thoughts of a first timer...

thoughts of a first timer...

Postby takyon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 am

hi every body,

my name is jeff, i'm french and this summer it will be my first burning man.

i am pretty surprised about the reactions i have read so far :

the lottery system, does it obviously mean that is all about randomness? so i think it's pretty normal that some long time burners which think they "deserve a ticket" (i am not judging them, i really think THEY DESERVE tickets) don't get one, and some newbies like me do...? so in my opinion it is just not "unfair" but it is "random". because i almost feel guilty right now to get one...

plus, i am aware about the "scalpers phenomenon", THAT is unfair... so i understand some sort of frustration you might feel. but i thought the heart of the burning man community was mutual assistance and not rancor or anger... (i hope i'm not too rude, english is not my maternal language... so i hope that i can express my thoughts without being too tough..)

because once again, i feel like, when i will be on the playa and i will meet people i will have to hide that i'm a first timer or something like that... (even if i guess it will be obvious that i am...) because i am afraid of what some persons will think about me...

to finish, i want to say that i have a deep respect for those who act to make the burning what it is, all the artists, performers, volonteers, organisators and those that i forget...

and after all i said, i want to tell that i am still very happy to finally be a part of burning man after several years without being able to participate. i can't wait to meet you all (if only it's possible...) to share some time, experiences, talks and more...

hoping that you understand what i feel, i wait for your remarks and comments...

have a nice day.

ps: once again i don't wanna seem too rude or impolit, but i'm not able to better nuanced what i think. and i dont want to make ennemies but just share my thoughts with you and receive yours. as i already said, i'm a newby, so it's all new for me and i really hope i could be a part of your family...and i guess the real question beyond all this, is : will i be welcome even if i am a first timer and some long time burners were not allowed to get there?
takyon

Re: thoughts of a first timer...

Postby Elderberry » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby 5280MeV » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 am

takyon wrote:because once again, i feel like, when i will be on the playa and i will meet people i will have to hide that i'm a first timer or something like that... (even if i guess it will be obvious that i am...) because i am afraid of what some persons will think about me...

Welcome to the message board!

Last year was my first time and absolutely nobody gave be anything less than a very warm welcome (often in their own bizarre way).

All of the theme camps are there because everyone wants to party with YOU.

Drink plenty of water.
5280MeV

Postby a figment » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

come participate and enjoy, every one was a burgin at one time.
a figment

Postby tamarakay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Welcome! These are crazy times around here right now. Thinks will settle down and we will be back to our sweet, warm, snarky selves.
I was a virgin burner last year and felt nothing but love on the playa. Don't confuse this board, Eplaya, with the playa. Someone that really aggravates the snot out of you on Eplaya will be helping you pound rebar and telling you about Don't Miss This stuff on playa.

Jump on in, the preparation threads in particular are very much worth spending lots and lots of time in.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby takyon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:57 am

thanks to all,
i feel better after reading your posts.

don't worry for me Tamarakay, i read everything to be well prepared...
if i have any others questions, i know where to ask now...

thanks again
takyon

Postby Cal1dev » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 am

Welcome! See you on the playa! :D

Devi

Live, love...free.
<3 Burgin sacrifice <3
Cal1dev

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 am

Welcome to eplaya.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Jeff!

You are welcome here, and welcome on the playa.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Introduce Yourself!