Greetings from Bellingham!

Greetings from Bellingham!

Postby ninjenna » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Hello!
My name is Jenna. I'm 29 and I've recently made the 450 mile move from Roseburg, Oregon to Bellingham, Washington. I have been an avid reader of anything Burning Man I could get my hands on. As of now, I see that Burning Man is 771 miles away from me. At the moment, I'm considering flying in to Reno. I see also that to rent a car in Reno would be about $32/day. Is there any type of car pooling from Reno or any type of bus that covers that distance? I've been reading so much, but not as of lately. I'm coming to the boards! Thank you for your warm welcome. I'm determined to make 2014 the year I make it to Burning Man! Does anyone have any thoughts about traveling from Reno to Black Rock City besides a rental car? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Jenna
ninjenna

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Greetings from Bellingham!

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:43 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elliot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 am

:D
Hey Jenna, welcome!

But how could you move from lovely Roseburg? :shock:

In 2013 a shuttle bus service called Burner Express was started. It is managed by the Burning Man organizers and was a great success. Here is a link to the relevant information on the BM main web site:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... oz7xieE7XQ

It is amazing how much information is available on the site. Since you been reading for a good while, you have probably found the Survival Guide, which is required reading. You will also find much information here on the forum -- if you are willing to search thru our discussions of The Meaning Of Life and such nonsense. :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi Jenna, welcome!

The Burner Express is definitely the way to go if you're set on flying in. The hard part will be getting everything you need out to the playa if you aren't part of a larger camp. Shade, food, water, bike, etc can be quite burdensome. Of course, 771 miles isn't that bad of a drive.

I drove a little over 700 this year (Los Angeles to Danville to Reno) and it was definitely the way to go given how much stuff we brought. We spent Saturday night in Reno (lots of hotels offer discounts for burners) so we could get a good nights sleep and a shower before making the final leg of the trip on Sunday. We had two SUVs and a box truck loaded to the brim that made the drive with a fourth vehicle coming in from Utah.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby bedlamdoll » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi neighbor to the north!

Maybe you could coordinate with some of the folks who drive in from Seattle? If you are thinking flying will be best for you, maybe you can see if someone can make room for a couple of things that might be hard to transport on an airplane?
bedlamdoll

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Yeah...don't fly unless you're time-crunched. The road trip is always so much a fun part of the trip. Flying can be in a way, but not the way a road trip can offer. You've got lots of time to get integrated into the B'ham-Seattle Burner community...get your ride situated, etc.

Either way...good luck!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ninjenna » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Thank you for your warm replies as they are much appreciated. I was set on flying until you mentioned all the stuff.... I figured I could get some last minute things (water) in Reno before departing. I am really happy to hear about that bus! Wow, that's some good news. Driving by myself for 771 miles... or flying and taking some of that time out is what made me think highly of the idea. So many things to plan! Yes, I most certainly have read the Survival Guide. Since it's been awhile, I'm beginning to read it again. I can't wait! For now, I enjoy reading of others' experiences with Burning Man and how much positive energy surrounds *everyone*. I cannot wait until I have my own experiences. :)

Jenna
ninjenna

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 am

Jenna, The Captain Godmmitt (on this board) is in Seattle.. Also a large group out of Port Townson go to Burning Man.. So your no along in the rain...
unjonharley

Return to Introduce Yourself!