Do you sing bass? A capplaya needs you, man!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Do you sing bass? A capplaya needs you, man!

Postby Bonnie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Acapplaya is looking for a bass. We're a six voice jazz a cappella group that sings all over god's back yard, or at least, all over brc. You don't have to sign anything. Just learn some cool tunes and sing with us. Its a blast, really, and you get to rehearse with topless chicks. shoot me an email or hit reply if this is up your esplanade. bonnie at proteadev dot com. Seriously, its a freaking blast.

baritone larynx

Postby orangepeelmoses » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:51 am

eye do
(eardrum "Nocturnal Creatures" at

bass singer

Postby Breakfast » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:24 am

I sing bass and have sung with classical choirs, medieval ensembles, and barbershop quartets. I'm very interested in singing with y'all at the burn. Hit me up if you're still looking for someone.

Hi Breakfast

Postby Bonnie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:55 am

Hi Breakfast,

Thanks for your post! We are looking for a bass for this year's event. Let me tell you more details, and you can think about whether or not this is up your alley!

Music - our group does six voice, mostly jazz. It's definitely a different genre than classical and barbershop. We always have a five to six song set. So far this year, I have two of our songs picked out. Should have the remainder soon. For now though, check the two we have so far on my website:
http colon slash slash www dot proteadev dot com/Acapplaya/Charts/
Check out the mp3s for:
Lost In Burningman
Be sure to check out the lyrics sheet on Lost in Burningman, the mp3 is Lost in Canada. Disregard the other tunes. They're from years past.

The commitment- basically, you need to have all the charts memorized and perfected (dynamics, phrasing, breathing, style) by the time you leave for the event. Then, we have a rehearsal on Tuesday evening of burn week, and start performing on Wednesday. Our first gig is at center camp at 12:30pm this year. We perform a coule of hours each day, leaving plenty of time for shiny objects. Our last performance is Saturday, so you would have to be there Tuesday through Saturday. I don't have to tell you that it's very difficult to get six people to be at a certain place at a certain time at burning man, so the members need to be somewhat responsible.

Prior to the event - It is shaping up that this year, all the members are going to be from the Bay Area. This gives us a unique opportunity to have one or two rehearasals prior to the event. Where are you located?

The experience - is mind blowing. Amongst the thump-thump-thump of electronica everywhere, no one expects a cappella jazz. We do a combination of scheduled performances and wander and sing. The wander and sing is so much more rewarding than the performances, that I schedule more wander time than scheduled gig time. I can't even begin to tell you how rewarding and fun acapplaya is.

Get back to me and let me know if this sounds like something you can and would like to do. Listen to the charts and make sure they're not only something you would enjoy singing, their complexity is comparable to your skill level. If you're in the bay area, we can schedule a casual audition.

Let me know what you think! Email me at bonnie at proteadev dot com

Thanks, Breakfast,

Playa hugs,

Postby jizzelle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 am

i don't do bass, but i am amazing with trout. (specifically, trouser)

Return to 2006 Art & Performance