Hi Burners from Ed from Ireland

Hi Burners from Ed from Ireland

Postby edbrez » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Hey,

Quick hello to all,
Ed from Ireland

First timer, hopefully 2013 if i'm lucky enough to get a ticket this year.
I've followed the festival for years. I love everything Burning Man stands for, it is essentially the core beliefs to a fulfilled life, the gift of giving more of yourself to those around you and building a community of equals, and of course lots of free hugs :-)

I recently went through the unfortunate experience of losing my dad to cancer, it effects us all...the Big C
I have decided if at all possible I intend on making Burning Man my pilgrimage to pay homage to his memory. I was touched by the wonderful stories i've read about the temple and how it has cleansed a lot of people of their burdens. I think if I can make it to Burning Man 2013 it will be something I can look back fondly on, and hopefully replace a very dark 2012 with a new and more inspiring 2013.

If anyone has any advice as to the best way to tackle the logistics of the trip, i'd like to arrive early and participate prior to "kick off" as they say...
Its one of those things, you mention Burning Man to various friends and you get a different reaction to the various variables at play. Its hard to get commitment from people. At this stage I think to truly embrace the event I should just make it to San Fran and play it by ear.
I might be jumping the gun a little since its months away, but for me its a welcome distraction, I really want to leave no stone unturned and be prepared and ready to embrace the whole experience provided I get a ticket of course.

Regards camps, is there a way to get in touch with people prior to Burning Man to see about joining a camp. Least that way I'd know what the theme is, and know what I could provide for or bring to the camp? Hopefully I'll get in touch with some burners in Ireland and can rely on a group prior to travelling but otherwise what's the deal with Camps, is that on arrival at Burning Man or organised prior
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Re: Hi Burners from Ed from Ireland

Postby trilobyte » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi, and welcome to ePlaya! Sorry to hear about your Dad. First thing you'd want to do to prepare is to read through both the survival guide and the first timer's guide, and then from there start reading through what's here on the boards. As for arriving early, you'd need to be a part of a camp or project that needs to be on the playa for advance setup, and be on their early arrivals list (with a pass, etc) - connect with a project and make your plans with them to arrive early and make all that happen. Go read the How to join a camp and how to start a camp threads on the boards, they're filled with good information. Good luck with preparing and connecting with a camp.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Welcome, Ed.

One big thing to think about is how you'd like to camp. Generally the cheapest option is to use a tent and the most expensive, to rent an RV. One option that's in the middle but still quite popular among us eplayans is to rent a box truck (a moving truck) to sleep in. A rental truck is fairly expensive but it won't blow away in the wind! More information on box truck camping at Burning Man here: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=35289

Having a bike is fairly essential on the playa, but as an international traveller, you very well can't just bring a bicycle from home very easily. There's a gentleman who helps international travellers get bikes to Burning Man by the name of Rat. More inf on how (and when) to contact him here: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/travel_info/reno/reno_Bikes.html#.ULqKrK3OcVY

Good luck!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby edbrez » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the Advice,

There is a lot of planning to do, links very helpful, thank you.
I've been reading the First timers survival guide, very informative.
I've camped at various festivals over the years so i'm weather beaten at least :D Mind you being Irish the Sun only graces us here once or twice a year
Plenty of suncrean and shade should sort that, otherwise fried green tomatos

Yeah I was advised a bike is essential, a friend Tomas was at 2012 with a group of 6, had a blast "changed his life forever" to quote his enthusiasm, he gave me a good breakdown of essential Playa items.
Goggles and scarf for sand, Suncrean, Water, Body Paint :D and a shopping list from San fran before arrival in the desert

At the moment I'm reading How to Join a Camp thread... I wish there was an area that kinda described the general vibe of each Theme Camp or village area.
Overall I just want to pull my weight for the camp as a group and get into the spirit of things. Get to know new and interesting people, party into the early hours most nights, and get time to explore the wonders of the Playa in my off time.

Moving Van.... interesting, i'll have to check that out... links will help for both bike and Van option. If I can find a camp, then hopefully that would allow me to contribute a bit more once I know what Theme im going with and link in with someone.

I hear Tech does not like desert conditions, any opinions on DSLRs? I hope to bring one with me, and possibly a polaroid, just for small token when meeting people, thought be cool idea, can date it and write on back little messages or whatever. Will the cameras last the week...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 pm

edbrez wrote:At the moment I'm reading How to Join a Camp thread... I wish there was an area that kinda described the general vibe of each Theme Camp or village area.

