Lucky virgin from overseas waves you a big hello

Lucky virgin from overseas waves you a big hello

Postby trinfinity » Mon May 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Burners from all over the world,

I am a Bavarian girl living in Switzerland at the moment. As spontaneous I ended up in Switzerland I was very lucky to get this ticket. I like these kind of things, not being blue eyed, but sometimes active without knowing where it leads to.

So, I am really looking forward to Burning Man and honestly I have no idea what really to expect. I guess that is not possible anyways without having experienced it. Jokes on that are welcome .
As I also like to do some handy craft things like drilling, sewing, painting and so on I really would like to participate in a theme camp, where I can help creating something new. But I don’t know how easy this is being overseas.

I am very curious, if I will find a new home on the playa.

Happy to read from you, have a nice day
Yasmina
trinfinity

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Lucky virgin from overseas waves you a big hello

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon May 21, 2012 1:54 pm

Jumping into the event without knowing much about it is older than eplaya. However, there are suvival requirements.
If you read nothing else read the survival guide, and the first timers guide.
Coming from Europe will mean that you'll have to a) pay huge fees to carry all the luggage needed, b) have to spend money in Reno (or wherever you land) buying necessities, c) join forces with a camp that can manage some of logistics ahead of time without you, d) all of the above or e) something else that surprizes me.
Three months is plenty of time to do that, but don't dilly dally.
This site can be a resource for all those things. Okay, we won't pay for your luggage or gear, but we do know some of the ways to make it less expensive.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Trinfinity!

Lots of camps like people from Europe. Many people don't actually meet up with a camp until they're on the playa. Check out . . .

2012 Theme Camps forum
viewforum.php?f=283

What it's like to fly in and buy supplies in Reno (San Francisco or Las Vegas are other decent cities for this, but Reno is the closest):

Cost and Logistics of Flying Into Reno
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=52826&start=0

Talk to other Burners from Switzerland and see how they do it:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_ch.html

If there's not enough activity on the Swiss email list, join the all-Europe group:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trinfinity » Mon May 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Cryptofishist, thank you for all the prompt advice.

It is sad that you wont pay for my luggage, maybe you wanna carry it for me ;-) No just kidding.

I might have forgotten to say, I am not just jumping into the event, hopefully. I know some friends having been there, and they are giving me advice and hints, unfortunately they cannot go this year.
Still I cannot imagine what it is expecting me and this is what I am really looking forward to being on my own, get to know a lot of people, help, being helped and enjoy a week probalby full of dventure. I also think the experiences will be different for everybody every year.

I am also aware that it is not only art and music, but also dust, storms and bad weather conditions, which until now I have not yet expected in the desert, but as I am also sailing, I might have an idea about it or at least I have great respect of this.

A lot of waving
Yasmina
trinfinity

Postby Drawingablank » Mon May 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:45 pm

Welcome....have fun. Leave your Swiss watch at home.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Lowz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:33 am

Overseas virgin are the best, I can tell, I've been one.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby trinfinity » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:57 am

bluesbob wrote:Welcome....have fun. Leave your Swiss watch at home.

thanks, Bluesbob, well do you think I will not need my watch? ;-)
trinfinity

Postby trinfinity » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 am

Lowz wrote:Overseas virgin are the best, I can tell, I've been one.

:lol: , where are you from?
trinfinity

Postby MoBo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:59 am

Trinfinity,

Too bad you weren't doing this last year. My post this other subject was about adopting a Virgin Burner from Zurich.

I feel I should share my experience:

In 2010 I was unable to make it HOME. The weekend before the gates were to open I was on a flight from Amsterdam to SFO. I was surprised that there were at least a dozen people that I was able to easily identify on my flight that were surely bound for the playa. This got me thinking. As a burner from California who can drive to the playa I have it easy. I can bring a ton of stuff from home that I'll need to survive and participate in that thing in the desert, and then bring it all back to my default "home" to store it til next year.
What about those people coming from another Continent? Unless they have friends here they will need to buy nearly everything they'll need after arriving. Not much chance that a tent or bike or cooler will make it back home with them, what with the luggage restrictions on airlines these days.

