Live! at Burning Man 2006!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Postby PatternInterrupt » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:43 pm

We've confirmed for Burning Man 2006! By then our first album will be completed and we'll be doing a lot of gifting. :)
A precise schedule will be posted when it's all worked out. Check us out for a preview.
If you're on Myspace, be very friendly!
Love, Dave

http://www.myspace.com/PatternInterrupt

http://www.PatternInterrupt.com
PatternInterrupt

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Gamelan X

Postby blyslv » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:14 pm

Where can I buy my copy of the CD, the Poster, the picture book story of a scrappy band that would not take "NO" for an answer, the tee shirt, the decoder ring, the collectible action figures, the lifetime membership in the fan club, front row tickets for the next reunion tour, logo'd Lava Lamps, spandex tights, hairstyling gel, mousse, drug rehab literature, amps that go to 11, extra tinfoil and cucumbers, black light accroutements, massive bong hits, and a lead singer with a girlfreind that wants to be a lead singer?

Doesn't matter if it's guerilla, it's still marketing.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Re: Live! at Burning Man 2006!

Postby HughMungus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm

PatternInterrupt wrote:We've confirmed for Burning Man 2006!

Confirmed? What does that mean?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby regionalchaos » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:03 pm

HughMungus wrote:

I hope my wrist band gets me in back stage! These guys rock!
regionalchaos

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 pm

I have a suggestion for the first album title.

Clueless.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby HughMungus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:16 am

regionalchaos wrote:
HughMungus wrote:

I hope my wrist band gets me in back stage! These guys rock!

PAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN LIES DOWN BY THE RIVERSIDE!!!

Seriously, I used to love them. Saw them live at a small venue in...um...1996? Then we went to a bar nearby and there they were at the bar! I was like, "Hey guys great show thanks!" Then I left them alone and nurtured my first brush with celebrity.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby spectabillis » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:09 pm

oh, myspace, should have known.
spectabillis

Postby PatternInterrupt » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Everyone's a comedian. :)

Confirmed means that I've been talking to the klown BOENOBO and he invited us to rock his stage. We're excited! http://www.boenobo.com

Last year I was part of Gooferman's band for one set. http://www.Gooferman.com

Here are a few pics of my home away from home... anyone see the Cool Bus at ~4:45 and Fetish in The Projects in 2005?
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/13290/index.html

I'll be sure to pack my eyeliner and spandex this year...

¥
PatternInterrupt

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:16 pm

Well...I was wrong. Again. That won't shock anyone...The original wording of the first post left me wondering what was up but it's a lot clearer now. Thanks for the second post.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby PatternInterrupt » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:26 pm

It's all good. I guess my first post was a little lame. :)
PatternInterrupt

Postby wedeliver » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Sounds like a bunch of fucking clowns to me. can't sleep the clowns will eat me.

Anyway I would love to kick it with a band from the valley.. I look forward to your art. (and naked women)

PatternInterrupt wrote:Everyone's a comedian. :)

Confirmed means that I've been talking to the klown BOENOBO and he invited us to rock his stage. We're excited! http://www.boenobo.com

Last year I was part of Gooferman's band for one set. http://www.Gooferman.com

Here are a few pics of my home away from home... anyone see the Cool Bus at ~4:45 and Fetish in The Projects in 2005?
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/13290/index.html

I'll be sure to pack my eyeliner and spandex this year...

¥
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby PatternInterrupt » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:50 pm

Sweet, man. Do you live in LA?
That's a good idea... we'll have to get some naked women on stage with us!

¥
PatternInterrupt

Postby HughMungus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:25 pm

PatternInterrupt wrote:Sweet, man. Do you live in LA?

¥

I'm still confused. What do you mean that you're "confirmed"? What stage? Have you been to Burning Man?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby PatternInterrupt » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:23 pm

HughMungus wrote:I'm still confused. What do you mean that you're "confirmed"? What stage? Have you been to Burning Man?

