A real chance at something

A real chance at something

Postby koontar » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:52 am

okay iv only been to burning man once.. but, I noticed from when I went at least.. theres a big change of the people who are around on day 1 vs day 7.. now im not holding anything against anyone or group personally.. but im sure you have noticed the yuppie hipsters with their kids in the fancy fashionable plastic kid seats trailing behind their bikes as they go around snapping pictures of things.. and I personally feel a real, real big gap between myself and these people.. but I was thinking tonight.. perhaps these people flooding in can serve as a model.. or as.. a example.. well no as SOMETHING.. if we can reach out and grab THESE people.. who are now.. kinda in the majority apparently of the BM thing.. well then we have a real chance to reach out to everyone else.. and I think that all of these non-participatory people flocking in for the naked people and drugs can serve a real purpose to help us practice on the REAL world.. I might not be making sense anymore, well im not sorry but im sorry your sorry..

shit.. :)

well.. this probrably shouldnt be posted.. wheveragain it is im posting it but uh.. I dunno.. how about.. i cant wait till september?

heh.. have a nice moment.

Matthew
koontar

Postby Dork » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 am

I've noticed a change in people later in the week as well. Some of the cool, down to earth, wonderful people who were there on Monday suddenly turn into judgemental dicks on Friday, anxious to spot the non-worthy among them. I've been accused of being a spectator myself when I had the nerve to shave, put on clean clothes, and go around taking pictures of the just-completed artwork late in the week.

There are definitely people who go just to stare at the freaks, but they don't all just come for the weekend and some are quite good at looking like those you consider "real" burners.

Trying to categorize everyone as worthy or unworthy of being at BM based on a first impression is a good way to ruin your day. Try not to fall into that trap! Do your best to lead by example and don't worry if some people don't look the way you want them to or aren't able to take the whole week off work that year.
Dork

Postby ibdave » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:50 pm

It was a battle for a few years in our camp with the no spectator thing..
A few would yell it out at those that don't look right.. I'd jump them about it.. Tell them that how could they know for sure.. Now a Frat Boy is another story tho..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:37 pm

GIve em something that'll warp their little minds.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

out of nowhere

Postby ravenluv » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:28 pm

i go the whole week as a tourist. how do i fit in?

plus, my mind's been blown. quite a lot. now what?

a real chance at....?
ravenluv

TOURIST TRAPPING

Postby Desert Duck » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:38 pm

I was thinking of putting up a dome with a sign that says "Wet T-Shirt Contest" then serving Ex-Lax B52's to whoever came in.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby koontar » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:41 pm

well yeah I was drunk when I posted that, in reality im far to lazy to participate in helping non-participators (hah).. instead ill just do the usuall, sit around.. binge off absinthe.. yell things at people walking by.. sorry for the trouble though
koontar

Postby Ebenezer Squeezer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:39 pm

koontar wrote:well yeah I was drunk when I posted that, in reality im far to lazy to participate in helping non-participators (hah).. instead ill just do the usuall, sit around.. binge off absinthe.. yell things at people walking by.. sorry for the trouble though

Nah... I think you were right in your first post. Sure, there are people who come later in the week and may not participate in the same way as those who arrive on Monday. But still, they've made the effort to come, and deep down, really want to be freaks too. Welcome them, engage them, push their boundaries, and try not to judge them by their belongings. As you said "reach out and grab THESE people". Do it one person at a time. And share that bottle of absinthe with them!
Ebenezer Squeezer

Postby Wakawaka » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Give me a break Koontar. Ease up man, you don't know any of these people, spending a week in the desert doesn't give you the right to judge them.