There is--sort of. On the main site (burningman.com) there is a list of placed theme camps (by no means all the camps), by year, with short descriptions taken, I believe, from the application that they filled out that year. Many have links to websites that go into more detail. It's a good idea to do your research before asking to join a camp. Also, if something catches your fancy, you can ask here; I'm not sure of the value of the answers you'll get.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:28 pm

edbrez wrote:...
I've been reading the First timers survival guide, very informative. ... Overall I just want to pull my weight for the camp as a group and get into the spirit of things.

That's all that's asked of first timers. Sometimes new people get fussy thinking they have to bring 100 little gifts to share and that they must volunteer 20 shifts over the course of the week. Just come prepared and be yourself!

As for "the general vibe of each Theme Camp or village area," your best bet is to talk with the people from that camp as much as you can. Remember that, depending on camp responsibilities, you're only wedded to the camp and the camp theme so much. Most of your time will be free to keep your own schedule and do as you like.

For example, I decided on my camp (Lamplighters) because I thought they had a cool activity and I read somewhere they're friendly to new folk. It was a great decision for me. So, I recommend you go with a camp whose idea sounds interesting to you, something that makes you excited to take part in. There's a lot to choose from (not every camp is on the list Fishy mentioned above), and don't forget you can always make your own little camp!

Polaroids sounds like a great idea, if they can stand up to the heat.

Plenty of people bring DSLRs to the playa; many cameras, both body and lens, later malfunction. Everything you bring will be coated in dust in short order no matter what you do. The real question is how you view your camera: if you view it as a tool to get great photos and the photos of high value to you, then maybe it's worth the risk that the tool breaks while working to get you those photos. In my mind that's really the best way to do it - otherwise you'll be too worried about the safety of the camera to have it as available as it needs to be.

I'm a photography buff but I didn't bring my DSLR my first year. What surprised me the most was how little I missed having a camera - it was a good chance for me to be in the moment of Burning Man. That said, I wish I'd had a few more photographs of myself captured by others.

One final word of advice, totally unsolicited: do your due diligence when it comes to researching survival at Burning Man, but don't read so much that you build up expectations. It took me years to finally get to Burning Man and in the intervening time I read everything I could on it. That knowledge took a lot of the surprise and wonder out of my first time at the event.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby edbrez » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks Again for all the info...

Yeah I think a little research on right camp and maybe essential reading on surviving in the climate but I do not want to delve too much into other peoples experiences there on the Playa. The fear is I familiarise myself too much with things and miss out on the wonder of the whole experience. I really want my mind to be blown away, at least thats the benchmark anyway, there are ways and means to achieving this :wink: . As long as i'm smiling and in good company I think the right chemistry will exist to make it a very memorable and worthwhile experience.

I did read about the lamplighters, its looks like a reallly cool way to explore Black Rock City. It is a handy way to get involved without complicating things too much either. I think I should keep my mind open to all options at this stage but Lamplighters definitely would be a privelage, let along a great way to connect with people and be part of a key function of the Burning Man festival.

Dslr will be coming I think, even just to have a few hours on a good day to catalogue my experience and have a lasting memory of some of the wonders would make the risks worth it. I hear zip lock bags are a good idea for clothes and stuff, so I think that may offer some protection against the dust. Can pack way the camera when not in use knowing it'll be ok... Polaroid shots hot climate... damn!! forgot that they will more than likely curl up :? I think worth chancing bring the camera either way, invent some solution as the problem presents itself
edbrez

Postby illy dilly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 am

Hey Ed,
Welcome to eplaya!

Its never to early to start prepping for the trip, especially for international travelers.

There are little plastic bags designed for cameras, even DSLRs. Sometime you can find ones specifically for your camera model.
Here is a link for a sort of "Do it yourself" zip lock bag http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby TomServo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am