(Mini-autobiography:)
2005 was my first year at Burning Man. I brought about 15 people with me on my bus and we joined The Projects, a bunch of friends from Venice, CA, at ~4:45 and Fetish. While I was away from LA my bass player quit the band and by the time I got back another friend of ours who had been coming to our shows pretty regularly was playing with us and had memorized all the songs! We didn't miss a beat. I told the guys about Burning Man and we all decided to go in 2006. Since we're all gonna be there, we're gonna try to play some rock & roll.
Rewind to Thursday night (I think) of Burning Man 2005. I had eaten a small dose of mushrooms and was headed to see DJ Lorin spin in a big dome (I forget which...) with some friends. We parked our bikes and we were about to go in when we saw a band playing next door. We got closer and saw a clown on stage... and I noticed that there was a full percussion setup up-stage-left that no one was playing! I play percussion so I asked someone next to the stage what was happening with it... he encouraged me to play! So I did. It was fun! I was part of the band! I was on mushrooms! After one song was over I was about to get off the stage but the clown told me to keep playing. So I did. :) We played another half dozen or so songs. Afterwards I met the klown Boenobo. Turns out he's the front man of Gooferman and the main man in Gooferville. I told him that I wanted Pattern Interrupt to play at Burning Man in 2006. He gave me some beers and flyers so I could contact him later. I went next door into the dome and danced for a couple hours and shared the beers with the people I was dancing with.
A couple months later I found the flyers that Boenobo gave me and emailed him to see if we could share his stage. He said that I'd saved their "collective asses" that night when I filled in on percussion and said "yer in!" in regards to playing on the Gooferville stage in 2006. We're working out the details now.
We're BOTH playing different events on New Years Eve, unfortunately, but we agreed to meet for cocktails sometime that weekend. The end.

This has been a public service announcement courtesy of Pattern Interrupt. :)
PatternInterrupt

Postby spectabillis » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 am

PatternInterrupt wrote:It's all good. I guess my first post was a little lame. :)

its less that and more history. this is probably the first (and surprisingly, last) stop for people to dump all kinda crazy stuff and ideas. some, especially ones proposed by newcomers, have failed horribly with a certain stain and disdain felt towards veterans who all along cry "I TOLD YOU SO!"

then there is that cheesy self-promotion thing.

then there is that pushing right in without seeing how the people on the board operate.

glad you took the responses well while still listening to the underlying message, sticking around, and following up with more info. definately goes a long way here.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 am

oh, one more thing - people's bark are much worse than their bite around here.

III - "keep your knives sharp."
spectabillis

Postby wedeliver » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:19 am

HughMungus wrote:
PatternInterrupt wrote:Sweet, man. Do you live in LA?

¥

I'm still confused. What do you mean that you're "confirmed"? What stage? Have you been to Burning Man?

Confirmation:

A sacrament in which the Holy Ghost is given to those already baptized in order to make them strong and perfect Christians and soldiers of Jesus Christ

I hope this helps
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby blyslv » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:36 pm

Wearing spandex is very akin to girding your loins. So in that respect, wearing spandex is like going god's work. Onward Xtian solider indeed.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby HughMungus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:33 am

PatternInterrupt wrote:
HughMungus wrote:I'm still confused. What do you mean that you're "confirmed"? What stage? Have you been to Burning Man?

This has been a public service announcement courtesy of Pattern Interrupt. :)

OK. Sounded like ignorant spam the first time around.

Welcome to ePlaya! :P
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

backlash a-comin

Postby madmatt » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:34 pm

Beware - there's a backlash-a-comin. You are traveling down the perillous path of the Mutaytor. They started as a band that played at BM, got real popular by playing tons of BM parties, then went mainstream.

They were probably even less blatantly commercial than you are, and they got SLAMMED in 2004 for distributing CDs and signing people up for their mailing list on the playa. It got a very much lot of people realy pissed off. Became huge public fight, with fans and the whole world involved. They said they'd no longer play at BM.

(awesome band and the coolest, nicest people in the world, BTW)

Most people at BM reject performers that use performing at BM to promote themselves.
madmatt

Postby PatternInterrupt » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Hmmm. I definitely hear what you're saying. It is a fine line to walk, isn't it?