How do you know those people you're judging haven't been coming to BM for 10 years. Maybe they just had a baby, they still want to come out to the desert to celebrate their life together but can only get away for a few days now. Maybe they like the fact that they can still make it to BM, although they do it with a little more comfort. Stop worrying about everyone else.
Wakawaka

Postby freakersedge » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:54 pm

waka,

Interesting advice, but almost impractical to apply for in a free world, judgement is ones first act of freedom. Better we should think of ways to communicate with others who have 'airs' about how such deny the very fabric of 'our' event.
Freaker
just your basic hippy
freakersedge

The Final Solution

Postby Desert Duck » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:42 pm

I HAVE IT!!!! :D SuperSoakers filled with colored gelatin solution. How you choose to apply is up to you, either randomly :shock: , or by asking pointed questions(ow) :oops: . You can separate spectators from participants with COLORS!! :twisted: Make it more fun by changing which is which until you can't tell the difference. :!: :?: :!:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:06 pm

When rant, VENT! No excuses, no apologies, no arrests. Youi have these thing that earthlings call feelings.

How about water balloons filled with Nair?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Cabanasprings » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:03 pm

You can separate fucktards from real people by the stupid shit they say on the E-playa.
Cabanasprings

Re: TOURIST TRAPPING

Postby Glasshatchet » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:33 pm

Desert Duck wrote:I was thinking of putting up a dome with a sign that says "Wet T-Shirt Contest" then serving Ex-Lax B52's to whoever came in.

Realizing that I am new here.

I really don't think this is funny.
PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE
Glasshatchet

Postby Desert Duck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
How about water balloons filled with Nair?
:twisted:

Hah! LOVE it!! NAIR FIGHT!!!

You guys wanna know the truth, I'm a really nice guy 'till I have to be an asshole. If I end up having to be an asshole to you on the playa, you'll have your nasty bag of mixed garbage and recycling that you tried to dump at my camp after hours stapled to your ass with 1/2" staples and a pneumatic gun. Other than that, everyone's a participant to me and I don't care how you're dressed. Wanna beer?
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:35 pm

Our first year we had neighbors in khaki cargo shorts and polo shirts, camped in a vw vanagen (?). Looked as touristo suburban as possible without intentionally being ironic. They were some of the most sharing, involed people I've met on the playa.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Desert Duck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Cabanasprings wrote:You can separate fucktards from real people by the stupid shit they say on the E-playa.

fucktards are people, too. :shock:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:23 pm

AntiM wrote:Our first year we had neighbors in khaki cargo shorts and polo shirts, camped in a vw vanagen (?). Looked as touristo suburban as possible without intentionally being ironic. They were some of the most sharing, involed people I've met on the playa.

Which brings up an awesome point, Em...

It always bothered me that there is a certain elitism among a large percentage of certain populations that pervade BRC which says "unless you're in an outrageous costume or naked or ripped or whatever, you're a fratboy or fucktard or otherwise persona-non-gratia..." - it involves usually the "burnier-than-thou attitudist" not interacting, not exploring, not sharing with the "Midwest golf shorts" people, but instead passing judgment on them from afar.

I can only assume how that must make these people, who either contribute in their own way, don't feel comfortable (or with themselves) trying to play "keep up with the jonses" with regards to costumes or nekkidness, or in some other way don't "measure up as a 'real burner' to those who consider themselves 'real burners'"... I would think, were I in that position, ostracised, scorned, and forsaken for my not being a "real burner" I would be pretty sad, thinking "here's a space where everyone is accepted" just to find out it's one big clique, where you're either in the "in" crowd or you're not.

And to me... that's sad. Deeply, disturbingly sad. And yet, I wonder if I am alone in this sadness, whether everyone else says "fuck these conformist non-conformist golf shorts people", or if anyone else feels this sadness as I do?

