Dear Newbies, Noobs, New People, et. al.,

Dear Newbies, Noobs, New People, et. al.,

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 am

I realize there's a lot of new people on the board, and I see some of them getting their feelings hurt by our particular brand of jocularity.

The reason we give each other such a hard time IMHO is because there's a level of camaraderie and trust among many burners that if you are willing to go to the desert and be radically self reliant, you can take some good ribbing.

Sorry, but it's not all rainbows and unicorns out there. We are subsequently a little crusty, sometimes crass, and occasionally harsh. Guess what? So's the Playa.

A lot of people will tell you, there's a big difference between the community you see on ePlaya and that which is out in the dessert. There's a whole lotta likeness too.

So be advised. If you shun us forever we will imply a shrug and say, "what's with that one?" We might discuss you some more, and it might even seem relentless at times. But guess what? So is a 7 hour dust storm. But chances are you'll come out of that a little weathered, but stronger in the knowledge that you can get through the grit.

That is all.

-Clarity
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Dear Newbies, Noobs, New People, et. al.,

Postby junglesmacks » Sat May 19, 2012 8:20 am

Burning Man 2012: Drugs, not hugs.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 am

fuck yer hugs
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby graidawg » Sat May 19, 2012 9:04 am

I think this year the veterans are being a lot more vicious and snarky than last year, sure i took my ribbing in the beginning but nobody tried to tell me it was necessary, when my feelings got hurt they made a point of reminding me that it wasnt personal. I reckon it because a lot of people are feeling pain from this years ticket crisis. Well i seem to recall reading that every year the population of Bm is about 50% virgins anyway, so perhaps instead of trying to justify being mean or nasty or snarky and trying to dress it up as jocularity look at why you are being so.
I've only been around 15 months or so on here and when i had a little crisis and vented my spleen on here i got instant support, is that because i am known to y'all?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby shykat » Sat May 19, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah, you have to have some thick skin and not be sensitive on the playa. There are many people yelling things at you from there camp that are rude and mean (and funny).

People will fuck with you big time,give you bad directions,bad advise. If you can't take it or if you're to sensitive, you're going have a rough time out there.

My first year i had no clue and was a little shocked (scared). I now love it and would miss it,if the event or Eplaya became some lovefest,i believe i would move on.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 19, 2012 9:48 am

graidawg wrote:I think this year the veterans are being a lot more vicious and snarky than last year, sure i took my ribbing in the beginning but nobody tried to tell me it was necessary, when my feelings got hurt they made a point of reminding me that it wasnt personal. I reckon it because a lot of people are feeling pain from this years ticket crisis. Well i seem to recall reading that every year the population of Bm is about 50% virgins anyway, so perhaps instead of trying to justify being mean or nasty or snarky and trying to dress it up as jocularity look at why you are being so.
I've only been around 15 months or so on here and when i had a little crisis and vented my spleen on here i got instant support, is that because i am known to y'all?

Maybe its more akin to dogs and bees. We smell fear and bullshit.
Clar-i-ty

Postby graidawg » Sat May 19, 2012 9:51 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:
graidawg wrote:I think this year the veterans are being a lot more vicious and snarky than last year, sure i took my ribbing in the beginning but nobody tried to tell me it was necessary, when my feelings got hurt they made a point of reminding me that it wasnt personal. I reckon it because a lot of people are feeling pain from this years ticket crisis. Well i seem to recall reading that every year the population of Bm is about 50% virgins anyway, so perhaps instead of trying to justify being mean or nasty or snarky and trying to dress it up as jocularity look at why you are being so.

Maybe its more akin to dogs and bees. We smell fear and bullshit.

that i can live with, some of the newbies here do have a certain . aroma . just some mind you
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby 5280MeV » Sat May 19, 2012 9:56 am

I think people just need to realize that when you hit a self-expression zone, you are going to hear what people think, along with all sorts of other random distractions.

Same is true on the playa. You don't get to decide what the next thing is that you will see or hear. You can only get relief from things you find displeasing in the most extreme cases, such as lasers in the eye, 120 decibel sound system that refuses to go away from your tent, or some obvious and persistent harassment despite numerous requests to be left alone.

If someone posts an idea on a free-expression public message board that someone else doesn't like, well then I guess that a rant will be a comin'. Not much anyone can do about that but put some popcorn in the microwave.

Plus you can always plonk people you don't like. It is a service not available on the real playa. Hell, BBadger actually advertises how to plonk him on every post. It is single click plonking, or "Plug and Plonk".

Assholes.
5280MeV

Postby Elderberry » Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 am

This thread brought one newbie to mind...TatooGoddess. Had she given up and left the board after comments on some of her first posts, it would have been a loss for both the eplaya and the playa.

Though I doubt there are any statistics on this, I would venture to guess that anyone that can't put up with what goes on on eplaya won't be able to cope very well when they hit the playa either.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dragonpilot » Sat May 19, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm still here...and I'm the most sensitive one of all of ya's...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Nipple » Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 pm

I like to hug.

It makes it easy to assess tenderness and such, should I need to eat you.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sat May 19, 2012 4:36 pm

For any new members reading this thread, I'm just going to point out our new (and growing) Overview of the ePlaya, which will give you some idea of the culture here and how to make entry into it easier.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat May 19, 2012 4:48 pm

dont listen to Eric. he's a Problem Clown and part of the Clown Problem...

GOOGLE IT! if you don't believe me...
Rated East Coast Fucko, this by no means represents BM or its org...its just some crotchety old fuck

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat May 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Eric wrote:For any new members reading this thread, I'm just going to point out our new (and growing) Overview of the ePlaya, which will give you some idea of the culture here and how to make entry into it easier.

Clar-i-ty

Postby graidawg » Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 am

oh, they get it easy now we are over subscribed we stop trying to scare them off?
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Elderberry » Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:dont listen to Eric. he's a Problem Clown and part of the Clown Problem...

That's funny. He comes up as the NUMBER ONE problem clown!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Sun May 20, 2012 3:05 pm

jkisha wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:dont listen to Eric. he's a Problem Clown and part of the Clown Problem...

That's funny. He comes up as the NUMBER ONE problem clown!

Excuse me, the #1 and #2 problem clowns, thankyouverymuch!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun May 20, 2012 3:12 pm

I heard that Eric is so successful at being a #1 problem clown, that a gang of problem clowns have put him on the hit list, so they can take his place.

Eric, watch your back...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Introduce Yourself!