And the 2006 theme is....

Re: Iconoclast's 2 cents

Postby HughMungus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:17 am

the_iconoclast wrote:I love the Theme and see all sorts of amazing potential... but I am just wary of the Man getting more "Extreme" every year.... and what that means to the overall picture.. if anything...

the Iconoclast

It makes me wonder if those who work for BORG feel some kind of responsibility to do more and more each year to feel like they're doing what they're paid (or unpaid) to do. Hey BORG, like I keep saying: provide the infrastructure and we'll do the rest. Please! Otherwise people start expecting too much from you.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Tiahaar » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:The man going up and down is fine on an interactivity with the participants - I like that.

What I have issues with is the arms going up and down through the event. There's a tradition that the arms stay down except right before the burn. It is (to me) part of what makes the burn special (and I suspect I am not alone); almost like a benediction before the flames.

one of your "agents" must infiltrate the complex and "misplace" the arm cables till Saturday heheh
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Driveway » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:47 pm

I figure that Larry and Co. have come up with a brilliant art-funding idea.

Larry wants to build a bigger, badder, bolder hominoid each year in the desert, this requires money... then he figures that if he gets a couple dozen thousand people to help him foot the bill, he'll be able to get SUPER bad-ass with his structures. Genius! I'm for it.

Still, I think that the man's stucture was best in 2003. That temple was awe-inspiring in all the right ways. It was really neat to find myself in Honduras the following November climbing the inspirations for that thing.

Oh, and I've heard the rumour that the man himself shrinks every year, does anyone know the truth behind that 'lil tid bit?
What is Driveway's Game?
Driveway

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:54 pm

Driveway wrote:Oh, and I've heard the rumour that the man himself shrinks every year, does anyone know the truth behind that 'lil tid bit?
I figure the man shrinks each year about as much as Larry's ego does.

But I'm not going to get close enough to either to measure.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:39 am

I noticed that the man is getting a little thick in the thighs and more long legged and the chest is truncated like a womens.

the future is "androgenous man"

I'm not sure what I should feel, but it not hope nor fear, but strange like who the fuck am I.

On well as long as it doens't fall on me then it all going to be OK!

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby TheJudge » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:07 pm

HughMungus wrote:And read this:

"All of these devices will be connected by a closed Wifi network, and linked to a secure computer equipped with a sophisticated software program. This futuristic technology will employ a complex algorithm to determine the statistical mean of our participating community's hopes and fears at any given moment. As a result of these measurements, the Burning Man will either ascend while slowly raising its arms, as if to welcome all our hopes, or descend into a cage of fear located atop the Pavilion's elevated deck. This latter movement will allow participants who win their way up to the deck to witness Burning Man close up through a chrome metal lattice constructed from the gleaming remnants of discarded auto parts. Will the Man remain mired in fear, or will he rise and stretch his arms against the sky?"

All it needs now is a parade of animatronic hippies that march around the man on a little track every hour on the hour. Maybe they could also play a little heart-warming song about friendship and love and PLUR and whatever...

Sorry, I have to go wretch again.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Reading Emerson gives me chills.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

blahblahblahblah

Postby Desert Duck » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:40 am

Okay, to answer some questions I know nothing about. The shade cloth was taken out last year, I got to do the actual tearing, yes it was saved, not sure for what, but will be reused. The man did start to get smaller as the base got bigger, with no real change in overall height. As far as the whole thing getting more complicated, would you want to build the same thing year after year? I kind of agree with the whole arm raising thing, so I'll do my part to keep the man down all week. VOTE NO!!! then, Friday morning, VOTE YES ALL DAY!!! Maybe people will think it's gonna burn on friday night! :twisted:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Previous

Return to 2006 Theme