Hello Ed,
My condolences for your loss. I think you may be going (or planning to go) for all the right reasons. There are respectable burner groups in Ireland, that may help you along the way. Volunteering is the BEST experience you can find at BM! I would suggest the DPW or maybe even the Temple Crew. Best of luck on your journey and hope you make it out there!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby graidawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Ed, let me give you my experience over the 2 years i have been, my first year i was part of barbie death camp with mydearfriend and did as much as i could as part of that camp. i had a blast, taking advice from others who had gone before i did no volunteering. the second year mydearfriend invited her sons and cousins and we made a small camp Dread pirate barbie, part of barbie death camp.
so i can tell you, being part of a theme camp can be awesome it gives you things to do and dsupport for the amazing mind blowing experience of actually being at burning man, especially if you have wanted to be there for so long. having your own smaller camp also is amazing, people come to you and you get to be a host at the amazing thing that is burning man.
whatever you do its going to be just brilliant. bits are going to be rubbish, you will get hot flustered pissed off, lonely, overwhelmed, cultureshocked and when you leave so sad knowing its at least a year before you can do it again. HOWEVER. you will have been to Burning Man, you will have experienced something wonderful even if you never go again it will live in your mind forever (or at least 2 years as far as my experience goes)
I would suggest volounteer for something, one shift, pre-Thursday its so much fun, if you can't make it well at least you tried to do something, they will manage - i did ice my second year and enjoyed it so much i went back the next day and just crashed a shift i wasn't meant to be working. don't volounteer for something that will crash and burn of you aren't there.
if you want advice on anything feel free to pm me or just post here some more.

oh final thought, i belieive London BRC has a fairly strong irish presence
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Hey Ed! :)

It's not too soon to start preparing, especially when coming from overseas.

Here's a good link about photography at Burning Man, including etiquette (very important) and protecting your equipment.
http://www.burningman.com/press/photo_guide.html

I use a rather rugged waterproof digital camera (based on many many positive reviews). It's lasted two Burns so far without getting dust in it (fingers crossed). I'm really careful about where I open the camera and for how long, and I do keep it inside plastic within a belt bag.

There's a regional list for Irish burners:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_ie.html

As well as an all-Europe mailing list:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

And a UK list:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_uk.html

Talking to other locals about their experiences will be really helpful. Many of them will have strategies to recommend and you may find someone to share a box truck, RV or camp with.

Welcome to the board . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks,

"There are little plastic bags designed for cameras, even DSLRs. Sometime you can find ones specifically for your camera model.
Here is a link for a sort of "Do it yourself" zip lock bag http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/

Very helpful
edbrez

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Savannah wrote:Hey Ed! :)

It's not too soon to start preparing, especially when coming from overseas.

Here's a good link about photography at Burning Man, including etiquette (very important) and protecting your equipment.
http://www.burningman.com/press/photo_guide.html

I use a rather rugged waterproof digital camera (based on many many positive reviews). It's lasted two Burns so far without getting dust in it (fingers crossed). I'm really careful about where I open the camera and for how long, and I do keep it inside plastic within a belt bag.

There's a regional list for Irish burners:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_ie.html

As well as an all-Europe mailing list:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

And a UK list:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_uk.html

Talking to other locals about their experiences will be really helpful. Many of them will have strategies to recommend and you may find someone to share a box truck, RV or camp with.

Welcome to the board . . .

Thanks Savannah,

Great source of info here, I have already contacted regionals in Ireland, well i've joined the mailing list.
The Irish link is basic really, i'll just keep my ear to the ground and hopefully i'll get in touch with someone local soon
Thanks for all the info anyway, lots to peruse through :)
edbrez

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm

graidawg wrote: oh final thought, i belieive London BRC has a fairly strong irish presence

Interesting indeed....
I shouldn't be suprised really since most for us are over working in the UK :oops: "they took are jooobs" :lol:

Thanks for advice, I feel I really wanna volunteer first year, its about the community so I think only way to properly participate in the experience is to live by the 10 principles. Lamplighters is a major commitment, but also a major honour so maybe thats what I should apply for first year :?: Dive straight in... I know there are things on at various times that I could potentially miss, but thats part of it really, giving my time without expectations.

I'll keep chatting to people and see what works for them and maybe find a bit of myself in their arguments for one thing or another.
It would be really epic to have the numbers to start a camp, id say it's a whole different experience when people are visiting you as host.

Do you mind me asking, do you do the RV option or how do you make it out to The Playa? What do you find works for you? Box van has been suggested to me, any experience of functionality of these? Can they be modified easily for comfort? I'm thinking Airbed at least, maybe craigslist for furniture etc Saw an interesting post on modifying them... any experience? :?:
edbrez

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 pm

edbrez wrote:
graidawg wrote: oh final thought, i belieive London BRC has a fairly strong irish presence

Interesting indeed....
I shouldn't be suprised really since most for us are over working in the UK :oops: "they took are jooobs" :lol:

I would love to hear "they took our jobs!" in an Irish accent. :D (That episode of South Park slays me.)