Sorry - but I had to know.
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

blissfully ignorant of ignorance

Postby ravenluv » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:14 pm

though i'm a tourist and have a pathetically plain wardrobe, i've never felt scorned by anyone at bm. at least not by anyone whose opinion i cared about.

i felt intimidated at times by the beauty of the people and creativity i saw. so did the friend i brought the second year. she was devastated by it - thought she was ugly and didn't fit in. the next year went better, but it still bothers her.

i believe the intimidation i felt was because some people are much better at expressing their creativity and uniqueness than i am. i wish i could be more like them sometimes.

i'll probably never have a mohawk ponytail hairdo with leather outfits and all kinds of tribal stuff adorned to me. that's just not the me that i currently know. still, i think those people look hella cool. and i would like to have an outfit that reflects me somehow, if only i knew what that reflection would show.

as for costumes, i was complimented JUST ONCE in four years for my costume. it was the only time i wore that costume publicly. i was naked.

i love that about burning man....so damned funny!

i wish i could be that funny....
ravenluv

Postby Desert Duck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:36 pm

I am that funny.... LOOKING!! But seriously, most of my campmates don't even try to wear costumes during the day because of what we do. Come over, hang out, blend in, have a beer. If you're willing to help out even for five minutes, we're always grateful. If you just wanna chill with us, come by after hours. Most nights, there's someone hanging out around the burn barrel. ALL are welcome(except garbage dumpers).
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby freakersedge » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Duck,

Just what is it that you do?
just your basic hippy
freakersedge

Finding a Camp

Postby Desert Duck » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:55 pm

This'll be my seventh year with Recycle Camp. 8) I co-designed our new crusher which we debuted in 2004. Basically my job has been Lead Volunteer for Collection. We also have a Construction Lead, which I've done on occasion, a Kitchen Lead, we have about 20 people camping with us, so regular meals are essential, a Lead Welder, for repairs to the crusher as well as random art cars, and a Project Manager, his name's Blue. He and I together designed and built the Blue-Duck Crusher, pictures of which you can find if you search "recycle" in the image gallery, or follow links in the 2004 "afterburn report" -that one has a couple good ones, too. So, basically, I bust my ass helping people sort their garbage, then make sure our camp "leaves no trace" once the little piggies have gone home. I also guard the camp after hours to make sure people don't just drop off their bag of mixed shit for us to deal with(I HATE that). :evil:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby Jordan 10-E » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:53 pm

You know some people that are not all that dressed up are often the ones that are doing all the work.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Desert Duck » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Oh, yeah, and the last two years, I've also done work weekends, and this last year I got to help prep the Man for the Burn. THAT was intense. All the teardown is done between midnight and 8:00 am Saturday. I got to do Shadecloth tearout, a couple other things. We got the whole thing done in 5 1/2 hours (a new record), particularly amazing, since there was more to tear out than previously. I was so filthy that I was freaking people out doing the "zombie walk" :shock: . Then, some guy came up, trying to get inside the man, stripping off his clothes and doing the "chicken milk dance". He'd had WAAY too much chicken milk. I think that was one of the funniest things I saw on the playa all year. :lol:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby freakersedge » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:50 pm

Duck,

I bear you no harm but you really need to address your mental state, I love what you do but really dislike being grouped in the catagory of little piggies. One year, me and a couple of other people were working on setting up a recycle plant, it never left the drawing boards; the children I was working with could never figure out how to save enough money for the burn while getting paid daily. The temptation of being a rightful member of the consumer society made them hate the reason for any perceived sacrifice. They couldn't grasp the concept that ones health requires timed escapism to remain full. Its too bad their escapism was a daily event, such bright minds lost too. Anyway, I will look forward to visiting your camp, during operational hours.

freaker
just your basic hippy
freakersedge

Postby Desert Duck » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:03 pm

Hey, don't take offense, I don't consider all other burners to be little piggies, just the ones who expect me to wipe their asses. At this time, I'm quite jovial. By the end of the event, I'll turn into a raging asshole at the drop of a garbage bag. Then, I get real zen, and spend hours with a moop rake making sure that our lovely playa is just as beautiful, if somewhat more dusty, as when we got out there. Those who have camped with us, and even many who only stop by for a few, realize we have one of the nastiest jobs on the playa. Still, I gotta say that I LOVE what we do, and I LOVE my little Crusher. Oh, yeah. My campmates are as crazy as me, one's even meaner than me, too. She's also very loving and giving, but if you cross her, she'll bite your nipple off. :shock: :cry:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby freakersedge » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:55 pm

