Kiwi abroad... Bye bye boring.

Kiwi abroad... Bye bye boring.

Postby Mrstry » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey one and all,

My husband and I are dying of normalcy in New Zealand. We want to be around others who want to embrace the world and lead interesting and fulfilling lives.

In August we are leaving to travel the world and do things that we want to do!! First stop is to visit my dad in Arizona and then, if all goes to plan, BURNING MAN!!
There's so much information to take in but I'm trying to be patient...

Husband been taking care of the watching-burning-man-videos-on-YouTube responsibility . Thank god I've got him to do all the fun stuff because that is just NOT me at all, loathe having fun. :?

See you all soonsies.... Xxxxx
Mrstry

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Kiwi abroad... Bye bye boring.

Postby FossaFerox » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:41 pm

Welcome!

I'd honestly recommend that neither of you watch videos or look at too many pictures going forward.

Read the survival guide and other prep tips, but keep in mind the goal is to build up your supplies, not your expectations. Having your mind continually blown is a priceless experience. The magic of a virgin burn isn't something you should undermine by watching a bunch of videos so that you know what to expect.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby Mrstry » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks FossaFerox! Looking forward to it :)
Mrstry

Postby kiwiburner » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:58 am

Hey there,

we're also in NZ & off to BM again this year. We read a lot & looked at loads of pics/vids beforehand & still had an awesome experience. We had a pretty stressful lead up due to a dodgy mechanic (in AZ ironically) so maybe because of that we found BM itself to be a breeze. Some of the stuff you will read on here will have you in a cold sweat thinking everything you bring (clothes, bikes, vehicles, wives) will disintegrate the moment you leave, your life will be emotionally torn apart & you'll never be happy again outside that one week in late August. We loved the atmosphere of BM (everyone was awesome) & in some ways it was life changing (as many other events in life are, regularly), but apart from some old gym shoes that we'd taken to wander around in, our stuff survived just fine. We weren't as prepared as we'd hoped (thanks to aforementioned mechanic) but BM was at the beginning of an 8000 mile road trip across the US so we were perhaps more prepared than most. It may also be that we've done a lot of travel & our Kiwi half spent months camping as a kid.

Don't panic, read all you can (while keeping some grains of salt at hand) & most of all, relax - we felt that some people got themselves so worked up in the build-up to BM that they needlessly stressed themselves out. That said, everyone is different & ditto their perspectives on life.

As far as joining camps go, there are a LOAD of options & it will depend a lot on you guys. We ended up in a pretty laid back (very central) camp where the hard core partying was at a minimum so we actually did get to sleep without any issues.

Cheers
kiwiburner

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Icarus_Bob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:59 am

Awesome, glad to hear there will be other kiwis going...this will be our first burn also and really looking forward to it...we don't plan on joining a camp, and just joining in on the fun where ever we find it. Keep your eyes peeled for a big silver fern and come say hello!
Icarus_Bob

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:39 pm

Welcome, Mrstry! :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!