First time burner from Albany NY

First time burner from Albany NY

Postby craig1231 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello all. I am excited to say that I am planning to attending my first Burning man event this year. Ive been scouring the board and other online sources for as much information as I can gather. I have read the Survival guide (and sure I will be reading it many more times before August) and must admit I am slightly overwhelmed. I know everything will work out and I will have an amazing time. If any experience burners have any advice, feel free to let me know. If there is anyone else from the Albany area, please introduce yourself. It would be great to know a few people from this area before headed out west. What the heck.. no matter where your from, feel to introduce yourself. The more the merrier.
craig1231

Burning Since: 2013

Re: First time burner from Albany NY

Postby Drawingablank » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Hi Craig! We have tons of advice. We just do best with specific questions, and ones that suggest you've read the guide and will therefore be an awesome playa neighbor. I don't imagine that it'll be a problem. :)

Meet your fellow New Yorkers.
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ny.html

Being overwhelmed is pretty normal.

Welcome to the board. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby 9ah » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Hello!
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jkisha » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey Craig,
Welcome to eplaya!

You're going to thank your self in August for starting preparations now!

What are you thinking for travel from NY to NV?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby craig1231 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm flying from Albany to Tacoma (WA), which is where my cousin lives. Then we are driving from Tacoma to Black Rock City. Its about a 12 hour drive I think, which should definitely add to the adventure.
craig1231

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:57 pm

craig1231 wrote:I'm flying from Albany to Tacoma (WA), which is where my cousin lives. Then we are driving from Tacoma to Black Rock City. Its about a 12 hour drive I think, which should definitely add to the adventure.

It's almost 15 hours from Tacoma, plus however long it takes for you to wait in line (3-5 hours' wait is average, if you're coming in with everyone else Sunday night/Monday morning). Google Maps won't tell you this, but during the last 2+ hours of the drive you will be driving only 40mph to cope with the hills, the windy turns, and the cows in the road. :) You might have to smush a rabbit or two (it's safer, sadly) but you'll want to be able to stop for the cows. :shock:

i.e., unless one of you is able to sleep quite a while while the other drives, consider driving 8-10 hours your first day and budgeting for a motel in Central/SE Oregon. Especially on the way back, when you're probably going to be really tired.

Savannah

Postby Caltd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Savannah wrote:It's almost 15 hours from Tacoma, plus however long it takes for you to wait in line (3-5 hours' wait is average, if you're coming in with everyone else Sunday night/Monday morning). Google Maps won't tell you this, but during the last 2+ hours of the drive you will be driving only 40mph to cope with the hills, the windy turns, and the cows in the road. :) You might have to smush a rabbit or two (it's safer, sadly) but you'll want to be able to stop for the cows. :shock:

i.e., unless one of you is able to sleep quite a while while the other drives, consider driving 8-10 hours your first day and budgeting for a motel in Central/SE Oregon. Especially on the way back, when you're probably going to be really tired.

Awesome advice - absolutely the kind of stuff we need to know! Thanks! :D
[________________________________________]
Caltd

Camp Name: Looking to join a camp!

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

To add to Savannah's recommendations, consider departing Seattle/Tacoma with an overnight stop at Summer Lake Hot Springs near Paisley, OR...or the Eagle's Nest RV Park, Tionesta, California...excellent stopover spots and a nice break along the way to ease into the Burner culture...awesomely Burner friendly folks!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 am

dragonpilot wrote:To add to Savannah's recommendations, consider departing Seattle/Tacoma with an overnight stop at Summer Lake Hot Springs near Paisley, OR...or the Eagle's Nest RV Park, Tionesta, California...excellent stopover spots and a nice break along the way to ease into the Burner culture...awesomely Burner friendly folks!

Yes, indeed . . . if you can get as far as Klamath Falls in a day (but that's over halfway) this is an option, and it's free.
viewtopic.php?f=324&t=63970

Savannah

Postby craig1231 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Thank you all for the info
craig1231

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

All good advice. This is useful for routes - http://gwally.com/directions/ - people have their favorite stores, eateries, wateries, fueleries and Gwally has a list for each town. Eagles Rest or Summer Lake outbound are great to wash the dust off and get in some clean clothes and ideal to sleep out the exhaustion.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Return to Introduce Yourself!