Hello ePlaya!

Hello ePlaya!

Postby euthlogo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am

My name is Tim and 2013 will be my first burn. I made an appearance on the ePlaya a year or so ago when I was learning about Burning Man but now that I am actually going, I figured I might as well introduce myself.

I'm finishing college in NYC right now, but I come from Los Angeles. I love visual, auditory and cognitive stimulus of many kinds and I DJ, VJ, and produce spacey music in my free time. I am here to inadequately prepare myself for this journey and to get to know the community.
<3
<3
euthlogo

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Hello ePlaya!

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:40 am

Welcome
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Tim!

Welcome. :)

Note: We're all grumpier here than on the playa.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am

euthlogo wrote: I am here to inadequately prepare myself for this journey and to get to know the community.
<3

Hello Tim!
Welcome to eplaya!

If you start preparing now, you will most likely NOT be inadequately prepared!
6 months is a long time! Especially if you do a little bit each month!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:56 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby euthlogo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome all! This forum doesn't seem nearly as grumpy as most online forums. The community is just intolerant of ignorance, which I understand. Relative anonymity tends to make people that way.

illy dilly wrote: If you start preparing now, you will most likely NOT be inadequately prepared!
6 months is a long time! Especially if you do a little bit each month!

I have seen this method recommended on this forum a lot in my limited browsing time. It sounds like the bare bones preparation is Tent -> Warm Things -> Shade -> Kitchen but I will want to prepare those things while I'm back home (in L.A.) over the summer. Any littler things I can prepare while I'm still in NYC? Blinky Lights seem small and easy to get ahead of time, and I already have goggles.

Also would you guys recommend trying to find a theme camp ( or just an established camp of some kind ) for my girlfriend and I to stay with? I understand that it's a matter of personal preference, but what do you guys see as the pros and cons of camping en masse vs solo?

(also forgive me if I am trying to squeeze too much info out of my intro thread, there are so many other places I can ask these questions, you guys just seem so welcoming )
<3
euthlogo

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm

welcome!

I'm an anal retentive planner, I've already mapped out what I'm trying to accomplish each month. Plenty of time to prepare still :)

If you stumble across a bunny themed hexayurt this year say hi :)
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby jkisha » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby gaminwench » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi! I'm not grumpy, at all!

I like theme camping, but that's because I have over active hostess genes, and our camp is a far-flung (chosen)family that only meets in the dust.
In our camp, we only take a limited number of virgins (for sacrificial purposes); those are invited and sponsored by the core group, and not expected to do much...
no build/strike, and very few 'shifts' during the event.
This is practical; most new folks will take at least 3 days to acclimate, and tend to get really distracted by shiny blinky unicorns... so counting on them for infrastructure isn't realistic.

That said, my first year (oh, so long ago), I came for 3 days to meet friends who had done nothing to prepare me for BRC.(They said, oh, bring some cooler food and an air mattress, look for the colorful flag near Center Camp... hahahahahahaha!)

It was frustrating, exhilarating and uncomfortable; I knew within 5 hours that I would be back, prepared, and participating.

Just the fact that you're here, on eplaya, bodes well for your preparedness and playa comfort level...
Take it easy your first year; if you decide to join a camp, don't let them work you too hard...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Return to Introduce Yourself!