Soylent Green

Soylent Green

Postby Discosybil » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:32 am

We decided to do an art car having to do with the movie "Soylent Green".
Of course we'll be passing out Soylent Green and hopefully meet other Soylent Green fans on the playa on a certain date and time for riot and body cleanup.

check out the 1972 movie sometime.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 2022, New York City is populated with 40 million people, half of whom are unemployed. The air is smoggy and sooty, and the sun bakes everything, everyday, at 90 degrees. Overpopulation and the destruction of the environment may have rendered human life cheap, but food--that is, real food--is quite expensive. A jar of real strawberry jam costs $150, if it's available--supermarkets don't exist anymore. The government now dispenses rations of food substances made by the Soylent corporation: Soylent Yellow, Soylent Red, and the newest product, Soylent Green.

But even these Soylent products are in short supply. Riot police are always dispatched when Soylent is distributed, because violence kicks in when the food runs out. Thorn (Heston) is a member of this modern, beleaguered police force, which pilfers every crime scene for the necessities of life. When Thorn is called in to investigate the death of a Soylent Corporation executive, his take is a treasure trove: a towel, a bar of soap, paper, and some real food--celery, a couple of apples, and half a pound of beef.

But what at first seems to Thorn a clumsy robbery soon seems a highly-managed assassination. But ironically, it is the death of Thorn's aging friend, Sol (Robinson), one of the few who still remembered what food was, what plenty meant, that cracks the case and unmasks a conspiracy. It is only through Sol's death that Thorn understands what the world has lost and what it has become...

HOPE...FEAR.... The FUTURE
Discosybil

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Yeah! an art car blasting Beethoven's Sixth symphony as it crosses the playa!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Make Room! Make Room!

Postby KayTwo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Omigawd, Soylent Green is one of my fave movies. I especially like the retro-future game consoles: white molded plastic apparently loaded with a crappy 2-dimensional version of Asteroidz. Ohh, the Future is scary!
KayTwo

Postby Discosybil » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah! an art car blasting Beethoven's Sixth symphony as it crosses the playa!

What a great idea, didn't even think about music!
Discosybil

Postby Discosybil » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:50 pm

Soylent Green is people

Discosybil

Live Free, Die Happy

Postby KayTwo » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:49 pm

What about a euthansia room like the one Edward G. Robinson visited? It'd be a nice place for people to relax...forever!
KayTwo

Postby Discosybil » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:45 pm

Is your group thinking about doing something like that?
Discosybil

Postby KayTwo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:46 am

Hell, yes! A nice tent with beautiful murals of the outdoors, lovely music, and a comfy cot. The only catch: once you enter, you never leave!
KayTwo

Postby Discosybil » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:52 am

One comfy cot? You don't plan on being in that cot the whole time do you.
Discosybil

Postby KayTwo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 am

No way. But I'll be encouraging other Burners to come in and lay down. Maybe even fatten them up before they take that final nap.
KayTwo

Postby robotland » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:43 am

A chamber LIKE the euthenasia facility could be an interesting experience...Participants enter on a motorized cart and roll through a dome filled with music, projections, tactile stimulation and such. And then proceed to the Afterlife Lounge for refreshments! It could be set up like an amusement park "dark ride"....

The scary thing about those "retro" game consoles that KayTwo noticed is that I remember them as "state of the art" arcade fixtures. (My lifeclock went black some time ago.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:18 pm

We're already thinking of baking green snacks to hand out now and again. Green of course. Rice Crispy treats? Shortbread cookies?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby robotland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:49 am

AntiM wrote:We're already thinking of baking green snacks to hand out now and again. Green of course. Rice Crispy treats? Shortbread cookies?

AWESOME.
I'd make some kind of flatbread or crackerlike something, just so it's just unrecognizable enough to introduce a bit of uncertainty...Green-dyed "Chik'n In A Biskit" crackers? Does "people" taste like chicken? Sheets of Nori?
Hand out on Tuesday, wearing Tyvek suits and masks.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:10 am

Raw dough is easier to dye than post-baked goods. I have cracker reciipes, but haven't developed a good touch with them yet. I could mark or stamp shortbread; "It's People." Unsubtle, but makes me chuckle. I'm also thinking of durability, and wrapping vs naked cookies.

