New guy who's good at overdoing it

New guy who's good at overdoing it

Postby vigilantejustice » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:40 am

Hi everyone,
I've wanted to go to burning man for the better of 10 years... why has it never happened? Many reasons, mostly being lost and unable to plan and having no direction with life to the exact polar opposite! I went to school and got a "real job" and have been unable to go because of work or school or other commitments. My friends who originally had wanted to go with, have already been, and some many times.

So here I am... I am still against all odds, but I've decided to make this work, I had to pull something which I had not been able to before in order to get the time off to be present. The camp I'm going with is a second year group of people I know, but they're from all over and I'm trying to get things figured out.

I understand that part of Burning Man is experiencing the world away from ours, and bringing too many creature comforts and gear may detract from it. I'm a person that plans ahead and I like to be prepared, too prepared. I life a life of serving others, the way that works is you must not have to worry about yourself to help others. I know it sounds a bit like overkill but I'm planning on bringing a travel trailer with enough to sleep more than just myself and I plan on bringing a few barrels of water as I'm sure that others will be short at some point. The main reason I want to bring the trailer is to serve as a way for our camp to cook, clean up and rest out of the wind, a sort of haven for when\if things get too rough.

Anyways, I'm planning way too much on survival and I need to start planning on costumes, a bicycle and lights!!!
vigilantejustice

Burning Since: 2012

Re: New guy who's good at overdoing it

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Nutthin' wrong with over-planning for this event considering the environment within which it takes place. And everyone tries to make themselves as comfortable as possible with the resources they are able to afford...nutthin' wrong with that, either.

Having too many creature comforts will not detract from the event. No one said you have to practice misery. There's no difference between you and someone else getting caught in a whiteout in the deep playa at the same time, except perhaps those who've been there before know what to expect.

I make lists, plan months out, do a test run at our Regional event, refine the lists...right up to the day of departure. If this is you, your travel and camp mates will appreciate your efforts.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby shroom » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:37 am

Have fun! Over planning and creature comforts are fine just make sure you leave camp and explore!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elderberry » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Hey there. Welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Welcome to eplaya! Overdoing it's worked for me!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Eric » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:42 pm

vigilantejustice wrote:I understand that part of Burning Man is experiencing the world away from ours, and bringing too many creature comforts and gear may detract from it.

Bullshit. You'll be so so far outside your mental comfort-zones that those "creature comforts" will come in handy mid-week when you have the inevitable melt-down (which happens to almost everybody, veterans included)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Bring whatever you feel you need to be comfortable. In my opinion, being miserable will take more away from the experience than being too comfortable (though im not sure thats possible)

Ive slept on couches, in tents, and finally in a well equiped RV. Trust me, nothing will make you want to explore the playa than a well rested and well fed body.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:22 am

ranger magnum wrote:Trust me, nothing will make you want to explore the playa than a well rested and well fed body.

Bravo...well said!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Eric wrote:when you have the inevitable melt-down (which happens to almost everybody, veterans included)

so if a meltdown in the default world is running through traffic naked and barking at passing cars, would a meltdown at burning man consist of sitting quietly in a cardigan and khaki dockers while reading the wall street journal?

i just need to know so i can pack an appropriate outfit :D
oops i made a mistake! making mistakes is part of growing up....
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:40 pm

And bring a wall street journal.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi vigilantejustice!

Overdoing it is great . . . in terms of preparation. Being comfortable is not a sin. Prepare for the worst so that you can enjoy yourself properly, and so that no one else has to take care of you at an event where Radical Self-Reliance is a founding principle. :)

If you have a tendency to overdo absolutely everything: remember to drink electrolytes, not just water. Bring a backpack or messenger bag to tote your beverages and sunscreen and hat and goggles, because a person who Overdoes It will no doubt step out for "twenty minutes" and be gone for 12 hours. Remember to eat, and to get some protein at every meal. It's really easy to dehydrate, and then not be able to eat (or keep anything down).

Welcome to the board . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!