Thoughts from a Noob.

Thoughts from a Noob.

Postby DJ Euphoria » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:02 pm

This will be my very first year attending Burning Man and it will be a solo pilgrimage from Florida to Black Rock.

I realized today that the experience or Burning Man is not limited to what happens at Burning Man. The experience of Burning man begins well before the event. The experience even begins before you fully commit to going to the event. The experience begins the very first time you become aware of Burning Man. That is where the seed of the Burning Man experience is planted, and that is where it begins to grow.

Certainly, some of those seeds will never see the light of day, let alone ripen to their full potential. However in the year 2012, 50,000 of those seeds that were sowed will be reaped. If we believe what the American author Greg Anderson espoused in his semi-famous quote, “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”, than we should take time to think back to the very first time we heard about Burning Man, the first time we became aware of Burning Man, and inseminate our mind with that point in time. For that is where our Burning Man experience first began.

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end”

- Ursula K LeGuin American Author circa 1929
DJ Euphoria
DJ Euphoria

Re: Thoughts from a Noob.

Postby Sham » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Welcome. Very nice introduction. Glad to have you here. Make yourself at home and we look forward to seeing you on the playa!
Sham

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Welcome to the crazy times!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jella » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:00 pm

DJ Euphoria wrote:This will be my very first year attending Burning Man and it will be a solo pilgrimage from Florida to Black Rock.

I realized today that the experience or Burning Man is not limited to what happens at Burning Man. The experience of Burning man begins well before the event. The experience even begins before you fully commit to going to the event. The experience begins the very first time you become aware of Burning Man. That is where the seed of the Burning Man experience is planted, and that is where it begins to grow.

Certainly, some of those seeds will never see the light of day, let alone ripen to their full potential. However in the year 2012, 50,000 of those seeds that were sowed will be reaped. If we believe what the American author Greg Anderson espoused in his semi-famous quote, Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”, than we should take time to think back to the very first time we heard about Burning Man, the first time we became aware of Burning Man, and inseminate our mind with that point in time. For that is where our Burning Man experience first began.

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end”

The Journey is truly always going to be differnt for you from now on I assure you. Well said indeed :) Welcome aboard..I like your attitude :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Hello 2.0!
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:03 pm

DJ Euphoria wrote:This will be my very first year attending Burning Man and it will be a solo pilgrimage from Florida to Black Rock.

Certainly, some of those seeds will never see the light of day, let alone ripen to their full potential. However in the year 2012, 50,000 of those seeds that were sowed will be reaped. If we believe what the American author Greg Anderson espoused in his semi-famous quote, “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”, than we should take time to think back to the very first time we heard about Burning Man, the first time we became aware of Burning Man, and inseminate our mind with that point in time. For that is where our Burning Man experience first began.

This is one of my all time favorite quotes because it has been so true in my own life! Love the sentiment and sending warm thoughts from another first timer:-)
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby Elderberry » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

I have you scheduled to have your macro key surgically removed from your finger.
Sham

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to Introduce Yourself!