New from California

New from California

Postby Cmack84 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello.

We are from California (the snowy mountain-y area)

The husband and I have been wanting to attend and enjoy burning man for years. Our plan is for 2015. I've been reading up a lot on the preparation boards, tons of info. It's a good thing I'm giving us plenty of time to plan correctly there seems to be a lot to plan for.

I think we have about 6-8 other people who say they want to attend with us. We will see how it all pans out when tickets go on sale.
Cmack84

Burning Since: 2015

Re: New from California

Postby lucky420 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Hola and hello...

Welcome to Eplaya!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ygmir » Mon May 12, 2014 7:32 pm

welcome!!
the snowy part of CA?
which ticket sale are you waiting for? or did I miss something?

read and learn, and good luck!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TT120 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Next years tickets Yiggy.....Try to keep up....LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby ygmir » Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
TT120 wrote:Next years tickets Yiggy.....Try to keep up....LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Cmack84 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:54 pm

By the time we decided to finally burn, tickets were already sold out and by all of the reading I've done this doesn't seem like the type of thing to do without first having a plan. I'm a planner.

I am hopeful we can snag tickets next year. Sounds like they are becoming more and more difficult to come by.
Cmack84

Postby FIGJAM » Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 pm

"Plan ur burn, burn ur plan!!!"
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Cmack84 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:42 am

I mean the logistical part of it. Food, drinks, travel and sleeping arrangements.
Cmack84

Postby aserendipity » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 am

get a ticket

do not plan... it will go wrong

just be utterly self sufficient and ready for anything...

xoA.
aserendipity

Postby dragonpilot » Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm

You need food, water and shelter, a ticket and a way to get to and from the Playa. What other planning is there? Really?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Eric » Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm

dragonpilot wrote:You need food, water and shelter, a ticket and a way to get to and from the Playa. What other planning is there? Really?

I understand what they're saying because I have friends like that. The planning is: what kind of food? What works best? What will I eat? What will I want to eat after 6 days in the desert? Will I have a kitchen, or is it all cooler based? Are we doing a tent, a trailer or an RV. Do we buy a used RV & rehab it a bit, or just pay to rent one? Used tent or new? How do I build shade over the tent, and how large do I want the shade? Separate shade structure, or just room outside the tent's shade structure? ... I can go on, but you've all been around long enough to know that some people like having as much of the minutia of the trip covered as possible, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Cmack84 - start doing your planning now, if you have the time off you still might make the playa this year. There is an OMG Sale in early August with 1,000 tickets, once tickets ship there will also be more of a resale market (read the warning at the link in my sig). There are way more people wanting to go than tickets now, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby VultureChow » Wed May 14, 2014 6:45 am

Oh come one. Over-planning and logistics are half the fun. It gives me something to do the other 352 days of the year. As long as you're willing to accept those plans disappearing once you get there.
You should see my absolutely batshit insane Reno list. It lists where I'm going to buy what and in what order. It also has backup locales for many items in the event my primary store is sold out. The schedule includes coffee stops and In-n-out for lunch as well as scheduled stops where I unload supplies back at the hotel and then go out for more.

Then I windup eating and drinking only half of what I bought. Some things never make it out of the car.

Luckily playa standards are extraordinarily low. Show up on time with what you said you would bring. Even I can manage that.
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Cmack84 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Next year, assuming we get tickets we're there! I already had a vacation planned and paid for so BM this year simply isn't in the budget. Plus, I need to start working on sewing some pieces for my outfits. I need time to transition from quilting to sewing clothes. So, I'm glad you say playa standards are low. If none of my pieces turn out, I'll go nude. That's an option right?!

I'm a serial planner. I'm planning my meals, how to be sure I leave no trace, weather or not we're going to purchase an inexpensive RV or sleep in the SUV we have, blah blah blah... Oh and my gift, I love gift giving. That's important to me.
Cmack84

Postby Savannah » Mon May 19, 2014 9:35 am

Cmack84 wrote:Next year, assuming we get tickets we're there! I already had a vacation planned and paid for so BM this year simply isn't in the budget. Plus, I need to start working on sewing some pieces for my outfits. I need time to transition from quilting to sewing clothes. So, I'm glad you say playa standards are low. If none of my pieces turn out, I'll go nude. That's an option right?!

Oh, aye. There are people wearing outfits that cost them hundreds of dollars or dozens of hours to make, and other people just walking around topless or naked--though often with shoes, for protection. There are other folks in the uniform of their department, or folks in the same kilt for 5 days. Weirdly enough, almost everyone smells pretty good even with fewer baths than in the default world . . . something about the wind or the dust on the inside of your nose makes this work.

I'm a serial planner. I'm planning my meals, how to be sure I leave no trace, weather or not we're going to purchase an inexpensive RV or sleep in the SUV we have, blah blah blah... Oh and my gift, I love gift giving. That's important to me.

Here are some cool threads on gifts I found by searching eplaya gifts on google. The definition of gift is awesomely broad.

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=25128
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=38967
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=34974

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!