirt of Burning Man. Good luck and many hugs to come

makoona wrote:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/makoona/drembot.jpg

This is DREMBOT. Last year she was towed by a human powered tug. This year I'm dressing a small scooter in whale clothing and "swimming" across the playa on said "whale". (wind was too strong for using tandem bike power last year). the thing is, I didn't get a pre-registration in, and now it's closed. What happens at the gate when I don't have a preregistration for a rig like this? ie, measley.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 am

If you did bring it, here is what you should expect;

Upon entering the city with a mutant vehicle without paperwork, the gate folks will get a bit excited then have you park your unregistered art vehicle in the quarantine zone OUTSIDE the gate (ie-not particularly protected, so don't leave expensive easily taken stuff on it). If you are convincing, you MAY be allowed to take it into the city and park it in camp until you leave for home. If you are caught violating this trust (assuming it is given), you could be ejected from the event.

Next, no DMV hotty will want to deal with you unless;

it is very early in the week and there are no lines.
it is very late in the week and there are no lines.

Even then, you are going to have to put your best schmooze on, and pull off a miracle in convincing a drastically overworked VOLUNTEER to take yet more time away from their burn experience in order to start the paperwork and process you through months after everyone else jumped through the required hoops. In other words, you better be a silver tongued devil with one hell of a bribe.

On the other hand, if you rip out the power unit, it is just a bike, so no limitations apply. If nothing else, could it be an "in-camp" sitting spot and photo op art piece?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 am

Mutated or not, you didn't get your registration done in time. In previous years you could register on the playa or get away with doing that, but you can't do that this year.

The price of gas is through the roof - you'll probably get much better gas mileage by not bringing stuff all the way out to the playa that you couldn't even use - leave the vehicle behind, and maybe sometime in the next 10 1/2 months you can register it for next year's event.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby makoona » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Ah... the Plot thickens...

Thanks for all the insight from everyone! Right now I'm torn between the two camps of thought: leave it, take it.

But, as it turns out, my Dad is joining our camp this year for the first time and boy oh boy, is he ever handicapped! In so many more ways than medically! I invited him because he's the poster child for burningman, usually naked or in costume and drives a little convertible filled with large and small stuffed animals. He's got bladder cancer and a stent in his heart, among other things, and can't quite handle a bike anymore. He's got the official WA state blue handi-tag already. The thing is, according to BORG, a scooter can't be a handi-vehicle. Plus registration is closed for handi-vehicles. I was hoping to at least tow the Drembot with him in it. I would feel awful if he had a medical emergency out there and I couldn't pedal him back to the medi-tent fast enough!

Another thought, and a fiendish one at that! I could pack up my scooter and drive from Reno to BM with that as my main transportation! Sneaky, huh?

In any case, I'm willing to take it along with playa spirit, and if it gets parked, so be it. Just means I won't get to serve warm chai tea to as many frigid night burners as I'd hoped.
makoona

Postby mojo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:03 pm

I do love your attitude - your dad should have a way to get around. Maybe there is another form of tow vehicle that would work for him as a handicapped vehicle too?

Good Luck!!
mojo

Postby gaminwench » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:20 am

makoona...call someone from OBOP(ojai bureau of pleasure)...we have a rickshaw and two legal artcars...if your dad needs a ride on the playa, we can probably help out...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 am

makoona wrote:Ah... the Plot thickens... as it turns out, my Dad is joining our camp this year for the first time and boy oh boy, is he ever handicapped... got the official WA state blue handi-tag already. The thing is, according to BORG, a scooter can't be a handi-vehicle. Plus registration is closed for handi-vehicles...

Question. Have you contacted Burning Man directly and asked them? I would do that like yesterday.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby makoona » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks Wench, I'll give them a shout. Met some of them last year, nice people. And gonna drop a line to dmv@burningman tomorrow and see what they can do for me.. thanks.
makoona

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:46 pm

Um... instead of using your dad to scam the BM Org, how about letting him use the vehicle?

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby GonzoRock » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 am

More HOPE, Less FEAR! Just Do It. The more I see it the more it looks like an art project for camp to me ;-) The whale sounds awesome!
GonzoRock

Postby makoona » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:14 pm

Thanks WeDeliver, Mojo and Gonzo! and all of you! with your contagious attitude of hope and possibility, things have started to work out a bit.
If you see Drembot ghosting across the dreamscape, hitch a ride!
makoona

Postby burnerboy33 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:48 pm

I say bring it as human powered, at least others would get to enjoy seeing it also. Human powerd means no regulations.
burnerboy33

Return to 2006 Art & Performance