UK Birgin here!

UK Birgin here!

Postby Nickeroo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:45 am

I was lucky enough to win a ticket in the lottery.

Right now I am a bit daunted by the idea of trying to turn the ticket into the journey.

I have a friend in SFO who is part of a theme camp (Camp Monkey Business) and she said if nothing else, I can try camp with them. However, she's going early entry so I can't go with 'em to BRC. I'd need a ride, from SF to Reno or maybe I'd fly into Reno and go from there.

Trouble is: I cannot drive! Yes, crazy as its sounds...people like me do exist...so I am concerned that the "Buy everything you need in Reno!" thing will be difficult, let alone getting to the Playa. Sounds like I will basically need a very understanding set of peeps to rideshare and shop with. And then find a camp to hang wth.

Yes, I know that time is a-wasting and I probably should have thought this all out months ago! This sure isn't your average camping trip...(and I've never even been camping...uh-oh....)
Nickeroo

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Monkey Business (unofficial)

Re: UK Birgin here!

Postby disco_duncan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 am

Nickeroo wrote:I was lucky enough to win a ticket in the lottery.

Right now I am a bit daunted by the idea of trying to turn the ticket into the journey.

Hi Nickeroo.

This is my first year too and yes, it is a bit daunting. It is late to start the planning because there is a LOT to do but if you get yourself organised it is achievable. I am not sure that I would like to leave everything until I get to Reno that would be taking quite a chance!

Getting from Reno to BRC should not be a problem. Post your details on the Rideshare section of this site and have a look to see who is offering lifts.

There is quite a group of us going from the UK and we are camping with the Endorphins+Orphans=Endorphins camp. At the moment we have closed the camp for new campers because in addition to the ticketed campers we have quite a large standby list. But keep an eye out as we may open the list later if a lot of those on the standby list do not procure tickets.
Duncan Bee
Warrington, UK.

Burner in 2012 & 2013.
disco_duncan

Camp Name: Endorphins/Orphans=Endorphans

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:04 am

Hi - congrats and welcome to ePlaya! You can do it! Go hit the rideshare board and maybe also a post on the Share Resources board about needing to connect with a ride. Thousands of people who drive through Reno (or fly in and rent a car) also need to get themselves outfitted or stocked up as they pass through town, it won't be as hard to make that happen as you think. Read the Survival and First Timer's guides of course, and get connected with your regional group. Future friends who have experienced some of the same logistical issues you're now facing can make things much easier to work out. Plus of course your friend/campmate in SF. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:04 am

Maybe it's time for Phil to publish his Civilized Explorer link. It's a comprehensive list of stores and resources in Reno. I tend to bring most of my stuff with me from the Bay Area, but that's a six to eight hour drive, traffic willing. This other is a different ball game.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nickeroo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:43 am

dtbee wrote:
This is my first year too and yes, it is a bit daunting. It is late to start the planning because there is a LOT to do but if you get yourself organised it is achievable.

Getting from Reno to BRC should not be a problem. Post your details on the Rideshare section of this site and have a look to see who is offering lifts.

There is quite a group of us going from the UK and we are camping with the Endorphins+Orphans=Endorphins camp. At the moment we have closed the camp for new campers because in addition to the ticketed campers we have quite a large standby list. But keep an eye out as we may open the list later if a lot of those on the standby list do not procure tickets.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am glad that I am not the only one daunted...

I am quite good at getting organised and planning. I am Cap't Contingency Plan, so I am ALSO fearful of bringing way too much. My friend said she brought way too much her first year. BUT, i want to be prepared. I get anxious if not :P

My main concern is: I'd like to find a camp with a meal plan, who I can volunteer for. Food is a worry for me, (not being able to bring any,) but, Reno could help with that perhaps. Sure, it's all about radical self reliance, but having a few folks also being radical self reliant along with me, sure would help.

trilobyte wrote:Hi - congrats and welcome to ePlaya! You can do it! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your encouragement! It REALLY helps. The way my friend describes BM is so amazing, it made me want to go, so I am pretty set on making it happen :D

I hope I can rideshare, share resources and camp with cool peeps. I hope I can expeirence the crazy world of the playa. I know it'll mean a lot to me to experience it....(putting it mildly...)
Nickeroo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Nickeroo wrote:My main concern is: I'd like to find a camp with a meal plan, who I can volunteer for. Food is a worry for me, (not being able to bring any,) but, Reno could help with that perhaps. Sure, it's all about radical self reliance, but having a few folks also being radical self reliant along with me, sure would help.

You may have stepped into one of our recent passionate debates. Many of us would prefer that you joined a camp because you want to camp with those people and that approach, rather than some varient of marrying in order to insure you are fed. I realize that you have logistic challenges, but there are threads on this board that deal with coming a long distance and having to shop in Reno or Salt Lake or wherever. Some of us are quite injured by the idea that there are people essentially running camps that provide meals and other playa perks so that people can fly in and really have nothing on the line and are completely taken care of.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Nickeroo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Ahh, I apologise if I raised some hackles or touched a nerve. I would very much like to find a camp to contribute to, but being a) a newb, finding a camp is a little harder and b) being internationally based, I would guess some of my options are delimited right off the bat.
By accident or design BMorg has set itself up for a big influx of burners. Some see that and react with an idea to make money or to solve a problem and in so doing, might do stuff that might be contrary to the principles or ethos of the Burn...I apologise that I am burning man virgin. We all have to start somewhere, right? Maybe I am not the archetypal burner but I am willing to make the journey, inner and outer, that confronts me. Doing it according to all principles may be harder!
Nickeroo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:35 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Nickeroo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Thanks! I was a good boy and used the search function so, checked out that and a thread where a dude/dudette called lemur had put a startling quantity of stuff into only two bags. That helped inspire me A LOT!
Nickeroo

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Ah yes, Lemur's infamous & meticulous suitcases! (He is a dude--& more importantly, a Lamplighter!)

After you read Fishy's thread, poke around that same 2012 Theme Camps forum. Make sure you're attracted to the camps to which you apply. They will expect you to work a bit & pay a fee, so it's important to pick one that jives with you so that you feel good and productive and inspired out there, even while you are serving food or washing dishes or helping cleaning up a bar for an hour or two before you go out & have fun for the day. Theme camps are not there to take care of you; they're there to offer an experience to the city . . . and you can enjoy being part of that, and receive some support in exchange. I would daresay the most important things to have (other than water, of course) is shelter. You're going to want to bring or buy a tent, but good shade can be the hardest to handle all by yourself, economically and logistically, if you are flying in. So look for camps you truly like, and if shade is not something you're flawless at, seek to have that need met first.

You can buy almost anything you want in Reno. (But bring your goggles, a warm coat, and comfortable footwear from home. Don't pack the coat, use it as a blanket or a cushion on the plane. A tent without too much mesh, or covered mesh, is another good thing to bring from home but not everyone can.) There will be enough food in Reno; they love Burner money. Check out the Food & Drink forum here to see what various people do to eat. You can be very simple and never cook anything if you want. (I stubbornly refuse to cook out there. :) It's all vacuum-sealed, chilled, canned, dried, or fresh out there for me.) Everyone does it a little differently.

Welcome to the board, Nickeroo!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!