Hello There

Hello There

Postby Stephendragonfly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:41 am

Hello Everybody and anyone else I may have missed,
My name is Stephendragonfly. It seems like I have been dancing around Burning Man for years, I know quite a few burners, have been offered free tickets, but I haven't yet made it to the playa. I first learned of Burning Man back in 1996 when my friend went and sold her soul at Helco. Anyway, I am hoping that this will be the year I finally get to go, but with the high price of tickets, I am unsure. The various boards I have read indicate that people are pretty frustrated with the handling of ticket sales this year. I hope that negativity doesn't end up at the event. Overall, the people I know who have been going to this thing have been the most creative and optimistic people anywhere. That's all for now. Will talk yer ears off again soon.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Re: Hello There

Postby Kevinochi » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 am

*thump*

that's the sound of me passing out after I read you said no to free tickets :shock:

But it seems you have finally come to your senses. All is forgiven my child. Welcome to the ePlaya!

As you'll soon find out this place is filled with kind hearted colorful people. Start yapping away. My ears are ready.
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby jkisha » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:34 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby tamarakay » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:49 am

Hello! People are scared and feelings are raw at the moment. On the real playa you don't have time or energy to waste on negativity. Hope it works out so you can attend.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Stephendragonfly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Kevinochi,
I have heard that thump before. I have turned down gift tickets, twice, for the simple reason that there was now way I could attend either of those years. For a couple of years I had a job where my boss went to the Philippines for her annual family reunion guess which two weeks each years. Anyway I am one of the unemployed now and it looks like I will be doing the Temporary Employee Shuffle Step for a while. Not much security, but it means I can take time off when I want to, like, say the week leading up to Labor day.
Tamarakay,
Yep, that is pretty much what I figured. I just hope the some of the long time burners don't throw in the towel. I understand that putting up incredible art takes time, planning, and resources, and that the uncertainty of getting a ticket which used to be a sure thing has really thrown a gorilla wrench in. I also think that if the Borg can get their stuff together, this will only be a temporary setback.

One of the reasons I want to go to Burning Man is to contribute to an art project and learn what it takes to set one up. If I knew how to do it, I would be trying to set up a project to increase the awareness of how people in the rest of the world are doing, say a Haiti Earthquake Camp or a African Farm Drought Camp. When you think about how most of the humans on the planet live as compared to US, some of the frustrated comments on the board suddenly seem very trivial.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Stephendragonfly! :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Stephendragonfly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi Savannah :D
Stephendragonfly

Return to Introduce Yourself!