And the 2006 theme is....

And the 2006 theme is....

Postby Isotopia » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:43 am

Isotopia

Re: And the 2006 theme is....

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:17 am

And we have a winner! I'm looking forward to this theme. I have some art in mind already!
MoisturePup

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 am

Oh, and what happened to "Hang in there kitten."
MoisturePup

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:24 am

Hung out to dry??
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Re: And the 2006 theme is....Hope and Fear: THE FUTURE

Postby retropsycho » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:22 am

That's Hope and Fear: THE FUTURE, actually.
I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone . . . there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
retropsycho

see!?

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:39 pm

I told you all that the theme would be "..."
MoisturePup

Postby kilngod » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:31 pm

F.T. Marinetti penned the Futurist Manifesto in 1909. Do Burners channel Futurists?

Some of the bits at the bottom bear reconsideration: I risk great bodily harm by even writing them down, but I refuse to play the Censor or even the Apologist. Please dig Socrates and his Method.

You've got to admit there's a smoldering kernel of fidelity to the spirit of Burning Man. Apokalipticons may especially enjoy.

MANIFESTO OF FUTURISM

1. We want to sing the love of danger, the habit of energy and rashness.

2. The essential elements of our poetry will be courage, audacity and revolt.

3. Literature has up to now magnified pensive immobility, ecstasy and slumber. We want to exalt movements of aggression, feverish sleeplessness, the double march, the perilous leap, the slap and the blow with the fist.

4. We declare that the splendor of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire, is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

5. We want to sing the man at the wheel, the ideal axis of which crosses the earth, itself hurled along its orbit.

6. The poet must spend himself with warmth, glamour and prodigality to increase the enthusiastic fervor of the primordial elements.

7. Beauty exists only in struggle. There is no masterpiece that has not an aggressive character. Poetry must be a violent assault on the forces of the unknown, to force them to bow before man.

8. We are on the extreme promontory of the centuries! What is the use of looking behind at the moment when we must open the mysterious shutters of the impossible? Time and Space died yesterday. We are already living in the absolute, since we have already created eternal, omnipresent speed.

9. We want to glorify war - the only cure for the world - militarism, patriotism, the destructive gesture of the anarchists, the beautiful ideas which kill, and contempt for woman.

10. We want to demolish museums and libraries, fight morality, feminism and all opportunist and utilitarian cowardice.

11. We will sing of the great crowds agitated by work, pleasure and revolt; the multi-colored and polyphonic surf of revolutions in modern capitals: the nocturnal vibration of the arsenals and the workshops beneath their violent electric moons: the gluttonous railway stations devouring smoking serpents; factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts flung across the diabolic cutlery of sunny rivers: adventurous steamers sniffing the horizon; great-breasted locomotives, puffing on the rails like enormous steel horses with long tubes for bridle, and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propeller sounds like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds.
kilngod

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:36 pm

After looking at the new theme the Apokiliptika people may wanna think about expanding their camp ideas.

And anything that highlights and celebrates Art Deco is an automatic hit with me. I love this theme.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:04 pm

retropsycho wrote:

That's Hope and Fear: THE FUTURE, actually.

Hey!! You were right!! Way cool retropsycho :D (and who are you/who do you know/should I be bowing down in reverence?)

and yes lets keep the emphasis on the Complete theme:

Hope and Fear: THE FUTURE
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:08 pm

I know what I'm going to gift out this year. Cancer Awareness ribbons, maybe bracelets if I can swing it.

If anything embodies "Hope and Fear: the Future," cancer would do it. Especially now that Congress is yanking $100 million out of research... Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby HughMungus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:28 pm

I didn't know hope and fear were mutually exclusive. They're making it sound like they are. Sigh. Another theme to ignore.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby retropsycho » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:54 pm

retropsycho wrote:That's Hope and Fear: THE FUTURE, actually.

Tiahaar wrote:Hey!! You were right!! Way cool retropsycho :D (and who are you/who do you know/should I be bowing down in reverence?)