Duck,

Ahh, my ego is soothed, thank you. By the by, I have noticed how industry has profited from this event and wonder if you have filed the proper papers for copyright protections on your 'crusher'. If not, please do so, you might as well profit off your contributions, why you may even be able to retire ealier than expected, or become a world traveler, sharing advice like a few others in the community. Of course I am refering to the burn platforms. I own a portable fireplace now that has seen much use and since its got spark screens all around, unlike the portable barbeque used by many, I can use it anywhere because it meets and exceeds the most stringent fire protection codes. My biggest complaint is that I have to wait until its cooled before I move it to the next camp. Perhaps if I put it on a trailer.....

Freaker
just your basic hippy
freakersedge

Postby Wakawaka » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:16 am

[quote="Bay Bridge Sue"][quote="AntiM"]Our first year we had neighbors in khaki cargo shorts and polo shirts, camped in a vw vanagen (?). Looked as touristo suburban as possible without intentionally being ironic. They were some of the most sharing, involed people I've met on the playa.[/quote]

Which brings up an awesome point, Em...

It always bothered me that there is a certain elitism among a large percentage of certain populations that pervade BRC which says "unless you're in an outrageous costume or naked or ripped or whatever, you're a fratboy or fucktard or otherwise persona-non-gratia..." - it involves usually the "burnier-than-thou attitudist" not interacting, not exploring, not sharing with the "Midwest golf shorts" people, but instead passing judgment on them from afar.

I can only assume how that must make these people, who either contribute in their own way, don't feel comfortable (or with themselves) trying to play "keep up with the jonses" with regards to costumes or nekkidness, or in some other way don't "measure up as a 'real burner' to those who consider themselves 'real burners'"... I would think, were I in that position, ostracised, scorned, and forsaken for my not being a "real burner" I would be pretty sad, thinking "here's a space where everyone is accepted" just to find out it's one big clique, where you're either in the "in" crowd or you're not.

And to me... that's sad. Deeply, disturbingly sad. And yet, I wonder if I am alone in this sadness, whether everyone else says "fuck these conformist non-conformist golf shorts people", or if anyone else feels this sadness as I do?

Sorry - but I had to know.
bb[/quote]

Damn Sue, thank you. Can I owe you a hug? That's what I was trying to get across earlier in this thread. It could be as simple as 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. Something I wish I could remember to apply more often.

I'll admit I get my feathers ruffled a bit when I hear someone say, 'I only went once, and here's what it's all about...'. I've been attending for 8 years and for me it's not about anything any one person can define, ever.

Every year it's a new journey and I learn new things about myself both good and bad. If you're there you're there, I try not to give a fuck what car you got there in.
Wakawaka

conform to what all the "real burners expect"

Postby Rockdad » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 pm

AntiM wrote:Our first year we had neighbors in khaki cargo shorts and polo shirts, camped in a vw vanagen (?). Looked as touristo suburban as possible without intentionally being ironic. They were some of the most sharing, involed people I've met on the playa.

AntiM I feel am being excluded!
I love Khaki Cargo shorts! and Tan Cargo shorts, Green Cargo shorts with the more pockets the better and they show off my sexy legs! And I wear tennis shoes! Oh the humanity! Yep in fact I have a pair of tenny's right here still covered in Playa dust.
Now I admit I always wanted a Utilikilt (Pockets and goes with my Irish well) but on another thread I read only poseurs wear the passé Kilt now and I so want to fit in and conform but a Tutu is so impractical while riding a bike across the Playa and no pockets. And constant nudity is out for this white skinned boy hurts just thinking about it and besides I do not like scaring the children and of course no pockets.
At night if it is cold I like to wear BDU pants once again it is a pocket thing.
How will I ever fit in and conform to what all the "real burners" expect me to wear I just do not "get it" I suppose. O' wise one please counsel me

With love and TFPIC

UtiliTutu?
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog
Rockdad

Return to 2006 Theme