So for 2011, I googled "euro burner" and found a board and mailing list (playadust) which catered to Europeans interested in Burning Man.

I posted the following message in April 2011:

We are a couple of California Burners. We would like to extend the following offer to a Euro first timer...

If you or someone you know is thinking about going to BRC for the first time and finding the logistics a little daunting, we hope the following may tip the scales in favor of going.

We will...
Pick you up from San Francisco Airport or Reno Airport
Drive you and your stuff to the Playa
Provide you with the following gear
Tent
Sleeping Bag(s)
Camping Chair(s)
One (Possibly two) crappy bicycle(s)
Camp Stove

Pretty much all the basics for a first Burn.
You would still need to purchase a ticket to the event, and make your way to Northern Cal. We have a large truck that seats 4 somewhat comfortably and we look on this as a gifting opportunity. We will stop off on the way so you can stock up on water, food and such.

We are still sorting out our details (It is possible we will get with a Theme Camp with a large community Generator, so you may have 110v AC as well). Currently it is our plan to leave Santa Clara, California on Sunday Morning and stay on-playa thru Monday.

If this sounds like it would work for you, or if you have any questions, please drop us a line.

-Mobo

Surprisingly we got several responses from veterans saying they thought the post was cool, but no responses for a few weeks (except from a very cool sounding couple form the UK who were returning burners - but we were specifically looking for a virgin(s) since they would be facing the chalanges of Playa for the first time).

Then all at once we got three virgin responders. I intended to go with the first qualified response rather than hold a popularity contest and so we went with the first one. We began to correspond and answer questions and firm up our plans. It was quite a thrill to pull up to the meeting spot in the bay area and finally be face to face with our new friend. The long drive was made shorter as we had so much to talk about.

I cannot overstate what a treat it was to watch the entire Silicon Village camp come together to welcome and totally befriend our adoptee. He is now a returning member of our small tribe. I have read the horror stories of Sparkle Ponies and LE magnets that were adopted by others and want to make it clear that it is possible to have a PERFECT adopt a virgin experience.

Were we a little nervous? Sure. But also excited. And in the end It was all worth it. I will probably repeat the whole thing in 2013. Maybe select a different Continent this time.

-MoBo
This signature left intentionally blank.
This signature left intentionally blank.
MoBo

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Somewhere

Postby bluesbob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 pm

trinfinity wrote:
bluesbob wrote:Welcome....have fun. Leave your Swiss watch at home.

thanks, Bluesbob, well do you think I will not need my watch? ;-)

I've needed to know the time when I have a commitment as a volunteer, but other than that time is irrelevent. Daytime, nighttime, they seem to be the only times anyone really knows anyways..
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Lowz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm

trinfinity wrote:
Lowz wrote:Overseas virgin are the best, I can tell, I've been one.

:lol: , where are you from?

France but it matters only if you want it?
We're all xeno degenerate trying to invade this american thing ..
Lowz

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 am

Lowz wrote:We're all xeno degenerate trying to invade this american thing ..

Yeah, but paradoxically, you can only get 50% closer each year than you did the year before.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Lowz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:
Lowz wrote:We're all xeno degenerate trying to invade this american thing ..

Yeah, but paradoxically, you can only get 50% closer each year than you did the year before.

You found my weak heel, but as soon as it's will be cure, i'll prove you're wrong simply by walking ..in the dust (inb4 "you're so cynical")
Lowz

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Welcome Trinfinity to ePlaya, & rock it out in the .:d u s t:. this year --1st times are the best times (and every time if it's out in the desert :D Be well & enjoy!!
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby trinfinity » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:11 pm

CLARKcon wrote:Welcome Trinfinity to ePlaya, & rock it out in the .:d u s t:. this year --1st times are the best times (and every time if it's out in the desert :D Be well & enjoy!!

thanks CLARKcon I will do my best :-)
trinfinity

Return to Introduce Yourself!