Hello from...LAOS! (Passport says I'm Austrian?)

Hello from...LAOS! (Passport says I'm Austrian?)

Postby Cyprexx » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Hello everyone!

Stefano here, 24, originally from Austria but been living abroad for almost 14 years now. Global nomad so to speak :) So happy to introduce myself and become part of this incredible community and I'm looking forward to meet all Burners this year!

Graduated Uni/finished work last year in London and started a looong trip around the world last September. Planned on returning back 'home' in April but once I had the idea of going to Burning Man and become part of the community I decided to extend my travels till coming September.

Burning Man for me is so much more than a simple gathering of like-minded people who come together to share this magical experience of self expression, art, music, being put in extreme conditions and sharing the love of life. It's a lifestyle and mentality people have towards life and others around them. It's an attitude towards our home we call earth, mother nature and everything around us. It's how we treat each other in this highly complex and confusing world we live in. In the end, we give sense to everything we do and love each and every individual during our short time on our lovely planet because we are strangers who are not strangers. Regardless whether people go to Burning Man or not, it's a feeling in your heart you should have during the other 51 weeks of the year too. For me personally, Burning Man 2012 will mark and end/start a very important chapter in my life. It will mark the end of my travels, a safe return back home and exciting times/adventures for the near future :)

I've been collecting little gifts from all the places I've been and my backpack is getting heavier and heavier, but all gifts will find their future owners and it will all make sense once I starts giving to everyone I see. They will have come from very far places and my back will be a bitch to me for carrying them around for... another 6 months... but it will be worth every smile I (hopefully) get :)

Fun, easy, chilled out, open-minded, hedonistic and up for anything, I hope I can give as much as I can during Burning Man this year as a full on participant and part-time spectator. I might have a slight problem with bringing in art installations or super duper fancy costumes (living out of a backpack and moving around makes it quite a challenge) but nevertheless I have a feeling that each Burner will kick ass big time during the gathering.

I would love to be part of a camp and will soon engage in the camps forum, but if you are a camp leader and looking for a slightly nuts and full-of-energy packed freak, shout out any time. Champ behind the bar (not really, just pretending, but those are the most fun ones, right? ;)), DJ (dub-techno, electro and all things harrrdcore/tek), juggler and good story teller, I'm sure I'll find may role at the Playa. And if not, it'll be a one-man-show/camp sharing the love with everyone.

Alrighty, I hope I somehow managed to give a good representation of who I am and how I think and how I want to participate in this amazing event. If anyone is interested in my travels and wants to know more about who I am, feel free to check my blog at http://www.chasing-dreams.net. If reading stories from a person you don't know isn't your thing, check the pics :)

Love life everyone!

x
Austria-> India-> Thailand-> Laos-> Cambodia-> Indonesia-> Australia-> Burning Man-> Taking the long way home :)

http://www.chasing-dreams.net
Cyprexx

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Hello from...LAOS! (Passport says I'm Austrian?)

Postby dangerous » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 pm

welcome Stefano,

stories like yours leave me in awe of youth and give me reason to find the one i lost; cheers!

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Cyprexx » Wed May 30, 2012 2:10 am

Not in Laos anymore but in Bali and soon heading further east to Oz and then Black Rock Cityyyyy :)

Planning while traveling is quite a bitch, that's for sure. Not able to attend regionals, BM meetings and events, and in general, not having enough time to interact with the lovely community. Still, I'm constantly Facebooking, PM'ing camps, checking rideshares, trying to prepare as much as I can... all from my crappy little laptop and an internet connection my granny wouldnt even use haha.

Just a quick question about ride shares: is it normal that ALL ride shares are Looking For Rides, or will ride offers come when the festival gets closer? Seems like there are no shuttle busses (Green Tortoise offers 1k USD BM packages, wtf?! but no regular bus services from SF?) and renting my own car is not just a waste of money, but more importantly, a waste of energy and bad for mother earth.

Aaaanyway, will keep you guys posted on my adventures of "Organizing a Burn while living out of a backpack" experience :) Oh, and any help is, as always, highly appreciated :)
Austria-> India-> Thailand-> Laos-> Cambodia-> Indonesia-> Australia-> Burning Man-> Taking the long way home :)

http://www.chasing-dreams.net
Cyprexx

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 30, 2012 11:08 am

Transporting people to the playa for one week (well a little more than one week with set up and take down) of the year is not a good business model. Especially as it requires permits. The Green Tortoise rides include a camp and many people find it quite reasonable. Rent a car--you might want to do that now, things will only get tighter as we get closer to gate opening. Burningman happens during a regular holiday, so we are not the only ones renting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed May 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Yep, Green Tortoise includes food, water, group shade, and transportation from SF. The price is not so unreasonable (to me) when I take into account what my shade structure cost. ( Some packages included a ticket as well, but they might all be sold by now.)

Ride offers will be more prevalent as the event gets closer. A lot of rideshares are informal, and occur in the Reno Airport at the rideshare desk near the baggage carousel (but I would schedule a rideshare, if at all possible).

Welcome to the board, Cyprexx. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Alstoning » Thu May 31, 2012 1:02 am

Burningman happens during a regular holiday, so we are not the only ones renting.

:D
Alstoning

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: dhdh

Postby bluesbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Welcome to the jungles of the playa.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Return to Introduce Yourself!