Introduction - why not?

Introduction - why not?

Postby TangoOn » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 pm

Thought I'd get into the spirit by introducing myself. First time burner, 60 yrs, looking for that collective and participatory experience of people enjoying one another's company and sharing. Just turning 60 so I also thought this would be a great way to celebrate having made it this far! I was curious if there are any Argentine Tango fans who might be interested in linking up? I think it would be wonderful to share the tango experience with others, but I'm not sure how to find out about that or if there are any dance or tango camps. Also, seriously into wine making and photography, but wine and the desert temperatures are not exactly compatible. Anyhow, that's me (or part of me).
TangoOn

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Introduction - why not?

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello and welcome! You're sure to find what you're looking for out on the playa, but it pays to start searching the resources available here as well. Read the survival guide, read the first timer's guide, check the forums for answers to any questions you may have. Over in the theme camp section of the forum, for example, you'd find a thread pointing you towards this camp listing from last year. This year's won't be out for some time, but quite a few camps come back year after year.

http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/themecamps.html

Doing a very quick search there brings up this:

Tangoed up in Blues
Discover what it’s like to hold a partner in your arms and move to the music. Tango. Blues Dance. Join us in re-popularizing partner dance in America.
Hometown: Seattle
URL: http://bluestango.com

Their website is live and says they're accepting camp members for 2014, though I'd shop around and look at the costs/amenities/duties of this camp and some others before you decide to join.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby TT120 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Hello! Welcome to ePlaya!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby 9ah » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Welcome!

Good luck in finding fellow tango fans. Also consider checking out http://sunriseburners.com/ .. Pretty good blog. :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm

TangoOn wrote:Also, seriously into wine making and photography, but wine and the desert temperatures are not exactly compatible. Anyhow, that's me (or part of me).

Don't be so sure...check out Barbie Death Camp Wine Bistro and Spanky's Wine Bar...to name a couple of successful purveyors of fine wines on the playa.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby FossaFerox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:19 pm

We had an unregistered winery across the street from us as well.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 am

I know someone was trying a tango camp a few years back...
A thread from last year.
And this is probably the one I was thinking of.
And that's the first two pages of a search on tango, and there are six more. Be warned. There's a lot of "Whisky Tango Foxtrot" cluttering up the data.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Getting drunk on whiskey and dancing both the tango and the foxtrot? Now that sounds like a magical evening.
FossaFerox

Return to Introduce Yourself!