Thanks for advice, I feel I really wanna volunteer first year, its about the community so I think only way to properly participate in the experience is to live by the 10 principles. Lamplighters is a major commitment, but also a major honour so maybe thats what I should apply for first year :?: Dive straight in... I know there are things on at various times that I could potentially miss, but thats part of it really, giving my time without expectations.

Actually, Lamplighters is actually about the shortest volunteer commitment you can do without prior planning. :) You don't have to schedule yourself for it at all. On the contrary--if you find yourself feeling really physically and mentally lovely one fine afternoon, get yourself to Rod's Road in Center Camp just before 5pm. They train you right there. You go out on procession with your lamps, and are done several hours later having done your duty; then you get to have a party with your fellow Lamplighters at their lovely bar. The end. :)

I've never been a Lamplighter, but I've been to their bar and it's one of the best on the whole playa. Very welcoming and pretty.

Savannah

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Savannah wrote:
I would love to hear "they took our jobs!" in an Irish accent. :D (That episode of South Park slays me.)

You do not want to hear that... would be totally lost in translation
No actually you'd probably laugh your ass off, and that can be fatal I believe :lol:

Cool, so I can volunteer for an evening with them and also join another camp... brillant!!!

TomServ suggested DPW as an option or Temple crew, I had a very blond moment earlier and asked was that a volunteering group or a camp :oops:

Do you have any suggestions regards camps? I like to cook, I believe i'm a fine wino, salubrious almost :wink: , and I am an early riser
Where do I fit in?
edbrez

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm

edbrez wrote:
Savannah wrote:

You do not want to hear that... would be totally lost in translation
No actually you'd probably laugh your ass off, and that can be fatal I believe :lol:

Cool, so I can volunteer for an evening with them and also join another camp... brillant!!!

TomServ suggested DPW as an option or Temple crew, I had a very blond moment earlier and asked was that a volunteering group or a camp :oops:

That's okay. I didn't even know who DPW was until I'd burned a few times. :shock:

http://www.burningman.com/participate/dpw.html <-- DPW info
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html <-- All Volunteers

But that's just for the sake of education. Over-committing your first year is not recommended, and DPW is a really long time commitment even less suited to first-year international travelers.

(TomServo may have mentioned those two ideas to you because of your overall nature, and what you've been going through.)

Do you have any suggestions regards camps? I like to cook, I believe i'm a fine wino, salubrious almost :wink: , and I am an early riser
Where do I fit in?

Check your messages in a few minutes; I have a recommendation.

Savannah

Postby graidawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

monkey hut. oh and MDF has got me to the playa the last 2 years, I am sure if you look confused someone more capable than me will show a pic of a monkey hut or if you google monkey hut eplaya it will find the thread for you

ok i did it here's one http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=56519

and an image Image
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:00 pm

graidawg wrote:monkey hut. oh and MDF has got me to the playa the last 2 years, I am sure if you look confused someone more capable than me will show a pic of a monkey hut or if you google monkey hut eplaya it will find the thread for you

ok i did it here's one http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=56519

and an image Image

Legend thanks Graidawg

Sorry if I come across as being lazy, I feel like I am cos i'm lost in a sea of information. This site is full of great threads and I read one thing and I've about 20 questions and unfortunately I jump the gun a little and ask... I really appreciate the information I've received from you guys and gals "American twang included for dramatic effect" :D I don't want to awake the snarks just yet although I know i'm destined for a back handed slap to the face for some of my stupidity in questioning. The search function has got me in bother already, not getting info on DPW and Temple crew.

Thanks again
You are bad ass for staying in a monkey hut, pretty exposed to the elements, impressive!!
It is an even cheaper option to Box truck, only thing I'm concerned with is bringing stuff in, so maybe truck still better option for me
i'll have a good bit saved for the experience, if I get accepted to a camp, and get a ticket when they are out, maybe I can organise some supplies and bring with me for camp... I wonder does Guinness travel well? :?
edbrez

Postby edbrez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Savannah wrote:http://www.burningman.com/participate/dpw.html <-- DPW info
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html <-- All Volunteers

But that's just for the sake of education. Over-committing your first year is not recommended, and DPW is a really long time commitment even less suited to first-year international travelers.