One solution that I've been working on is to dissolve the line between audience and performer. Any ideas?

It seems to me that Burning Man deserves more live music. 8)

¥
PatternInterrupt

Postby sputnik » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Gee...I hope to be live there too.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

aLive!

Postby PatternInterrupt » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:59 pm

sputnik wrote:Gee...I hope to be live there too.

And so you shall!

¥
PatternInterrupt

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 pm

PatternInterrupt wrote:Hmmm. I definitely hear what you're saying. It is a fine line to walk, isn't it?

One solution that I've been working on is to dissolve the line between audience and performer. Any ideas?

¥

I saw these gizmos a few years back that were little balls (appx. 6" in dia) that one held in the hand. By manipulating them in some fashion one could cause variations in a digital sound pattern. The signal could then be sent to the next one, where that user could modify the sound. By passing the "sound" back and forth several times, even between "non" muscicians, interesting effects were achieved. I can't remember what they were called (music eggs? something like that), but I often have thought that a talented muscician with several of these could herd several "non" musicians along in a jam session.

Last year there was a percussion art sculpture that got lots of people playing on it. And a giant trumpet cone with dozens of music boxes attached to it for the seriously non-musicians...(like me!)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:14 pm

I had a blast on that "percussion art sculpture". I don't know who made it but I hope it comes back this year.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby Ivy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:55 pm

>One solution that I've been working on is to dissolve the line between audience and performer.

To touch on matt's example: I'm under the impression this was Mutaytor's original goal as well, but as they've become more and more mainstrem, they have moved further and further away from this, to the point where they now put on shows for spectating audiences. I don't think the backlash against them is purely about the commericalism (though i don't disagree that it played a huge role) but also about the fact that 'participation' in their 'shows' has evolved to where it's now no different than 'participating' at any other performing arts show: watching from the audence, moving in time to the music, cheering and clapping. For some people and some instances, that is enough. But i think for a lot of people accustomed to the highly participatory nature of BM, that it falls short.

A fine line to walk indeed. it never fails to leave me wondering about a correlation between scale and inclusion.

Best of luck.
Ivy

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Well, I think one thought is to dissolve the stage. One of the most amazing performances I have ever seen anywhere happened on the playa a few years ago. A hip-hop/funk type band hand an art car with a projection screen, turn-tables, a drum kit and a P.A. , the vocalists were walking around the art car (along with a guy on trumpet), everyone had wireless mics. They never stopped moving through out their set, and so the audience moved along with the band dancing and singing along with the vocalists.
Chai Guy

Postby madmatt » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:47 am

Ivy wrote:...this was Mutaytor's original goal as well

Hi Ivy!! Long time no see :)

The whole thing is also part of that fascinating continuous evolution you see. BTW, Chai Guys totally right about participation. Although there are plenty of bands that get up somewhere and play, there does always seem to be something unique about how they do it.

I once saw a wandering band that played as it walked, that was cool.

Ooh ooh, I have a GREAT idea - set up your band in front of the portapots and do a session to make those hellholes a brighter place!

Might also try to set something up to play music at or in an art installation.

Center camp is a great place for music, since so many people go hang out there who have no hangout place of their own.
madmatt

Postby HughMungus » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:08 pm

PatternInterrupt wrote:Hmmm. I definitely hear what you're saying. It is a fine line to walk, isn't it?

¥

Yeah, it is a fine line. Fortunately I have a short attention span and usually post-it-and-forget-it.

Anyhoo, yes, live music would be nice. In fact, I don't think I've EVER seen a live band at Burnign Man (outside of the Burning Band and whatever crappy "music" is going on at Center Crap, er, Center Camp).
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Ivy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:23 pm

>I once saw a wandering band that played as it walked, that was cool.

I very much enjoyed joining the Monkey Chant/Gamelan's procession to the temple in 2004. They were very interspersed with the people in the street and very supportive and encouraging of people joining in.
Ivy

Next

Return to 2006 Art & Performance