First timer from Sydney - eep!

First timer from Sydney - eep!

Postby sydneykat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi ya'll (seriously, no true blue Aussie says gday anymore),

My mates have bailed. But I still have a strong pull to do BM this year...solo...eek.

I'm a writer, a sensitive soul, a seeker...and I reckon after a lot of research, my best bet is to join a camp - pitch in and experience it all.

Do camps post on eplaya, looking for people to join them? Or are Facebook groups the best way to go?

Cheers! :D
sydneykat

Burning Since: 2014

Re: First timer from Sydney - eep!

Postby Elliot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Welcome to ePlaya! Some big camps are represented here, but there are a thousand others. I suggest you participate in discussions here, and maybe look thru the list of Theme Camps from last year (on the main web site), to see if anything catches your interest, then contact them if possible.

Regardless of whether you team up with anybody, you will have a fabulous time.
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby sydneykat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 am

Why thankya, Elliot. :)

I imagine much will be revealed in the coming months...

My #1 query at the mo is whether I pitch a tent or hire an RV for myself. Tent pitching isn't a great skill of mine. I once accidentally bought a children's tent. Only way to sleep in it was diagonally, with my feet sticking out the end. In a hot Sydney summer. With mosquitoes. And snakes. :roll:
sydneykat

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:51 am

Difficult choice that, tent or RV. Obviously, an RV is easier in many ways. But the cost is high, and it may be difficult to even get one.
A tent should have a second structure over it, such as a canvas carport, for shade. A tent alone will turn into a solar oven. Lots of information here on ePlaya about shade structures.

Yes, there is much to be learned -- and it is all soooo worth the effort!

Oh... we say "rent" a vehicle, rather than "hire". When you "hire" a vehicle, it comes with a chauffeur.
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby sydneykat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the tips!

And I meant to say 'hire'. Drive myself? Bah! :P
sydneykat

Postby IamJP » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:42 am

Hola sheala!

I have been thinking the same thing. I am so far heading solo aswell. I may rent RV to pull in with my truck. If its big enough I may can share it if your down? just throwing it out there.
peace love
IamJP

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am

Shoot, Austria is a long ways away, ain't it? ;)

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

RV share

Postby London-Hamburg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi,
I would like to share a RV, we are two Ladies and it is also our first BM :-)

Cheers,
Nursel
London-Hamburg

Postby Fidget » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Not to put a damper on Gump's post but going it alone and just saddling up next to your neighbors could be the most fun you have! A friend of mine did something similar - went alone and made immediate friends with neighbs and said it was the best time he'd had at Burning Man. Being in a position to genuinely appreciate the gifting and good will aimed your way (simply because you almost certainly need it) can make for an amazing time.

But then I suppose joining up with an established camp could also! Likewise with RV sharing with randoms - could be a nightmare but could also be super amazing!

Either way, welcome!
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Burning Since: 2013

Postby CocoKiora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Hey guys, this thread has made me even more confident in going alone!

The only thing I know on how to get there is catching a plane to the States...

So hitchhiking to BRC is a must, but joining a theme camp is probably a lot safer!

If not.... Any tips on getting to the place solo?

I've PM'ed you forrest Gump & Sydneykat!
CocoKiora

Postby Monkeystyle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:25 pm

so you're flying into reno for burning man? there are a lot of ride shares from the airport as well as people shuttling from what I've read on here, so that's an option.
Monkeystyle

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lulu_Mou » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:02 am

Hey there peoples!!!
And welcome sydneykat. I too have been keen to do it alone. Pitch a tent and shade and all... This forum has tons of info and what works and what doesn't. What's ideal and what's not. I'll happily help pitch your tent and make sure it's secure so it doesn't blow away... Surely us Aussie chicks can work this shit out!
Now having both my flights and BM ticket just need to decide if I should actually do it on my own. I mean.... So many options. I can Catch the burner bus in or ride share.... Probably won't hire sorry "rent" a vehicle coz I didn't think of getting a pass at the time...... How are your plans coming along?
Everyone I've met from here (in Melbourne) who have been before keep telling me just join a camp as it's the easiest way for us coming from such a far place and just pitch a tent around that area but I don't know..... So confused on what to do..... Would love to here how your going maybe you can shed some light.
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!
lulu_Mou

Postby HbombJon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:15 am

Hello fellow Aussies, I am not actually Australian but never mind!

This is my first time too, also going solo from Sydney. There is a lot to consider. It looks like it might be pretty hard/expensive getting all the stuff we need together. How are your plans coming along?
HbombJon

Postby Mrstry » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Hey Sydneykat, me and my hubby are from NZ and this year will be our first too!! Would be cool to meet some peeps nearer our neck of the woods over there :)
Mrstry

Postby lulu_Mou » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm

For some reason I can't post my reply :x
if you are a positive pure spirit, regardless of how many wounds, scars, disappointments, losses you've felt in your life- it will heal you, will nurture you, will give you charge and inspiration, will gift you wings. it will change your life forever!
lulu_Mou

Postby keegsm » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Hello fellow aussie first timers,

Looks like we're all going through similar dilemmas, i wish you the best in ur decision making and my little group discover some amazing helpful pieces, i will be sure to pass these along ^_^
keegsm

Postby Jovankat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:23 am

Hey Guys,

I'm a Sydney second timer. I camped with a theme camp last year and it looks like my boyfriend and I will be doing our own thing this year. If that goes ahead we'd probably be keen to have some people join us and help out with our art project.

Also there is a group of first time Sydney kids getting together in May to plan and work stuff out, my BF and I will be going along. The details are here- https://www.facebook.com/events/1395247094088846/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!