Thanks for info, really blown away by friendly vibe on here, thanks :)
Yeah reading about DPW, it is way too big a commitment for the short time I will have, damn real world gets in the way again.
Would love to pack in the job and just commit :x

I think best I can afford to give is time volunteering while during Burning Man, definitely going to give lamplighters a go for a evening at least.
I'll see what else I can do by researching prior to event. I really have only 23rd Aug to 6 Sept to play with offically, maybe a couple days either side if I manage to twist my bosses arm during the year. So DPW is outta the question unfortunately

Thanks Savannah for info
Think it is sign off time 11.32pm here, up at 6am...
edbrez

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Just to clarify, there's a difference between lamplighting for one evening and being a Lamplighting villager. Everything Savannah said is true of walk-up volunteering: come by Lamplighters on Rod's Road/Center camp around 5:00 any day (well, 4pm on burn night, or any other night if you want to party at the bar, as there's a different party theme every afternoon before lamplighting) and we'll train you there on the spot for about 1.5-2 hours worth of volunteering lighting the lamps. It's a fantastic experience. We need ~50+ walk-up volunteers every day to light the city with 800+ lanterns; more if they expand the city layout in 2013.

Being a Lamplighter villager means camping with us smack dab in the middle of the city. Villagers work to light the city every single night without fail, whether directly carrying/lifting lamps during processions or in a support position (kitchen, robe-tending, morning collection of lanterns, etc.). It is definitely a daily commitment, but our camp has great infastructure, amazing placement, communal dinners, no dues apart from donations of food/equipment, and -- most importantly-- a real sense of camaraderie focusing on our mission to bring illumination, navigation, and celebration to Black Rock City. We have a modest contingent of international burners and definitely have support structures in place.

This past BM was my first and I camped with Lamplighters. I was a bit afraid about the commitment but found the work to be the highlight of my day every time. In fact, one afternoon we had so many walk-in volunteers that I was taken off the work crew for that day ("mandatory relaxation") and I was quite bummed.

I encourage you to consider becoming a Lamplighting Villager, Ed. For 2012 there was a waiting list to be a Villager, but if an out-of-the-blue first-timer like me made, you can too :)

BoyScoutGirl

Postby edbrez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks BoyScoutGirl,

That was a very informative post... A spanner in the works :)
I originally felt it was the easiest way to participate and give back to Burning Man and the community, just got fearful of the commitment involved. If you don't mind me asking, how does the shifts work out time commitment wise. I really have the urge to make this journey on my own from Ireland and if I go with that option, definitely lamplighters offers a great way to meet people and dive straight into the whole experience, to be able to give back to the community, and also see most of the city from a very different perspective to most revellers. Did you go on your own? or with a group? Is it possible to swap a shift for a different task if i'm buzzing with people and organise a meet up somewhere?

I have one requirement that concerns me in general and that is showering... I need to be able to shower or wash every day
Is there public amenities? or is that dependant on choosing a camp or village that has facilities. I hate to have to choose based on a shower :(
Everything else I can manage and bring with me, but I can hardly bring a shower unless I go RV route which will be unnecessary if just me :?

What sort of atmosphere does the Lamplighters village have?
edbrez

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm sure BoyScoutGirl can tell you more about Lamplighters specifically, but I can tell you about the rest . . .

There are no truly public amenities involving hygiene, other than portapotties (they're cleaned at least twice per day). There is often a camp called "Human Carcass Wash", but it involves being washed by other people, and then washing someone else. That's probably not for everyone. :)

You wouldn't be the first to rate a camp highly because they have showers, however. Know thyself. What do you truly need? Or "need"? And what do you have to give to a camp who will provide you with that?

If your needs are very specific, don't lie to yourself. Pay a camp fee and get showers, if that's more important than complete autonomy. A camp fee is lots cheaper than an RV. In return, yes--there may be responsibilities. You'll want to research the camps that interest you, and make sure you genuinely like their mission so that the work is not too oppressive. (They'll be able to tell if you're just out for what you need without giving back.) Having a need you can't satisfy yourself does lock you down slightly. Oh, well. :)

RVs and theme camps are not the only ways to shower. Some tent dwellers bathe using solar camp showers and PVC/wood shower structures, and evap ponds. If you fly in, this requires a stop at one of Reno's many hardware stores. Some folks collect and haul out all of their grey water and dispose of it as approved in the Survival Guide. Some use $20 garden sprayers over an evap pond or concrete mixing tub. Spray, soap up, rinse. So little grey water is generated with a garden sprayer that it evaporates quickly, and does not usually have to be pumped or collected. (Not so with showers). You can supplement with baby wipes (in the plastic refill size bag, not the tub. Tubs dry out).

