Virgin Burners from Norcal!

Virgin Burners from Norcal!

Postby nshimafr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello fellow burners!
My boyfriend, his sister and I are going to Burning Man for the first time together! We are meeting up at a camp with some seasoned burners and the feeling is a little bit like planning to go to the moon. We have been told that gifting is a tradition at burning man,so we need some help thinking up some original, awesome, and easy to make gifts to provide for all you lovely burners! Any ideas?
nshimafr

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Miscellaneous Heathens

Re: Virgin Burners from Norcal!

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:39 pm

nshimafr wrote:Hello fellow burners!
My boyfriend, his sister and I are going to Burning Man for the first time together! We are meeting up at a camp with some seasoned burners and the feeling is a little bit like planning to go to the moon. We have been told that gifting is a tradition at burning man,so we need some help thinking up some original, awesome, and easy to make gifts to provide for all you lovely burners! Any ideas?

Welcome! I'm in norcal, too.

no, you have no obligation to gift.
if you come up with some simple, useful, and maybe handmade thing, cool.But, no one expects a gift. A hug, smile, help setting something up.........all are great!
Take your first time, to just soak it all in. After this, you'll know more about what you may want to gift others, if anything.
don't get caught up in dogma, or "you oughta"s. Have fun, be kind to other, or at least don't directly hurt them, and enjoy.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TT120 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Don't worry about "gifts" and such your first time. Concentrate on being prepared for a week long camping trip in a very harsh environment. After your first time, you'll have a much better understanding of what to bring next year.

Gifting is not mandatory but it can be fun.

Helping someone set up or tear down their camp is a great gift.
Mooping your camp and surrounding areas is a great gift as well.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:08 pm

I always take a small cooler with me every day. When I see someone who looks like they could use a cold drink, I offer them one. Nothing spectacular or that creative, but people seem to enjoy it. The past year our neighbor came over and gave us coffee while we set up camp. No need for other gifts, give of yourself.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Savannah » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:09 pm

Welcome! :D

Good gifts: assistance, hot food, cold fruit, cold drinks, or giving or sharing with someone something they clearly need. You'll see, don't worry. Keep it simple. It's not an obligation, and it's not trade or barter.

If you make pretty things, necklaces with the Man and the year are well-received.

Playa Gift Ideas
viewtopic.php?t=25128
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!