From Canada

From Canada

Postby Linguist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Hello!

I'm Jasmine. My partner, Amber, and I got tickets and are super excited and scared and excited and willing and excited and nervous and excited to come to BM this year!
We're coming from Toronto, ON Canada with two other friends or more and have already begun planning. It's our first burn.

There are a lot of questions, a lot of guesswork, but Amber and I are reading up everyday and talking to those who have been before.

I would be happy to take suggestions for camps, how on earth to get our bikes there if we're flying to SF then renting a car... it's a bit overwhelming, but one day at a time... a few dollars a day...

Linguist

Re: From Canada

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Be afraid, very afraid.
Marscrumbs

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Rice » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Linguist wrote:Hello!

I'm Jasmine. My partner, Amber, and I got tickets and are super excited and scared and excited and willing and excited and nervous and excited to come to BM this year!
We're coming from Toronto, ON Canada with two other friends or more and have already begun planning. It's our first burn.

There are a lot of questions, a lot of guesswork, but Amber and I are reading up everyday and talking to those who have been before.

I would be happy to take suggestions for camps, how on earth to get our bikes there if we're flying to SF then renting a car... it's a bit overwhelming, but one day at a time... a few dollars a day...

Hi, Welcome to ePlaya!!

There is a pretty large burner community in TO. Here is a link to the Ontario Regional reps: http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_ont.html I believe there should be a Ottawa and Toronto group...

I live in Saskatchewan and drive down to BRC my first 3 years. The last two I have flown to San Francisco. It is quicker to fly by a huge margin, but the disadvantage is simply that you cannot bring all the gear you need on the plane. Make sure to check your airline(s) website to find out what is and is not allowed on the plane. Some camping gear is ok, but a stove is not (well a new stove is ok, but not a used one)...

I think there are several places in Reno that one can rent a bike from. Last burn I picked up a decent bike for about $100 and was able to store it at a friends place in San Fran.

Good luck!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Jasmine & Amber! It's normal to be excited and scared--I sure was before my first burn. Reading everything and having a great attitude and no expectations went a long way for me.

See the Bikes listings midway down this Downtown Reno page (rentals are nice, 'cause then you have a place to drop them off later):
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... ntown.html

Don't forget to pick up bike locks, and use them every time. Bikes wander off, most often under tired drunken people, who abandon them later and they end up littering the playa. The bikes, not the drunks. (Actually, the drunks sometimes litter the playa too.) Locking bikes--even to themselves--is often sufficient far from camp, if you don't see a bike stand or other hospitable item.

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby marcgorcey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 am

Welcome !

Join the BurnT - Toronto regional - facebook group for more info on our activities.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/94278462150/

Drinks night is tonight from 630 pm at The Caledonian ! See the fb group for more details.
marcgorcey

Postby remi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 am

Hello fellow Canadian. I hail from Calgary. Welcome to eplaya.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby dangerous » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 am

hi Jasmine and Amber,

my friend and i are driving out from toronto. maybe there will be others with room for your bikes?

sage_

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Return to Introduce Yourself!