How to DJ a set at Burning Man 2014?

How to DJ a set at Burning Man 2014?

Postby flounderhouse » Fri May 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi there-- I was wondering if anyone knew how a musician could set up to DJ a set at Burning Man? Do you just bring all your stuff and pick a spot and do it yourself? Is there somewhere you can sign up to participate at a stage? Is this even possible if you aren't one of the known acts that is scheduled to perform?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
flounderhouse

Burning Since: 2014

Re: How to DJ a set at Burning Man 2014?

Postby jeremedia » Fri May 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Will this be your first burn?
jeremedia

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: EXPEDITION OKNOTOK

Postby flounderhouse » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Yes! Very excited!
flounderhouse

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Try and make contact with smaller camps (not the big sound camps at 2 and 10 o'clock)--there's a list of camps that were on the playa last year on the burningman.com main site. I don't know, do you submit a set tape? Whatever the usual procedure is, and do the footwork, djs are a dime a dozen on playa (and with no commerce, there's no dimes, just dozens.)
Be prepared to be the butt of many jokes.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby flounderhouse » Fri May 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Ah, I don't care if people make jokes, just want to play some music and have a great time and figured I'd see if it was possible and how it's done.

Thanks!
flounderhouse

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 09, 2014 6:59 pm

[media]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Drawingablank » Fri May 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Contact djplacement@burningman.com and have them send you the 12 page application form.

Fill it out in triplicate, and return it with a minimum recording of 360 minutes of yourself in action, then just await placement.

Be patient, they get so many applications it may take years for them to respond.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby EspressoDude » Sun May 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Great Job Crypto!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby andy » Sun May 11, 2014 8:07 pm

On a more serious note, I think it is unlikely that a large established sound camp is looking for DJs. Remember that at Burning man virtually everything is built by the participants, sop there is no "official" or main stage. There is actually one organization-provided stage in the Center Camp Cafe, but I don't even know if they permit DJs, it's more for small intimate performances pieces and small live bands.

But remember that many camps want to improve on the interactive entertainment that they provide to the community. If you find a camp that has a nice public space but doesn't have a DJ or sound system and offer to be their DJ and provide the entire system, they may welcome you to join their camp and provide that service. You have to switch your mindset from "I want someone to give me a chance to perform in their tiny club" to "I want to open a tiny club and perform".

If all else fails you can make your own stage (or draw an imaginary stage in your camp) and set up speakers and play music at your camp. Remember that you must provide your own power and there are some rules for amplified music but they basically apply to very loud music, and you can't DJ on the open playa (the area where the camps are NOT).

Hope this helps - I hope you recognized the earlier email about submitting an application as the joke it was - some people on these boards look askance at people who don't really understand BM (yet) and ask the same question you did. But do read up on the event, and seriously the BM website has a huge amount of info, read, read, and read some more and you'll get the idea. If you do choose to come, then welcome to the Playa.
andy

Postby dragonpilot » Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Almost every year I've come across someone who has set up their own equipment on the street in front of their camp and just start spinning tunes. In no time they have a street full of dancers blocking traffic.

I've also come across someone standing on their street with a garden sprayer, or someone offering cold drinks/eats, trinkets...whatever. Point is, do your thing and they will come.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Return to Introduce Yourself!