The Woman Burns Sunday Night!!!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

The Woman Burns Sunday Night!!!

Postby Glimmer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:37 pm

On Saturday night in Black Rock City, The Man burns every year. On Sunday night in The Future, a pregnant Mother will burn right where he stood, to mourn the loss of her unborn child. Please help her at www.fireinbelly.com!

Every pregnancy involves a woman’s greatest hopes and fears, and 20% of all first pregnancies in the US are lost pre-birth. It happened to me. No one knows why, and we have no rituals in our culture to process that grief. “Fire in the Belly” was born so we can all release this pain in a ritualistic catharsis for everyone that has ever lost a child, or hoped for one, or feared for one.

The installation will consist of an extremely pregnant woman flanked by pagodas containing a child’s nursery (hope) and a doctor’s waiting room (fear) – the same pagodas that adorned the SF Precom stage. It will all be Playatech on steroids - giant 3D plywood puzzles with no fasteners in sight. All surfaces will be whitewashed for purity and writing messages, and the pagodas will contain simple altars for offerings and solemn ceremonies.

On Sunday, we hope to move the entire installation to where The Man stood, though some fear it cannot be done. As you return to BRC from the Temple embers, fire will ignite from The Mother’s womb to consume the installation, releasing the sorrows and fears of all parents to the heavens.

Please participate in a big wood installation and burn that will bring tears and cheers to so many in our midst that need closure. Fire in the Belly is sure to be the hottest miscarriage in history, and we still need team members, lots of blacklights, and another thousand bucks to buy wood. So, if you've ever hoped or feared for a child, please participate somehow, and/or gift whatever you can - we've got a ton of art to build soon, so instead of fundraising we'd rather offer psychic tickets to catharsis at www.fireinbelly.com. We promise to process participants’ hopes and fears about parenting more powerfully than any therapist ever dreamed.

Leaving no trace of her anguish as The Man did before her, The Mother will free us all to begin the magic of creating another child. Please help her…
Glimmer

Postby hunter S » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:36 pm

O.K.???... damn lot of emotional stuff for me but if you burn it ...I will come.
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!
hunter S

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:53 pm

FYI: The first link works, the second one doesn't work for me.

This is a very interesting project. So much so that I donated to the effort. I can't really do anything else to help it except offer that donation and my best wishes for it's success. Good luck to all involved!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby we0ne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 pm

This sounds so wonderful and powerful. I will be donating funds too. I have also posted your project site on the kidscamp chat group. Best of Luck, I can't wait to see her!

Peace.
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 am

Kinetic IV wrote:FYI: The first link works, the second one doesn't work for me.

That's because of the period.

Great concept. This is the way to go!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Tears well up. lump in my throat...

Postby polykarmatic » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:41 am

I'm so moved... This is why I love Burning Man so much. This Project is my personification and my perfect symbol of Fear Hope and the Future..

I want to help, I want to be involved.. I'm already connected and emotionally involved and I've only been aware of this for 15 minutes.. It's touched me and I suspect it will touch a great many here...

Thanks for giving me back my focus, energy and a reason...

james
"I am... We are... It is.."
quote from the guy in the hat
polykarmatic

Postby phoenix from the playa » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:31 pm

What a fine concept! All around!

Brings me to the questions:
1) Is it possible to keep some fire from The Man aglow to help ignite Burning Women Sunday?
2) Being that you plan to burn her after the Temple burns, is it possible to kindle her with Fire from the Temple?

phoenix phrom playa
Ignore Alien Orders!
phoenix from the playa

Kindle the fire for the woman

Postby Glimmer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:09 pm

Pheonix,

Actually, the problem will be the opposite. The 'Man' embers burn hot through Monday so we have to design a screen to protect the three structures from prematurely catching fire.

No worries; when we add accelerant to the embers, she will ignite quite quickly!

Glimmer
Glimmer

bump

Postby polykarmatic » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:28 pm

bump....
polykarmatic

Postby we0ne » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:58 pm

Bump
" Isn't it wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world" Anne Frank
we0ne

Re: The Woman Burns Sunday Night!!!

Postby wedeliver » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 am

Your idea has touched me deeply and I feel your pain. I do wish to point out that miscarriage is just one way that a child is taken. We (my wife actually) had to have an abortion (twins) and we still grieve. I will make a donation to your effort and through tears I thank you. love
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Desert Duck » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:08 am

(low chanting)

Ohhmmmmmmmm.

(consider this a nudge)
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

did some one say "bacon"?

Postby polykarmatic » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:05 pm

Wish I were there to help with the work nights you guys.....

james
polykarmatic

Postby we0ne » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:37 am

Bump.
we0ne

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:46 am

I wonder how this project is coming...It's one of the few projects that instantly compelled me to open my pocketbook and donate to it. I hope it succeeds.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

It already has - imo

Postby polykarmatic » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:24 am

"I hope it succeeds"

From my own personal viewpoint Fire in the Belly has already been successful. It's given me focus and a tangible way too attach emotions and feeling to something. The love for a child not yet born.. "Fear and Hope and the Future" eloquently represented.

Thanks for your support Kinetic

http://www.fireinbelly.com/index.htm

james
Lincoln Nebraska
polykarmatic

Postby polykarmatic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:29 pm

bump...
polykarmatic

Postby we0ne » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:27 am

bump
we0ne

Return to 2006 Art & Performance