drummer looking to jam with a dj this year

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

drummer looking to jam with a dj this year

Postby JohnHollis » Thu May 04, 2006 12:34 am

Hey there- my name is hollis and I'm a musician in seattle wa. This will be my fourth burn and I'm bringing my drums down again this year. I've played on the playa before and really got off on it. We had an artcar that threw out alot of sound that I played along with, people came around and rode along, danced, it was really amazing. I'd really like to play at a camp with a dj this year. I've been playing for a long time and know how to keep up with fast techno/elec, tribal house, d&b, good funk or just cool mixes of good tunes. If you were in seattle and saw Hedwig & the Angry Inch at ReBar a few years ago I was in that. Anyway if someone is out there interested in adding a live element to a dj set I'd like to talk to you. I think it would be really powerful and fun.
¡Véale en la playa!
Hollis :wink:
JohnHollis

Sounds like fun.....

Postby spacelotus » Thu May 04, 2006 8:31 pm

Yeah I think it would sound great to have drums playing to a mix of mine. Have you drumed to techno before? If I can find a spot to play you are more then welcome to jam. Check out my techno mix at http://www.phamilygathering.com/spacelotus.htm . Good luck in your search.

Peace,
Spacelotus
Om Mani padme Hum
spacelotus

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camposanto

Postby Cabanasprings » Thu May 04, 2006 8:59 pm

How about I bring all my gear and set it up for you two to play. I'll set up the stage and provide all the power. And when you guys are done, I'll clean up all the mess and pack everything up and go home. Just knowing I did that for you two, will make the whole trip worth the trouble.
Cabanasprings

Postby spacelotus » Thu May 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey bro to make a spontanious production like this would be a great time. Don't worry you wouldn't have to do it yourself. I would be glad to help.

Peace,
Spacelotus
Om Mani padme Hum
spacelotus

Postby sake1 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:40 pm

I am a DnB Emcee and would love to rock with you guys if you want....let me know
sake1

this is great...

Postby JohnHollis » Sat May 06, 2006 2:22 pm

I like where this might be going....!
Spacelotus I'm diggin your trk right now, Its great! a cool soulful deep house groove, very chill, very positive.
so the drums I bring to the burn are not cumbersome, easily moved. I've played in alot of different contexts, spacerock/shoegazer, funk, new wave, country weeper, glamrock theater, heavy metal etc. and I've definitely played enough techno to feel comfortable rolling with it, faster, slower, backbeat, breakbeat, freakout- I'm good with it. I've actually been exploring alot of jungle/d&b/idm stuff lately. I like the consistency of a dj with the live element of a drumkit or a bass to set off, set it on fire. I saw this configuration in 2003 at WOW where this outstanding dj spun with this amazing bass player and its annoyed me to this day. Cabanasprings, of course it would be a pleasure to help build and strike a station to work in. Sake1 please join us, really getting into DnB lately.
Hollis
JohnHollis

Postby mdmf007 » Mon May 08, 2006 9:20 pm

You from Port Angeles john?
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby JohnHollis » Tue May 09, 2006 12:02 pm

Nope I live in Seattle, I've lived and played here for about 15 years.
JohnHollis

Re: this is great...

Postby sake1 » Mon May 15, 2006 11:47 am

[quote="JohnHollis"]I like where this might be going....!
Spacelotus I'm diggin your trk right now, Its great! a cool soulful deep house groove, very chill, very positive.
so the drums I bring to the burn are not cumbersome, easily moved. I've played in alot of different contexts, spacerock/shoegazer, funk, new wave, country weeper, glamrock theater, heavy metal etc. and I've definitely played enough techno to feel comfortable rolling with it, faster, slower, backbeat, breakbeat, freakout- I'm good with it. I've actually been exploring alot of jungle/d&b/idm stuff lately. I like the consistency of a dj with the live element of a drumkit or a bass to set off, set it on fire. I saw this configuration in 2003 at WOW where this outstanding dj spun with this amazing bass player and its annoyed me to this day. Cabanasprings, of course it would be a pleasure to help build and strike a station to work in. Sake1 please join us, really getting into DnB lately.
Hollis[/quote]