It's a very dry heat out there, and the average person probably doesn't shower every day. Believe it or not, most people don't smell much, however--only like dust and sunscreen (and baby wipes).

Savannah

Postby edbrez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Savannah wrote:
Having a need you can't satisfy yourself does lock you down slightly. Oh, well. :)
:wink: :lol:

It's a very dry heat out there, and the average person probably doesn't shower every day. Believe it or not, most people don't smell much, however--only like dust and sunscreen (and baby wipes).

Savannah I hope I'm coming across right here, i'm not making my decision based on shower facilities, I get it now that I can offer to help out with a clean up or something, help with a camps cooking etc in return for a shower or a wipe down :D

I just like being relatively clean most days... exceptional hugs don't have the same effect when my scent lingers after :P

Baby wipes.... a must for festivals, no where near as satisfying as a cold shower to wake the soul
"Good Morning Vietnam"

I will not choose a camp for facilities, it will be completely for atmosphere and togetherness
edbrez

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:02 pm

I believe you. And I understand your feelings; I am very fond of being clean myself. It's smart to be concerned with what a camp will require of you. Occasionally one hears of camp requirements that are over-the-top. Longer-established camps tend to do better with such things, and run more smoothly. Lamplighters is a long-standing camp; they're probably more than fair. Write them a letter about yourself and what you have to offer. It's not too different from writing a cover letter, just less formal. :)

If BoyScoutGirl doesn't notice you have a question, you could send her a PM.

Savannah

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 pm

It's hard to express what time is like on the playa. One can easily forget what day is; hardly anybody keeps track of the time. You'll set off in one direction, hoping to make it to a drumming circle or art piece or whatever and get distracted three times before you've made it two city blocks. The distractions are the best part of the fun of exploring Black Rock City. It also makes "organizing a meet up" nearly impossible.

In spite of this (or maybe because of it) Lamplighters are much more likely than a typical burner to have a watch on or otherwise be keeping an eye on the time, at least during the afternoon. Apart from morning pick-up crew, we all do our work together during lamplighting hours (about an hour before dusk through twilight). The only time our famous bar is closed is during those lamplighting hours because everybody's working together under our big work tent, the chapel. So while it is possible to switch roles (say, lifter to carrier), almost all of the work is done communally and concurrently. Being a villager means committing to being in the village during lamplighting hours every day, working. It's a magical time, seeing everyone change into their robes and watching row up row of lanterns being lit.

As far as village atmosphere, that's a tricky question for me to answer. We're certainly welcoming to new members. The age range for villagers is particularly broad, though under-21s are noticeably absent. Ways of experiencing the burn are equally diverse: some members are get-up-at-dawn yoga types, some are the I'm-still-dancing-past-dawn raver types, and so on. I guess one way you could express it is that lamplighters are the "work hard, party hard" sort. You're expected to show up for your shift (mostly) sober and of course we're a drug-free camp, but we hold a different party every day. Lamplighting is real work - your arms and shoulders will be sore. My feet were so swollen I had to abandon my boots halfway through the week. I then did my rounds in socks. But then sense of contribution and community was amazing, so I enjoyed every minute of the work.

Like many camps, our village offers a shower stall - you handle your own water for it.

When I joined lamplighters last year, I knew exactly 0 people (well, apart from ePlaya folk). Several other first-year lamplighters were in the same boat; others game in pairs or were friends of long-time members.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby edbrez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Thank you BoyScoutGirl for your detailed post,

It sound like a wonderful vocation... It is a lot of commitment, I think I would love to participate for two or three days over the whole week but not for the whole week. I want to help with the temple guardians as well. I filled up the volunteer questionaire to help while on the playa and offered to do both at various stages over the week. I think I'd like to have the freedom to vary what I help with, that way i'll engage more with people and the overall experience. :)

I think I do fit the description you made of work hard/party hard type so hopefully i'll get to meet a few of yee over the week if I can make it out there :D
Can work hard lamplighting and then burn the midnight oil til dawn :P

Thanks for your info, really helps me get an overall picture of everything
edbrez

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm

BoyScoutGirl, that was an awesome recap.

Savannah

Postby edbrez » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Savannah wrote:BoyScoutGirl, that was an awesome recap.

agreed
edbrez

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Sounds good.

Like Savannah said earlier, one of the best parts of being a one-time lamplighting volunteer is that you can just show up before dusk any day of the week! No need to commit to scheduled shift, just come by if you're feeling it. The invitation stands for everybody!

BoyScoutGirl

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!