Er, I'm sure I learned all about the theme from Sputnik's Dec 9th post right here on the eplaya. viewtopic.php?t=11872 Yea. Right. That's the ticket!
I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone . . . there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
retropsycho

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:18 pm

HughMungus wrote:I didn't know hope and fear were mutually exclusive. They're making it sound like they are. Sigh. Another theme to ignore.

Hugh, technically for it to be mutually exclusive the theme would have to be "Hope or Fear"

Hope, and Fear are two different things, which is why they have two different names. But, like an apartment and a home, the words are different and mean different things, but they can both mean the same thing at the same time.
MoisturePup

Postby MoisturePup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:25 pm

MoisturePup

Postby HughMungus » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:19 pm

MoisturePup wrote:
HughMungus wrote:I didn't know hope and fear were mutually exclusive. They're making it sound like they are. Sigh. Another theme to ignore.

Hugh, technically for it to be mutually exclusive the theme would have to be "Hope or Fear"

Hope, and Fear are two different things, which is why they have two different names. But, like an apartment and a home, the words are different and mean different things, but they can both mean the same thing at the same time.

Note the little indicator that says "Fear" on one end and "Hope" on the other. They say "Hope AND Fear" but the write-up indicates "Hope OR Fear". PICK ONE. Jesus.

And read this:

"All of these devices will be connected by a closed Wifi network, and linked to a secure computer equipped with a sophisticated software program. This futuristic technology will employ a complex algorithm to determine the statistical mean of our participating community's hopes and fears at any given moment. As a result of these measurements, the Burning Man will either ascend while slowly raising its arms, as if to welcome all our hopes, or descend into a cage of fear located atop the Pavilion's elevated deck. This latter movement will allow participants who win their way up to the deck to witness Burning Man close up through a chrome metal lattice constructed from the gleaming remnants of discarded auto parts. Will the Man remain mired in fear, or will he rise and stretch his arms against the sky?"

Anyone else tired of the man being a huge waste of time and (our) money?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:31 pm

Think about it...

The man raises his arms...

Does that mean he's gonna burn before Saturday???

I thought... seem to remember... that's the only time his arms raised.

I see... the potential for a bnch of stuff to mechanically fail. How strong will this be in a windstorm? What will apen to the "auto parts cage"?

Sounds like a lot of moop...

OK, I gotta see it... but I don't like the raising arms thing before the night of the burn. Seems... I dunno... sacreligious or something. Do you get that?

bb
Lassen Forge

Postby regionalchaos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I don't like the raising arms thing before the night of the burn. Seems... I dunno... sacreligious or something. Do you get that?

bb

Yeah, I kinda thought about that to... And the mechanical complexity is a serious consideration. It didn't seem like turning the man worked more then half of the time last year, and this seems more complex..

Personally I think the theme seems decent. It's broad enough, etc.. The only other concern I had about it was incorporating something potentially dark and negative, like fear can be. This will likely inspire a lot of fear inspiring art, and some peoples moods and minds are chemically impressionable. I'd hate to see a lot of people get freaked out, or see the event have a darker vibe.
regionalchaos

on to THE FUTURE

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 pm

HughMungus wrote:Anyone else tired of the man being a huge waste of time and (our) money?
Supreme Necklace Crafter, surely you really do love the man and would miss him dearly if he were never to reappear??? I'm excited over the newest design of Black Rock City's centerpiece and event namesake, have always loved the "what will the future be like" musings of the science mags, and also think humans ought to have some healthy hope and fear of what their kind is capable of.

Camp Palomino will evolve this year...there may be Wraeththu among us...we will incept the ready...

"In this powerful and elegant story set in a future Earth very different from our own, a new kind of human has evolved to challenge the dominion of Homo sapiens. This new breed is stronger, smarter, and far more beautiful than their parent race, and are endowed with psychic as well as physical gifts. They are destined to supplant humanity as we know it, but humanity won't die without a struggle." (from the back cover of the book: WRAETHTHU)

now stay away from that jaded old-timers thread : )
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Tiahaar

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:51 pm

The man is the centerpiece of the event so I have no problem whatsoever with the lavish attention given to him. And I look at it this way, this is still Larry's event and if he wants to do it this way then more power to him. Build it and they will come....in the thousands.

