Looking for sky lanterns

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby SED » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:21 am

Kinetic IV wrote:An Anti-Missile camp defense system? Surely those fine folks at Apokiliptika Labs have already cooked up something in that regard. It's just a matter of figuring out what to trade them in exchange for the technology.

Not sure on this, but I think Captjbadger would rule that as commerce. Now if you extorted it, I think you could get by.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:27 am

SED wrote:Hydrogen, on the other hand . . . oh, the humanity!
Hasn't it been proven that that little conflagration was a result of the paint and not the hydrogen?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby falk » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:58 am

Google is your friend:

http://www.gio.gov.tw/info/festival_c/html_e/sky.htm
http://www.skylanterns.com/

Yes, it's a paper lantern that floats into the air. Sounds like a double-plus ungood idea at BM.
falk

Postby capjbadger » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:05 pm

SED wrote:
Kinetic IV wrote:An Anti-Missile camp defense system? Surely those fine folks at Apokiliptika Labs have already cooked up something in that regard. It's just a matter of figuring out what to trade them in exchange for the technology.

Not sure on this, but I think Captjbadger would rule that as commerce. Now if you extorted it, I think you could get by.

Yeah! Screw commerce! Attack Apok Labs and take what you want! ;) LMAO

I've got my own cannon to shoot those little floating firebombs down already. MWAHAHAHA...

All kidding aside, floating, flaming mini-blimps over a windy tent city?? Very bad idea... wow

Didn't Japan try something similar in WWII? Floating fair bomb balloons over the Pacific to hit the west coast and start wildfires as I recall...
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby ibdave » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Back in 98-00 somebody released the lanterns during the week... They are very cool to watch. You hope to see them burn and rain down burning embers... Now that was then and this is now a much more PC event.
Yes they might be a MOOP factor. As far as a burning factor reaching the ground I would'nt thinks so from the one I saw.. They were very fine paper and light stick. Balsa wood maybe.. But from what I saw the whole thing lifted well into the 500 ft range.

That my worthless 2 cents worth..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:56 pm

SED wrote:Not sure on this, but I think Captjbadger would rule that as commerce. Now if you extorted it, I think you could get by.

I always extort, or use my overflowing charisma to make people want to give me stuff. Like their boyfriends, or their drinks. Strangely, it takes more work to get the drinks.....
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:40 am

The drinks don't talk back or borrow your lingerie.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:02 pm

Eric wrote:
SED wrote:Not sure on this, but I think Captjbadger would rule that as commerce. Now if you extorted it, I think you could get by.

I always extort, or use my overflowing charisma to make people want to give me stuff. Like their boyfriends, or their drinks. Strangely, it takes more work to get the drinks.....
Oddly enough you just extorted $50 from me, you stud you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rockdad » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
SED wrote:Hydrogen, on the other hand . . . oh, the humanity!
Hasn't it been proven that that little conflagration was a result of the paint and not the hydrogen?

I thought it was sabotage(IED)
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog
Rockdad

heyya

Postby Skarecrow » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:34 am

not that I was being rude about not responding.. I just have almost no time as of late. my uncle passed away, and I wanted to make a prayer sky lantern to send up in memmory.

so technically, had nothing really to do wit hthe burn, I just thought since I had seen them at many burns before.. someone may have known how to make these cheaply.

i've been trying to make them from rice paper, glue, wire, and sterno ... but nothing but a fireball comes out of it.

sorry if I came off rude or didn't explain better.

they are paper (seemingly) balloons fueled by candle or fire... and cary prayer messages to the heavens.
If you throw a cat out of a car window... is it kitty litter?
Skarecrow

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 am

Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry for your loss; it can be such a shock.

Like I said, they are beautiful and I understand why you'd want to use them. Good luck.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby makoona » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 pm

Those look pretty neat, I wish I'd known of them back when I lived on a beach.

I have a mystery item I saw out on the playa in 04. It was attached to a bicycle, a long bendy rod about 12 feet long, made of metal or maybe fiberglass... and it had a small flame at the top that cast a really nice circle of light to light the bike and it's environ. the amazing thing is that the flame stayed lit no matter how hard the wind blew or how fast the rider went. (was a breezy night)... it looked sort of like a kerosene flame.. but not sure. there was no wick .. anyway.. it was very cool, i'd love to have one for my bicycle.

anyone ever see one of these?
makoona

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:11 pm

...we used to make cheapo ones (on our lake) using just a sheet of newspaper and a pin. When folded a certain way, a portion could be lit and the fire provided both light and lift. When there was no wind, they would lift up, burn up, then drift as a glowing cinder ball until it turned to ash and fell apart. Of course, this was over a lake...

...anywhere in BRC I think these kind of things would be a bad idea. Way to much polyester and gasoline to imagine this going well if one came down in the city...

On the other hand, I have seen tethered weather balloons filled with helium and an LED or other light placed inside (with a thin wire going up the string to power it). These light up a large area with diffuse lighting, and work well to find your way home. Is this what the original poster was talking about?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Previous

Return to 2006 Art & Performance