SWEET! glad you are likeing the track as well....definetly sounds like this could turn into a really fun project feel free to contact me directly at sake1absk(at)yahoo.com to disscuss this further...you are in the seatlle area by the way?? I am just the other side of the mountains of you in Spokane if so....get at me when you have time...Sake1
sake1

Postby SED » Mon May 15, 2006 11:52 am

I've been wanting to do this for a while--drum to techno. Not sure if I'll make it to the burn this year, but if I do, I'd like to hook up with you. Any ideas?
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby mo_corleone » Mon May 15, 2006 2:10 pm

i'm always interested in adding live instrumentation to my sets. hollis: let me find out where i'm spinning this year and i'll send you a PM with the details when the time comes. i'm probably going to be playing a lot more dnb (as opposed to house and breaks) this year on the playa than in years past. i'll keep you posted as things pan out.
~ erratically self-sufficient ~
mo_corleone

Sounds like we have something going here....

Postby spacelotus » Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 am

Hey Guys this is sounding very fun. I have been busy with finals but if anyone wants to chat about this I am ready and looking forward to it. I am in the process of getting a place to play so I will keep you posted on what happens.

Peace yall,
Spacelotus
Om Mani padme Hum
spacelotus

ok this is getting really interesting

Postby JohnHollis » Tue May 23, 2006 11:37 pm

Hey I'm sorry I've been offline for the past week. I think the idea of a series of djs that would like to spin is a great idea. I think between thos of us who have posted on this thread and those who might post in the near future we have enough to get this idea started. Ok so cabanasprings originally offered a sound system for us to utilize so I contacted him and his crew has decided to do something entirely different. At this point what we might need is a staging contribution, some of sound reinforcement in particular. Lets find someone interested in this idea and bring them in. Obviously everyone is invited to partke in this, I think the more the better, we'll all get tired at some point right?!
What do you all think?
JH
JohnHollis

Postby SED » Wed May 24, 2006 9:10 pm

If you're talking about staging, it's an entirelyu different animal than what you first suggested. I mean. that's a great idea, but it's pretty closer to the burn to begin planning staged events.

Seems like the thing to do is contact an established dj and get the set, then develop a beat to mix in with it.

Otherwise, I think that if you're going to the trouble of staging a drum/tech event, it would be a good idea to find a quick way of working other percussionists into the mix. Like troll the playa and see you can play to the beats scheduled for that evening.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby spacelotus » Fri May 26, 2006 1:40 pm

Sed you made a great point. It is best for us to just play together spontaneously with our sets. Most of us will not find out where we are playing until the night of so if we can all keep intouch up to the burn then we will have a better chance of helping everyone out and have a fun time. Besides I built a 100 person strong camp back in 2004 and I am looking forward to just wondering around and playing where I can and helping out who needs it. A drummer should be able to acompany any kind of set so no matter who is playing I think it would be fun for drums to be added. Good luck eveyone.

Peace,
Spacelotus
www.phamilygathering.com
Om Mani padme Hum
spacelotus

Postby K-mom » Fri May 26, 2006 4:21 pm

Hollis- Were you the one riding around in that jail cell behind the golf cart, with dude - "King ____??" - driving, and a laptop playing tunes.... you were playing the kit and some other guy was playing sax? Was that yhou?
I might be wrong, but if that was you I jumped on with you guys the first night (Wed. I thnk it was) you had the rig up n running, and you even let me play your kit for a bit. But anyhow, whether or not that was you, i'd love to link up with this plan, especially if the D&B emcee is gonna be there. I'm planning to bring my handrums, brand new birthday present rain stick, and possibly even my xylo. Keep me updated:

k.is4keith@gmail.com

peace!
-k.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby sake1 » Tue May 30, 2006 3:57 pm

sounds good K-mom I will be in attendance :D
sake1

K-mom you are on top of it

Postby JohnHollis » Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 pm

you got it buddy that was us. Very impressed that you made that association wow! We hauled that beloved spectacle all over the playa (while the batteries held out) and played all night. Not planning to put the drums in the artcar this year, it will be more of a passenger vehicle this year, so that frees up the drums for more flexible play.

