Intro + questions! :)

Intro + questions! :)

Postby andimok » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 am

Hello, everybody.

My mom and I are planning on going to Burning Man for the first time in 2015 all the way from Brazil! :D I've been reading all the info on the website, but I still have oh, so many questions (I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to ask questions here).
First things first, NICE TO MEET YOU. I'm Carol, an 18-year old from Brazil who's going to film school in L.A in a couple of months. I've known about Burning Man for a couple of years now, and I'm finally making plans to go and have the time of my life - with my best friend slash mom.
Now, I do have some questions. Some of which may sound silly, but keep in mind I'm totally new to the practical side of Burning Man.
Here we go.

. I plan on renting a car and driving to Burning Man from L.A - how long would that take? Is that the best option? I need to get a vehicle pass if I go by car - but what other way would I get there? Black Rock City is in the middle of nowhere, isn't it?
. Theme Camps. I don't get what those are. I know I don't HAVE to stay in one, but I hear it's the best option - especially for first-timers. Now, how do I register to get into one? Do I have to pay more? How do I choose the one I like the most? Ahhh, help.
. Shower, restrooms… uh, yeah. How?
. Why is Black Rock City shaped like a "C" and divided that way? Any specific reason? Can I just camp anywhere, or?

I think that's it. That's all I can remember right now, at least. If you want to give me any more tips, please do that!
So exciting! :shock:
andimok

Burning Since: 2015

Re: Intro + questions! :)

Postby Monkeystyle » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 am

wow, you have a lot of reading to do. first off, get on trying to get tickets, the STEP program opens in a few weeks for those that didn't get tickets when they sold out over a month ago. you don't just register for a theme camp, you have to talk to people from the camps and hopefully you will be asked to join them. they choose you, not the other way around. most of the camps that I've looked into do charge camp dues to members, most of them over $100 per person but I've seen a couple well over $300. port-o-potties are provided by burning man but showers are not, neither is water, you need to bring all of your own water and food. the one thing that some camps do provide is a shower space, so that is one benefit. if you rent a car in LA you are looking at a good days driving to get to black rock. other options are the burner express but no info for that has been posted yet for 2014. and the shape of the city helps people find their camp. radial streets are named for times on a clock with the man in the center, with the intersecting streets being named alphabetically leading out from the innermost road. also it keeps all ends of the named streets equally close to the center of black rock and the man. good luck with the reading and planning :coffee:
Monkeystyle

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby andimok » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks, Monkeystyle! :) I want to go in 2015 though, that's not sold out yet - so I still have some time for reading and planning.

How would I contact anyone about the theme camps? Like, I don't know anybody. Is there any other way?

Can I have as much fun if I don't go to a theme camp? As a first-time burner?
andimok

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:09 am

I find it easier to go alone.

That way you're completely free to explore.

Everyone should pack like if they arrive and no one else shows up, they would still be fine for a week.

Zoom in and play with this.

http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/66285/

You can camp in any open space in the city! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby andimok » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:26 am

FIGJAM - yeah, I'm thinking going alone is the best option for us right now, as theme camps come with a lot of responsibility. In the future, maybe. Thank youuu.

If anyone else has any other tips, feel free to help me out.
andimok

Postby trilobyte » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:38 am

Welcome! For answers to your questions, you may want to check out the other sections of the site. Answers are either there, or the questions best posted in the respective section.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Welcome! the burningman.com web has much information and history.

Theme camps are registered camps that offer interaction or services to other burners. They apply and are placed on the city map before the event starts. There are many finding a camp ideas on ePlaya you can find with search.

There are many of other camps of friends, even 10,20 or more people, that arrive and find an empty spot. The camps of friends are found by word of mouth and personal connection.

The advantage of a camp can be shared shade and chairs for lounging and talking, a shower, a kitchen, the opportunity to work on projects together, and the value of past experience at the event. A shower is a luxury and many people do without because the shower water is not allowed to soak into the ground - that is discussed as gray water on burningman.com.

When you arrive in LA, you can start making friends with burners there through the "regional" found at Burningman.com, then build your own social network, person by person and going to house parties. You can also connect to the Brazil burning man regional group now.

Because of the dust there are many rental car (van) discussions on ePlaya. You may also find rideshare discussions.

The packing list discussions are good. Costumes are good, though some people just wear camping clothes.

Enjoy your burn and good for starting your preparation now.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Tazz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi Andimok,

Sounds like you will be in LA this summer. A great way to find out more and plan for your time on the playa is to meet local burners. LA has a Burner Meet and Greet each month. see this web page. http://regionals.burningman.com/events/2014-07/. Also, there are regional burner events that you can attend. These are also listed on the regionals page. We just had a great event in our neck of the woods called the Burnal Equinox Nevada City!

Glad you are planning to join us!!
Tazz

Burning Since: 2006

Postby purcitron » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 pm

any suggestions on how to find/team-up with camp/shelter buddies please?
purcitron

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Welcome! Here's a good thread for you:

Where Do I Camp?
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=29356

And a good forum: 2014 Theme Camps.
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewforum.php?f=364

You'll want to read the Survival Guide on the main site one more time before you start contacting theme camps, because they will be able to tell if you haven't done the minimum reading (just like we can tell ;) ). Here's why they care: most Theme Camps aren't there to house people; they exist to provide experiences to the rest of the city, and in return for helping them, you get a bit of support.

You can also make a camp of two, camp outside of reserved theme camp areas, and be free as a bird.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:59 pm

purcitron wrote:any suggestions on how to find/team-up with camp/shelter buddies please?

You might want to not post the same thing over and over. We want to help. But, we hate being annoyed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:19 am

Hi andimok, Welcome to ePlaya!!

Random answers:

For sleeping - just bring a tent.

I drive/fly down from Canada every year and it it pretty straight forward. Not particularly helpful? Look for what you NEED to Bring (water, food, meds, warm/cool clothes, foot covering, etc) then for things that are good to have (like a "dust proof tent", cooler, bike) and possible "luxuries" like a shade structure, bike, beer cooler, etc. Start making lists, looking for things and then checking to see if other people have tried them (research). If possible, look for a Burning Man group in your area (or the area that you plan on going to). Local burners are happy to guide virgins (burgins)...

If you are stressed about "ALL THE THINGS", how about something like Green Tortoise. I have met people from all over the world who have travelled/camped with this group...

There are porta-potties provided, but everything else is up to you. It is only a week, and there is really no humidity so showering is not "really" necessary.

If you want to find answers try using google like so: eplaya finding a theme camp or eplaya renting a car or eplaya what is the best tent
or something like that. You will get assorted answers from ePlaya.

Maybe looking at the survival guide will give you a sense of perspective? http://survival.burningman.com/

If you have not already noticed, ePlaya has something called "Snark" - Where you start to get ridiculous/rude responses to your questions. These responses are prompted by the regular users seeing the exact same questions asked 100's of times every year. (thus my google hint)

Once you seriously get into researching, and find that very specific questions are needed (like "I have a 10x10 popup shade structure that I am reinforcing with fence posts and plan on attaching to the ground with 18 inch reebar and parachute cord, what is the best way to attach the shade poles to the fence posts??")- you will find the reponses a little less snarky and more helpful... That kind of question indicates that you have the beginnings of a plan and will prompt mostly useful responses.

I hope this helps...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Return to Introduce Yourself!