But the arm raising part does suck...I'm a traditionalist in that I feel the only time the arms should go up is right before the burn. Maybe this is Larry's way of breaking that tradition and making us question the rituals that we've become accustomed to...ie: a prior theme continuation of sorts.

In any event regardless of the theme or what the man does or doesn't do I'm still going to go and so will most everyone else. For me that's all stage dressing anyway, it's all about the people I meet out there anyway.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Dork » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Funny.. when I saw the design for the man I thought "oh great, same old crap all over again" but everyone else is freaking out about how different it is. Honestly.. the man has changed a little every year. The only new thing is the raising/lowering, which will likely not work very well anyway.
Dork

Iconoclast's 2 cents

Postby the_iconoclast » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:42 pm

I think the this years theme is great... Semantics aside. While if a person truly wants to nit-pick - yes from the concept of the Hope-and-Fear-O-Meter it would appear that they are making them exclusive of one another, but why can't it be refering to the dominant mood of the moment...

I have hope and fear for everything around me - the environement, people, the economy.... yet these feelings change and manifest themselves differently every day. One day I may have more of a positive feeling towards human nature because I just witnessed a stranger help an old lady across the street.. thus my Hope-and-Fear-O-Meter might be registering more on the Hope side of the scale.

It is a scale after all, and not a HOPE OR FEAR meter.. the fact that there are gradations on the scale indicate that there are elements of both in the reading of the scale. Think about it - it would indicated Hope OR Fear if the arrow pointed to FEAR if there were 101 votes for fear and 100 votes for hope.. Instead, according to the concept, we might see a slight twitch of the arrow to the Fear side... This tells me that there are grey areas between Hope and Fear that are filled by feelings of each, and while each person is casting a "Hope OR Fear" vote, the concept is that the man will reflect the HOPE AND FEAR average... I like it.

Here is where I digress from my praises...
There are a few issues here that concern me.
1. Cost of the Man
2. The "Bigger and Better" trap
3. Complexity of the Man

1. The one thing that keeps haunting my thoughts is how much will this bad-boy cost to construct in it's entirety? The cost of the man last year will be available once the breakdown of expenditures is released by BMORG. Here are expenditures on the for 2001-2004.
2004- $109,414 "Vault of Heaven"
2003- $94,725 "Beyond Belief"
2002- $45,000 "Floating World"
2001- $37,000 "The Seven Ages"
Are we going to guess what the costs to build the man were for 2005? How much were each of those LED displays that were used for the base? The material for the sun shades? Are we heading for a quarter of a million dollars? Consider now that this years man concept dusts 2005 in complexity... and that includes parts and labor... and maintenance. This can be a moot point for people who only want to argue based on whether the ticket price increases or decreases this year. "If the ticket price is the same, then who cares?"... Well... wouldn't it be interesting to see where else that much money could go to? How much did the Gazette cost to run? How about giving BMIR a little more capital to upgrade their equipment? I am sure there are dozens of things..

And when did Burning Man become a 80's Rock Concert? The Man has become a Judas Priest stage show... Go ahead, rip me apart, but read a little bit further first... in the 80's Heavy Metal bands were in a dead heat competition to draw fans in to the shows... Judas Priest had some of the most amazing shows... they grew increasingly ridiculous... to the point that no less than 20 semi-trailers were used to tote the show from town to town... this culminated the the stage show for the Defenders of the Faith tour that included the larger than life mechanical Tiger from the album cover.. how much larger? The singer walked out of the mouth and the guitarists rode on top of the paws as the paws moved back and forth out over the audience.... Curious part was, the ticket prices went up, but the same number of people were coming to the shows.. Eventually, the bubble burst and the day of the Cecil B. DeMille'esque stage shows has gone by the wayside.... or have they? Why does the Man have to keep getting more spectacular? This leads me to #2...

2. The increased costs are indicative of this phenomenon... the "Bigger and Better" trap. Fact is, between 2002 and 2003, when the cost of the Man more than doubled, there was an increase of barely 2,000 people in BRC. (Before anybody goes accusing me of heresay... all figures in this post are pulled from BMORG pages available for all to look at.) So, they doubled the cost of the Man and got 2,000 more people..