The trick for a good deep color is to use the paste decorating dyes rather than the liquid dyes found in supermarkets. Stains everything, which sucks unless you want green skin for a while.
AntiM

Postby Discosybil » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 am

Can you imagine people walking around with green lips and tongue. It reminds me the first time I used red dye for frosting, I not only had red lips forever but my fingers looked like I was still in kindergarden. I forgot all about it.

So, if you bake with it.....it won't do that?
Discosybil

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:57 am

No, once baked it no longer stains. I make pressed sugar cookies in tie-dye colors and they're fine.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:15 pm

AntiM wrote:...unless you want green skin for a while.

And who wouldn't?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby robotland » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 am

Years ago I made a "little red sportscar" cake for my girlfriend...Cast chocolate bumpers and license plates, doughnut wheels, the works. But I airbrushed it with so much red food coloring that nobody'd touch it.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Discosybil » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Did you know if you drink a bottle of Creme de Menthe and later get sick, it also stains? I know someone who's parents found out when he showed up to dinner with a green mouth.
Discosybil

Postby KayTwo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:06 am

AntiM wrote:...thinking of durability, and wrapping vs naked cookies...

MMMmmmm, naked cookies. Gaaaaruullllummm.
(Slobberly said in Homer Simpson voice.)
KayTwo

Postby KayTwo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:21 am

robotland wrote:...Sheets of Nori?
Hand out on Tuesday, wearing Tyvek suits and masks...

I love the idea of Nori. Soylent Green Crunchy Snackables! Kids love 'em!

I, too, was also thinking of Tyvek suits. Emblazoned, of course, with the Soylent Green Biscuit Company logo. Wouldn't want other Burners to question the quality of the product we're handing out.

KayTwo

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 am

There's a certain candy purveyor of little chocolate discs in a candy shell which offers personalized candies, they have green and "It's People" fits nicely. Sadly, it is quite expensive to custom order. Wah.
AntiM

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:59 pm

You guys are making it hard for me to drink my Super-Green protein.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Discosybil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:05 pm

end trails? That's making me feel sluggish
Discosybil

Postby Discosybil » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Kay Two, I keep hearing about all these movies and wonder if it would all work. Like "Stepford Wives" passing out soylent green for snacks, or when people come in to the shade for rest to listen to music they would instead watch violent movies like in "Clockwork Orange" maybe making them glad they are going to pass on.

Hmmmmm! I'm soooo confused
Discosybil

Postby KayTwo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:42 am

Discosybil,
I like the idea of cross-pollination of movies, but take care to not get too ambitious and muddy up the concept. The Stepford Wives is a great idea, it blends well with Soylent Green's views of consumerism (pun intended). Clockwork Orange visuals, I think, would dilute what is, in my opinion, the creepiest scene in SG: the old man going do die in a room surrounded by beautiful scenes of nature.

And do we really want to encourage people to leave before they're processed? Seems like a waste of product.
The Biggest Little Blog In The World
http://mylifeinreno.wordpress.com
KayTwo

Postby robotland » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:48 am

Ever since seeing Soylent Green for the first time, (possibly in the theater...can't remember!) I can't hear Beethoven's Pastoral without seeing Edward G. Robinson crying over poppy fields. Really stuck with me. I grew up on a pine tree farm, and got a heavy dose of ecology at a young age. Movies featuring vast natural devestation really get me, even if they're corny at points, like "Silent Running". (I still want to live in a domed forest, with robot friends....)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:12 am

KayTwo wrote:And do we really want to encourage people to leave before they're processed? Seems like a waste of product.
You might want to cross reference with Apokaliptika. "You're doomed--to be eaten" is the slogan I suggest!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:15 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
KayTwo wrote:And do we really want to encourage people to leave before they're processed? Seems like a waste of product.
You might want to cross reference with Apokaliptika. "You're doomed--to be eaten" is the slogan I suggest!

¿
ROTFLMAO
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Discosybil » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Kay2 you dog..........love the avatar. Hissss meow
Discosybil

Next

Return to 2006 Theme