New here to prepare for next year

New here to prepare for next year

Postby pomz623 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 pm

I know burning man just ended, so I would like to spend next year preparing to go. I live in New york and Ill be 26 by the time the next burning man will be happening. and have so far only been to one camping festival (Electric Forest in Rothbury, Michigan) Had the time of my life there and always knew about Burning Man. So now I would like to go. my problem is, I don't think any of my friends will be interested and even if they did, would have the cash to go. Not sure how I feel about just joining a random group or finding a person to take the drive with me. I would love to though be able to drive my Jeep across country. Hopefully Ill be able to convince a friend to take the journey with me.
pomz623

Burning Since: 2013

Re: New here to prepare for next year

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Meh. I went by myself my first year, and it was absolutely amazing. Don't be afraid. Just buy the ticket, and take the ride. You'll find friends in about ten seconds flat, and that's a guarantee. Park your car, walk up to your neighbor, say, "Hey, my name is ____ and I was wondering if there was space to camp here?" and watch the instant lifetime friendship unfold.

Read the survival guide, read the eplaya threads that interest you, and ignore videos like "Oh the places you'll go" because Burning Man is entirely what you make of it. If you bring a tent with steel stakes and an EZ-up and expect to get handed free drugs and participate in orgies under the sunset at loud rave parties, you're gonna have a bad time. If you prepare adequately for the sometimes harsh and nasty weather, if you get in the mindset of participating and contributing, and if you are prepared to have both terrible experiences and amazing moments, you're going to have a great time.

Welcome! :D
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby CarrieSnarf » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Welcome! Good for you for planning ahead. I would ask your friends anyway- you might be surprised. Also, try to check out some regionals in your area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_re ... s#New_York)- it's a great way to get your burner feet wet and make burner friends.

Most importantly: read and plan. Read the survival guide. Read the forums here. Be a prepared birgin.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 pm

If you had fun at EFF you'll be blown away by the burn. You'll forget you came alone once you get there as you'll make many friends, but admittedly the long drive would be more fun with friend(s).

love SCI btw
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:14 pm

It's not an easy task to get a group together for the amount of time and expense required for this event. If everyone had to wait for their friends to get it together to go to Burning Man...then no one would show up.

My first Burn I was solo until I hooked up with total strangers thru Craigslist Rideshare. Sure, it can be intimidating what with the logistics, weather and survival issues...but you won't be the first person to face these challenges...nor the last.

So, just buy the ticket and make your own plans to go.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm

pomz623 wrote:I know burning man just ended, so I would like to spend next year preparing to go.

Everyone be advised we have what is likely another Stealth Virgin!

Welcome to eplaya!
Preparing for a year will make your week in the desert 10 times more enjoyable!
Right now the idea of driving super far to go to the desert alone sounds pretty scary... but if you keep preparing for a year, reading different forums around the interwebs, and hopefully hitting up some sort of regional or local Meat'n'greet in your area, in no time at all you'll feel overly prepared and will likely have new friends that you can travel to BRC with!

dragonpilot wrote:If everyone had to wait for their friends to get it together to go to Burning Man...then no one would show up.

This is completely true!
Pomz, if you spend the next year meeting Burners and learning about Burning Man in 1 year you wont be traveling alone!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby pomz623 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:19 pm

cool guys. thanks for the help. youll be seeing me posting around with a lot of questions
pomz623

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 pm

pomz623 wrote:cool guys. thanks for the help. youll be seeing me posting around with a lot of questions

Just be careful to do searches first. We are not kind to people asking about the basics...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jerroc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm going alone I rather prefer it this way. The cost can add up quick doing it on your own. I have considered at times joining a camp or sharing the cost with others in a small camp of our own. If I joined I would like hushville. But that means my generator would have to go and I'm not ready on my solar projects yet. I might consider letting someone occupy my passager seat on the way to BRC. Im sure it will be last minute decision. I know one thing for sure Jeeps suck down the gas and it's a looong way to and from. Might be a good idea to find some one to help with gas. Consider stocking up closer to the event. Food clothes bike etc. It weighs down a car and adds to the fuel consumption.
jerroc

Return to Introduce Yourself!