Now someone os going to say "The Man isn't why people go to Burning Man... it isn't what draws them to Black Rock City.." yeah... that is kind of my point... why then are we watching him become more extravegant each year? Why are we watching him grow to Arena Rock proportions? If the Man ever hits over $200,000 to build... shouldn't we feel a bit odd about that?

Again.. someone is saying right now - "That is what Burning Man is all about you idiot!!! Building it and then burning it!! Yawr!!!!" Right... fer sure fer sure... isn't it just as symbolic if they just burn.. well... the Man? Sure.. put a base under him so he can be seen far and wide... but 2004 saw over $100k spent on building a wooden man in the desert and burning him... Doesn't that seem a bit obscene? Did the doubling of the cost of the Man double the enjoyment factor for the participants? I am asking becasue I was not there in 2002 or 2003... Fill me in - Was Burning Man twice as cool because they spent twice as much on the Man? Has anyone ever said - "Yeah.. 2002 was good, but 2003 fucking blew it away becasue the Man LOOKED so much cooler..." I am just finding it hard to swallow....

I could not find ticket prices, but I'd be interested to here what they were for the years in discussion.

3. The complexity of the Man his year seems a bit crazy to me... "Radical self reliance" meets tech support? We are operating under the idea of bringing what we NEED to the desert. Of course, no one really needs a driveable couch or mobile tongue, but that is where extravegance comes in.. everybody has a certain level that they bring and maintain for BM with there money... Remember - that BMORG does the same thing.. with your money. So looking beyond the cost and "Bigger and Better" issues... what about the complexity?

In 2005, they had a difficult time keeping a WiFi network operational. I realize that WiFi and internet are anathema to many who go, but the fact is that there are elements who really appreciate being able to contact home on occaission. I was one of them - my wife could not come this year and it was great to be able to send her an email every now and then letting her know everything was ok... I emailed her shortly after the unfortunate death of a burner on playa this year and let her know it wasn't me... She got the email about 5 minutes after she found out about the death - tell me I am wrong for loving her that much and I will just laugh at you. I bring this up because, though it didn't adversely affect my Burn, it was frustrating at times becasue it was iffy at best.

Now they are talking about having terminals throughout the city for voting purposes? Are they going to train the Rangers on network troublshooting? Are they going to need volunteers to move from kiosk to kiosk to maintain these terminals? What is the support plan? How are these going to be powered? Solar? Deep cycle? WInd? Leprechauns? Are all the terminals going to be included in the cost breakdown of the Man? Sorry.. that should have been in number 1... Where are the WAP relays going to be located? How many are there going to be? I worked Internet, DSL, and IT support for years before moving on to something less stressful.... and that was in an office environment... What kind of support are the support people going to have?

What about the device that is going to raise and lower the Man and his arms!?! Oh my God, how much does he weigh? What kind of equipment are they going to need to bring in to accomplish this? How many generators are going to be running just to support the support of the man's supports?

Perhaps I am crazy people... but these are the thoughts that fill my head...

I love the Theme and see all sorts of amazing potential... but I am just wary of the Man getting more "Extreme" every year.... and what that means to the overall picture.. if anything...

the Iconoclast
the_iconoclast

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:57 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like the whole new plan... the base sounds cool...

My only beef is the raising arms thing. I know, it is Larry;s show, and he is breaking more and more from tradition (the man interacted last year for the first time - with our Kamp's art - and it was wikkid)...

But the raising of the arms - it has a certain significance to a lot of people. I know it does to me. If we have the man out there flapping his arms like, hell, super chicken, it's just not gonna seem right.

I like the up and down. I like the meter thing. I *love* the art deco. I am totally nutso gaga over the theme. But the arm thing... well... I am dead set against it, as it;s a symbolic thing. What if the man's head were round? Same dif - it wouldn't be "the man".

I'm sorry... it's not *my* man, it's Larry's... but somehow, the man has adopted all almost 40K of us into his family, and when he does something, not just different (like blinking once) but out of character (like flapping his arms through the event) it's just... um... well...

