Another First Time Aussie Collective (AFTAC)

Another First Time Aussie Collective (AFTAC)

Postby keegsm » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Greetings BM Interwebbers, first timers here. :mrgreen:

Just popping in to say hey.. Hey yo!.. and to quickly connect with a few as I wrangle the lovely faces i have accompaning myself on this journey.

After completing a bit of solo travel we are all meeting up (prehaps in San Fran :?: Looks like an easy enough path?) the week before.
(Once we have sorted out travel, if space is available, we will be more than happen to help those in need of a lift).

Cant wait to cross paths with great friends, both new and old, on the other side on this planet. From what ive read and been told i think ill need to look into some theme camps a bit. When will these by updated for the 2014 BM? or are they a fairly consistent each year?

Im sure ill be back here quite a few times during the process.

Again, hello hej n hi!

Keegsm
keegsm

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Another First Time Aussie Collective (AFTAC)

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Theme camps are entirely optional.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:26 pm

You should avoid as much Burning Man media or information as possible with exception to transportation, supplies, survival, and camping comfort help and tricks.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lulu_Mou » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 am

Hello fellow mate!

If space is available I would love to fill it with all my love and joy to BRC.
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!
lulu_Mou

Postby keegsm » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 am

Was told they were a good idea as a first timer, but much more reading to do!

So keep it do the survival guide BBadger?

will keep you in the loop lulu ^^
keegsm

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:07 am

I expect BBadger's advice is the same thing I find myself telling first timers: focus on logistics and survival first, followed by comfort, rather than mooning over photos and videos or designing a different outfit for each day. Apart from the required reading (First Timers' Guide & Survival Guide), there is a lot of great information out there to help prepare, including these boards. Contributing to a theme camp is great and all, but the first priority should be each covering their own needs for survival.

Additionally, if you don't survive, please be sure not to MOOP your body.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Joeln » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:29 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Additionally, if you don't survive, please be sure not to MOOP your body.

:lol:

Last night I went to a fire jam that a local burner I met online at one of the camp sites invited me to.
Met friendly people, drummed, watched the dancers & hoopers - good time.
My friend said "don't bring any expectations except that you will have an emotional breakdown during the week."
He said "the overstimulation compares to an acid trip."
Also "don't bring too much stuff."
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am

keegsm wrote:Was told they were a good idea as a first timer, but much more reading to do!

They can be. They can function as a support system. But a camp (not a "theme camp", there is a difference in burner terms) can do that as well. And a camp can be a group of a half dozen who decide to camp together and share resources. Or you can go by yourself and not owe anybody anything.
A real theme camp is going to require work from you, and possibly dues. And that is only the beginning of the calculations involved.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lulu_Mou » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Keegsm, cheers for that.. How I'm getting in is the only detail that is not set in stone.

And yeah there is a stack of reading to do and a bunch of info to take in but once you get your head around it all it's not all that scary or overwhelming..... In saying that..... I've never been and I have a tendency to think everything is as easy as pie :lol:
Burners I've met here in oz keep telling me to join a theme camp/camp too but I don't think I want to. Other than offering a few shared resources to make our journey a lot easier coming from the other side of the planet the only other thing I think it provides is company..... I could be wrong though. This is still something I am tossing up myself as I'm going solo so far.

But you will have your own group of people and if you are completely prepared as this forum has it all and as does the survival guide you should be ok. Plus if you missed something that you didn't account for you can always ask your fellow neighbour and take it from there.

Where abouts are you in oz? I can help you plan stuff if you want to join forces.
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!
lulu_Mou

Postby keegsm » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks all, really appreciate the feed back, learning learning.

Very true lulu. We're in Melbourne, yourself?
keegsm

Postby lulu_Mou » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Get outta here!! :D I'm from Melbourne too!!! When are you and your crew flying to the states? We should totally get together and plan things. Well if you want that is. We're just friends who haven't met yet :D
lulu_Mou

Postby Jovankat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 am

Joeln wrote:
BoyScoutGirl wrote:Additionally, if you don't survive, please be sure not to MOOP your body.

:lol:

My friend said "don't bring any expectations except that you will have an emotional breakdown during the week."

Your friend is entirely correct. :shock:

But then you get past it and everything is amazing! :D
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!