I suppose if we keep in touch we can make something happen, (I became rather fond of the idea creating our own area).
Anyone out there interested in jamming like this we are looking for you too.
Have drums- will roll to your party at brc!
XXHollis
JohnHollis

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Sake1 and Senor Hollis-

I would love to have you two around for my live PA. The drums would be a welcome addition and some with the MC. Or even just over a dj set would be nice and swell.
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:04 pm

Oh and we do have sound and a complete setup.

Ps Mo this year I will talk to you about playing at my camp.
Sandwichman

Sandwichman lemme tell you...

Postby JohnHollis » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:41 pm

if you let me know your projected (or known) location and the name of your camp I'll roll by with a ton of energy, a mirrored drumkit and a bottle of something special...
that sounds like a great time
JohnHollis

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:58 pm

Sorry about the delay in email response. I will get back to shortly here.
Sandwichman

Postby K-mom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:33 pm

It was no great feat of association - I simply recognized your name - Hollis. Anyways if you guys, Sandwichman and Sake wanto keep me informed I'd anticipate some percussion-trance jams and ideally crowds of people getting off on it.
peace&tanx
-k.
K-mom

Postby K-mom » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:35 pm

and my offer includes another bottle of speciality, possibly in bottle form, or elsewise......
K-mom

Postby sake1 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:58 am

nice one will do....this year is gonna be soooo much fun!!! :D
sake1

Dnb Dj..

Postby Emuneone » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:35 am

I am a DnB DJ and would love to collaborate with you on the playa. I have been to a few events where a drummer and Jungle Dj and rocking that shit hard. Even seen a flute, clarinet, and horn bust out along side some dnb as well. Would be alot of fun, and think people would be very much into it. Or at least I would :)

Let me know if you might be interested, and would love to try and set something up.
Emuneone

djz & drumz

Postby JohnHollis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Emuneone, mo_corleone, sake1, spacelotus....lets get crazy in the desert this year !

I'm really glad to be getting such positive responses from you all. We have been planning our trip, modifying the vehicle, I've been putting together a device to bike my drums around etc. any kind of tunes will work too, we can mix it up. Do any of you have an area or camp with a sound system?
I'm working on getting some stuff I've played on up on the net, I'll let you know when I do.
best JH
JohnHollis

Postby Sandwichman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Just leave me out of it John ;)

I have a camp that would be happy to host some of this insanity.
Sandwichman

lol Mr. Sandwichman.... forgive me

Postby JohnHollis » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:29 am

I am remiss! did not mean to pass you over my friend! haha I would be MORE than honored to participate in your camp venture with some live drumming, I imagine some of these burning dj's might feel the same way? Let me know what your camp will be called and how to find you- without a doubt I'm really looking forward to it!
!todos manan que manan las quemaduras!
JH
JohnHollis

A bit more insight

Postby JohnHollis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:47 pm

As fas as drumming with djs, I'm pretty darn flexible. I can really dig into any kind of consistent groove, any funk, house, techno, trance or acid grooves are real safe. I've been pushing my limits on DnB/jungle stuff lately which has been pretty fun, the grooves themselves aren't really that tough, however the blistering tempos can present a challenge. Breakbeat can work really well if the tempos aren't raging up over 165-170. So without being too vague I can fit comfortably into most material that isn't really fast and/or really broken. I tend to like to fade in and out to give the djs room to breathe, drums can be overplayed and I'm sensitive to that. I can also say that I'm comfortable with groves-tempos changing on the fly as they often do throughout a set. I just listen very carefully to what is happening and can keep it pretty dialed. (Headphones work very well to this end btw and I have a pair I play with often) My philosophy is that the DJ should feel free to do whatever he/she would do naturally and the drums fall in, not to show-off or or distract, but to add sonic depth and impact, to increase the value of the experience.
XXJH
JohnHollis

Next

Return to 2006 Art & Performance