Me

Me

Postby Eldon McMullen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm a many times Grandfather. I was a hippy in the 60s. Ive always wanted to go to Burning Man. This year my oldest son and his wife bought me a ticket. I would like to come early and help. I'm a jack of all trades and very skilled in some. I'm a welder machinest and have my own shop. Its small but well equiped. I can fix almost anything and will be prepaired to do that. I go by Mac
Eldon McMullen

Re: Me

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:04 pm

You're almost certainly not going to get early entry. Unless you make yourself indispensable to an art project or theme camp. But early entry passes are rare, and given to known hard workers. First year out, you're not going to have the kind of track record that gets you a pass.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Mac! :D

Welcome. What Fishy said about it being difficult to enter early is true. Experienced volunteers sometimes have early entry (but usually not first-timers) or hardworking types who work on a theme camp Build prior to the playa, and are given early entry by a camp leader.

You can sign up for local mailing lists here, maybe meet some local camps near you whose build you can work on:
http://regionals.burningman.com/na_index.html

You can sign up to volunteer via this link, but it can be overwhelming the first year; best to pick something you would like even if there is no advantage beyond satisfaction, and start with just 1 or 2 shifts and maybe add another at the event if you're happy.
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

No matter when you arrive, there will no doubt be someone in need of your skills whether you are solo or in a group, and repairs are an amazing gift out there. (Some of friends of mine do this during hours of their choosing, and never lack for business). You can have "office hours" and hang out a sign, or keep it informal & introduce yourself to your neighbors as a handy guy in times of need. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Anubis is looking for people who know who to do construction, for both Pre-playa and on playa build. There will be more showing up on the theme camp and art threads looking for help. Look into the regional groups in your area. A great way to get to know people around you and to get in on some work.

I'm a many time grandmother! Two grandsons, three granddaughters, and another grandson due in May.

Welcome to Eplaya!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jella » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Welcome Eldon. Savannah is spot on as usuall with the links. Getting ready for burning man is half the fun.. and getting involved with local burners and their projects is your best chance at early entry
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Eldon McMullen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm

I thank you all for your friendly repartee. I live in a small community half way between Eugene and Medford Oregon. I will try to get involved with anything that is going down here. but I have my doubts. However I have a ticket and if nothing else I will arrive and play it by ear. That's the way I've lived most of my life anyway and it always works. I'le see you at the burn. Mac
Eldon McMullen

Postby ragabashpup » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Eldon there are quite a few burners in your area. All up and down the coast we have little burner pockets.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Return to Introduce Yourself!