Hello from Edmonton!

Hello from Edmonton!

Postby Endquote » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Hellooo! I'm a Burgin from Edmonton, Canada, and was lucky enough to get tickets in the lottery. I've heard about Burning Man for years and am very excited to finally be going! I've been reading the boards and I know that some people are pessimistic about the large burgin-to-burner ratio this year, but I for one am not interested in just being a tourist! I'm looking into volunteering, thinking about an artistic contribution, and hoping to participate however else I can. If anyone has any tips for me, they would be much appreciated! Thanks and looking forward to seeing you on the playa!!!
Endquote

Re: Hello from Edmonton!

Postby tamarakay » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Two (maybe three) tips. Read the survival guide. Read the prep threads on here. Then read them again. HAVE FUN DOING IT! This group is a very passionate, loving, snarky mess, but no one wants you not to have a fabulous prepared time. So jump on in and ask questions if you get lost!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby NessaZee » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am

Hi from edmonton too! :)
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:36 am

I take it there's no point in making any West Edmonton Mall jokes. Those are so eighties!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Endquote!

If you prepare like crazy, clean up scrupulously after yourself and aren't a spectator--rather, are a full-on participant--you will shimmer with virginal perfection.

However--as you may know, volunteer opportunities are here:
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

Until you know how you take to the altitude and heat, etc, it can be good to be slightly conservative with how much time you commit to volunteering. A great opportunity for a new person might be Lamplighters, since it's a walk-up opportunity (daily, 5pm, just off Center Camp) or for the Black Rock City Post Office (twice daily orientations--if they make it this year). Working at an Ice Station is also good; the shifts are just three hours, and you keep cool while doing it.

You can commit to just 1 or 2 shifts somewhere, and often add a shift later (while you're there) if you find that you enjoy it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Endquote » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! Savannah, is Black Rock City Post Office a theme camp? It doesn't seem to be in the official list of volunteering options.
Endquote

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Yeah, it's a theme camp. They get a spot in the center circle, however. On the burningman.com there's a section with lists of placed theme camps going back some years. I'm sure the post office will be there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dangerous » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi Endquote!

If you prepare like crazy, clean up scrupulously after yourself and aren't a spectator--rather, are a full-on participant--you will shimmer with virginal perfection.

i really should put my glasses on...i thought that said vaginal perfection first read through :)

hello Endquote!

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby Endquote » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks Cryptofishist, found it :)
Endquote

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 pm

One may also usually google BRCPO and find them.

If you volunteer for the Post Office, you'll want to have a little natural sense of direction, know how to use a compass, or talk to strangers. I don't find navigation difficult there (it's a u-shape measured on a clock; hard to go wrong) but people without a sense of direction occasionally struggle. More significantly: camps are often a block away from where they said they'd be. :lol: Tolerance for adventure is necessary. But then again, it's Burning Man; this is implied . . .

sage_ wrote:
Savannah wrote:Hi Endquote!

i really should put my glasses on...i thought that said vaginal perfection first read through :)

That too. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Endquote » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 am

Sounds good, thanks Savannah and everyone else! I'll try applying for a few positions and see what happens.
Endquote

Postby NessaZee » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:36 am

hey Endquote, were you at our regional (Default Detour) in November? :mrgreen:
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby Endquote » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 pm

No I wasn't NessaZee, but I would definitely be interested in catching the next one. Do you know if there is one scheduled for this year?
Endquote

Postby rumajo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 pm

hi endquote...
Please subscribe to the Alberta Burner regional mailing list! It can be found at:
https://lists.burningman(dot)com/mailman/listinfo/alberta-list
we're also on f*cebook at: 'Alberta Regional Burn' and 'Edmonton Burner Network'

The Alberta Burners number in the several hundreds and we live right across the province (and beyond) & we get together for all sorts of reasons...like talking about Burningman, sharing resources to get there, potlucks, planning our regional burn, dance nights, craft/bike workshops, Recomp / Decomp, art...and anything else you can imagine = we love it!
Just this weekend we started planning our regional burn event called Freezer Burn to be held in June 2012. Myself, I live in AB too and I'm a six time Burner who would love to share stories, advice, etc. Bye for now & stay in touch!!
'03 - Faith & 430; '04 - Mars & 530; '05 - Fetish & 420; '06 - 430 Keyhole; '08 - The Wheel & 630; '11 - Gnome & 250...
rumajo

Postby Endquote » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Subscribed! Thanks rumajo!
Endquote

Return to Introduce Yourself!