Hello There

Hello There

Postby shwyatt12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 am

Hiya,

My name is Kiira, I'm from SF but I currently live in London. 2013 will be my first of --hopefully many years-- going to Burning Man. My buddy Jess and I are planning to come over from San Francisco. We don't have a camp or really a clue of what to plan for if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. I can't wait to meet everyone in the dust!
shwyatt12

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Hello There

Postby JayBobBoy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:17 am

Welcome to E-playa!

Very general requests for advice are usually met with quite a bit of sarcasm around here...get ready.

Anyway...Read through the forums, the survival guide and anything else you can get your hands on. Most of the regulars here will be very helpful to those who are willing to do a bit of homework first!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby mytripod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 am

Hi there! When I decided to go to burning man for the first time in 2011, I started with the First-timers Guide, the Survival Guide, and the preparation page. I then branched out by following suggested links, looked at other people's packing lists, watched Halcyon's fun videos, researched shade cloth, etc. Because I got my ticket in July, I was a little overwhelmed by all of the information I was taking in and completely overlooked eplaya. You are getting a nice early start on figuring stuff out, but definitely start with the First-timers Guide. That's why it is there.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby illy dilly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 am

Welcome to eplaya!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 pm

shwyatt12 wrote:Hiya,

My name is Kiira, I'm from SF but I currently live in London. 2013 will be my first of --hopefully many years-- going to Burning Man. My buddy Jess and I are planning to come over from San Francisco. We don't have a camp or really a clue of what to plan for if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. I can't wait to meet everyone in the dust!

Hey Kiira! :D

Read the Survival Guide linked in my sig here below, and use the starter pack list in the Guide to start your To Pack and To Buy lists. Then you'll know what questions to ask, and we can help. However, you put yourself in the best headspace for the event if you read, read, read first, and trust yourself to be able to find many answers on your own. Tip: Google keyword + eplaya for the easy ones.

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TomServo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:16 pm

Welcome to eplaya! Do your homework!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm

And be sure to come by the ePlaya Meet & Greet, Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro on or about 4:00 and E. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby 9ah » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby jkisha » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Rice » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Welcome!!

My advice:
you can find out a lot of things by using Google - just be sure to put the word "eplaya" in your search and all kinds of answers will appear...

secondary advice: Do not go down the 100 foot astro-turf covered slide naked! (seriously, don't do it!!)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby 9ah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 am

Isn't the slide gone? I'm so confused now!!!
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby shwyatt12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Yes, I've read a bunch already-- working on my self reliance. Google has done wonders!
I meant advice in a very general sense, like " Don't forget to bring baby wipes, they will save your life." which is what my father told me.
shwyatt12

Postby shwyatt12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Rice wrote:

secondary advice: Do not go down the 100 foot astro-turf covered slide naked! (seriously, don't do it!!)

Ouch, that's sounds really painful. Did your bum bleed?
shwyatt12

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm

shwyatt12 wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome!
Yes, I've read a bunch already-- working on my self reliance. Google has done wonders!
I meant advice in a very general sense, like " Don't forget to bring baby wipes, they will save your life." which is what my father told me.

We're not very good at general advice because the subject matter is so broad and having an enjoyable Burn depends on a hundred different things and varies from person to person. Also, the Survival Guide gives the most necessary advice already (and mentions baby wipes too, btw).

But since you bring up baby wipes, I'm able to get specific with you. :P

1) Buy the refill size baby wipes in a bag, not a box. Boxes dry out faster, and don't give you as many wipes.
2) Double-bag: put the bag of wipes in a ziploc bag with a slider closure. That way if you don't close your wipes all the way by accident, the outer bag will help you out.
3) If your wipes start to feel dry, do not wipe your skin with them before either spritzing 'em liberally with water, lemon or vinegar, because a damp (not wet) wipe seems to "activate" the playa dust's alkaline properties, without removing the dust. This hurts.

While I'm thinking about skin: Don't forget broad spectrum sunscreen, a rich lotion, several lip balms, and some baby powder.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm

shwyatt12 wrote:
Rice wrote:

Ouch, that's sounds really painful. Did your bum bleed?

I only observed others pain.... I took one look at the slide, checked out what I was wearing and decided to decline. (that year, the slide generated more injuries than everywhere else on the playa combined!!)

I did see a lot of buts with rug-burn... :shock:
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Return to Introduce Yourself!