Los Angeles Virgin, Burner by Proxy

Los Angeles Virgin, Burner by Proxy

Postby Minor Tom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 am

Many years, and many tickets, have come and gone, and I've finally decided to throw in my lot in what by all outward appraisals is the most dramatic, contentious and interesting Burn in history. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I suspect my participation is what sparked this madness, as chaos & destruction seem to follow me like a demented fairy.

If you're reading this, help and advice appreciated. My friends (some very dear) all throw in on their community bus and make camp,together, as they have for a few years. I've followed their exploits, packed their bus, watched the live feeds and, generally, Burned by Proxy. Now it's time I row the boat, too, and join in mud/dust. My question/quandary/query: does one take that bus & camp? Or does one set a new path? Does one choose the comfort and companionship of familiarity and friendship? Or does one have their "own" Burn, investing in a new ideal/path/adventure?

I'm genuinely curious. Since it's to be my first time, the natural inclination is to choose familiar faces, and be lead, guided by steady hands. But as a longtime practitioner of radical self-expression, determined free will and aggressive independence, is it in keeping with my truth to be "protected" by another's experience?

In other words, does it much matter, do I Burn either way, and just go, contribute, dance, leave no trace and return?

Lastly, I'm worried a bit about sleeping. If I don't sleep, I can fall ill. If I choose a more solitary spot on the playa, something a little removed, am I cutting myself off? I have to be able to sleep!

Thanks, travelers!
Minor Tom

Re: Los Angeles Virgin, Burner by Proxy

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Earplugs and a sleep mask will be key for you I think. I also take 1/2 an ambien to get to sleep. I too am a wreck without sleep.

No one can really answer your question on what is best for you. Keep in mind however that even though you might camp with your friends does not mean you are joined at the hip all week. You can use the camp as home base and just take off.

Also, are you sure your friends want you to camp with them? I mean, with your proven history of destruction and all, they might want you on like 10:00 and Z or something. :wink: :lol:

Welcome to the crazy times on Eplaya! Really, it can be a way cool place to hang out. Don't let the current craziness get to you.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Minor Tom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:50 pm

ear plugs, mask, ambien: CHECK
Minor Tom

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi Minor Tom! Good questions. Tamarakay gave you some really good advice. You need not follow your friends all week by any means. In 2008 and 2009 I attended with a good friend of mine, and we roamed together one night (all night!) each of those years, but the rest of the time we did our own thing . . . although we frequently ate at the same time on a daily basis, and so shared the details of our various adventures as we did so.

So if you get along really well with these folks and they welcome you, I'd advise you to go with them . . . but tell them ahead of time that both for your sake and theirs, you're happy to let independence--radical self reliance!--reign, once you've helped set up camp.

Re noise: Ask them about their tolerance for it, where they plan to camp, and in general how they feel about camping near the Sound Camps . The loudest camps are near the Esplanade (the center) and near 2 to 3 o'clock on the map, and 9 to 10 clock, and in/adjacent to the marked Theme Camp areas. It's . . . kind of a noisy city. The quietest places are towards the outside streets, or in Walk-In Camping (which is extremely quiet, but probably not right for one's first time, as you don't know what you're getting into). But other than those places, you're going to get some noise.

The best earplugs for a light sleeper are the white silicone plugs sold in pharmacies. They're large, so I typically take one and tear it in half to make two. They seal out quite a bit, but it's a weird sensation, so I highly recommend trying them at home first.

Finally, unless you're sleeping inside an RV, the light may wake you up at 6:15 (hence the sleeping mask) and the heat will become noticeable in a tent by 7:30/8:00am unless the tent is well-shaded (which might buy you an hour or two), so keep that in mind when you choose a bedtime. On the upside: you can dance all day, so there's no weakness about hitting the hay at 1:00am if you began partying at dinnertime. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Minor Tom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:34 am

Savannah thank you SO MUCH for these good words. I think I've got the message, it went deep. Soon are the days upon us, where I fully commit to a camp and take my first roll in the dirt. I think I've just got to let go of these blocks and let the Burn in. I'm going to be fine, I know that.
Minor Tom

Return to Introduce Yourself!