Like he's gone fritzoid or senile or he's sick in his triangulated head. I'm sorry,hugely, but I really hope they *don't* incorporate this one little thing into it. The rest sounds too awesome (including the up-and-down slot machines - wow!!) but this isn't right.

My 2 cents... but it just seems like it's gotta be said...

bb
Lassen Forge

Re: Iconoclast's 2 cents

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:14 pm

the_iconoclast wrote:I think the this years theme is great... Semantics aside.

Agreed! And its the first year I came close with my "Sands of Time" guess.

What about the device that is going to raise and lower the Man and his arms!?!

Maybe someone came into possesion of an old freight elevator and wondered "hmm what could we do with this?"

I love the Theme and see all sorts of amazing potential... but I am just wary of the Man getting more "Extreme" every year.... and what that means to the overall picture.. if anything...

Next year the Man will roll around on a big crawler tractor like the spaceshuttle launchpad transporter : )
Tiahaar

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:18 pm

That's cool, too... just leave his arms down untl the burn.

bb
Lassen Forge

Re: Iconoclast's 2 cents

Postby the_iconoclast » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:22 pm

Tiahaar wrote:
the_iconoclast wrote:I love the Theme and see all sorts of amazing potential... but I am just wary of the Man getting more "Extreme" every year.... and what that means to the overall picture.. if anything...

Next year the Man will roll around on a big crawler tractor like the spaceshuttle launchpad transporter : )

Now THAT would be worth a quarter of a mil to watch!
"We shall crush you down to the point, where there is no coming back, things will happen to you from which you could not recover if you lived a thousand years, a thousand years."
the_iconoclast

Postby MoisturePup » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:43 am

Guys... we're talking about Hope.

For me the way I interpret the man raising his arms is that this is his moment of triumph. His ultimate moment of glory, and that is when he is destroyed. But all is not lost, because from destruction comes creation.

I doubt that man falling and rising will be a "fast" thing. It'll probably be the type of movement that takes hours to go from the lowest to highest point. And since the arms being up represent hope, it's not all that different to me from the moment before he is set on fire. The man just gets a few more minutes to have hope before he is destroyed to make way for another year of creation.
MoisturePup

a bargain

Postby Tiahaar » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:00 am

and all for about $5 to $7 per ticket going to the Man and his associated pavilion costs
Tiahaar

Re: a bargain

Postby MoisturePup » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:07 am

Tiahaar wrote:and all for about $5 to $7 per ticket going to the Man and his associated pavilion costs

That's not a huge cost. But all of the $5 per ticket costs add up.

I'm willing to bet that the tent top (the one that was removed before the burn) was purchased with the idea of using it to replace the aging center cafe's roof.

Perhaps the lamps that are in the pictures of this years man will find their way onto the streets of BRC in coming years.
MoisturePup

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:08 am

The man going up and down is fine on an interactivity with the participants - I like that.

What I have issues with is the arms going up and down through the event. There's a tradition that the arms stay down except right before the burn. It is (to me) part of what makes the burn special (and I suspect I am not alone); almost like a benediction before the flames.
Lassen Forge

Re: on to THE FUTURE

Postby HughMungus » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 am

Tiahaar wrote:
HughMungus wrote:Anyone else tired of the man being a huge waste of time and (our) money?
Supreme Necklace Crafter, surely you really do love the man and would miss him dearly if he were never to reappear???

I love what the man stands for. My point is that "the man" could be 6' tall and made out of 2x4's and a handful of firecrackers and bottlerockets and it would have the same representational effect on me. I think I miss being able to ride out to the man and have the interaction beteween the people there happen naturally instead of being forced and shaped by an art grant.

have always loved the "what will the future be like" musings of the science mags, and also think humans ought to have some healthy hope and fear of what their kind is capable of.

Me too. I love science fiction for its views of the future. I just don't believe that it's hope OR fear as I think a lot of people are going to think the theme is (see image, above).

now stay away from that jaded old-timers thread : )[/quote]

Oh my god I've become a jaded old-timer!!! :P
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Next

Return to 2006 Theme