From Reno!

From Reno!

Postby kyles310 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Hello fellow Burners! This is my first year going back since 2000, and thankfully I got tickets. Looking forward to meeting people from everywhere!
"Beer - The cause of, and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer J. Simpson 1995
kyles310

Re: From Reno!

Postby kyles310 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 pm

I suppose I could have offered more info... I'm stoked to make it back this year, and as a bonus I am bringing a couple who will be going for their first time. Sorry to anybody who didn't get their tickets in the lottery, but hold out for STEP and I think this craziness will die down. DON'T support the scalpers!! That's why we had problems in the first place. It's easy to get freaked out about not getting a ticket, but the only reason the scalpers have all the tickets is because they know they will make money, the greedy bastards. I bought two tickets myself just to make sure I could bring somebody that I know will have fun. If the time comes and I haven't found that person, the extra ticket is either going to STEP, or someone I know FOR SURE needs it.

Any tips on the best way to introduce a couple to their first burn? I want them to have as much fun as I've had on the playa, but don't want to "force" them into my ideal experience...
"Beer - The cause of, and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer J. Simpson 1995
kyles310

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Kyle,

The city has more than doubled in population since 2000! Boy, are you in for a change. I still love it though, and I hope you will, too.

(Last time you were in the city there's a good chance I could've waved at you without any tents in the way!)

Re: your friends . . . tell 'em they need to read the Survival Guide a few times (linked below in my sig). If they haven't, it's a great place to start, and will even help them start their packing list, because it has a list of basics upon which to build. They can't have fun unless they're surviving well and are capable of doing okay if you disappear with a Belgian for 48 hours. :)

You're absolutely right, it's good not to push your idea of a perfect Burn onto them. Beyond the Survival Guide itself, I would say: encourage them to explore the First Timer's Guide, the 10 Principles, etc . . . and encourage "no expectations", because every Burn is different from person to person, even within the same year, or the same camp. It's an adventure, but no one can tell you what kind.

If you tell us a little about your friends--nothing too private, since they can't speak for themselves (heh)--we might be able to throw out more specific suggestions.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby kyles310 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Savannah wrote:The city has more than doubled in population since 2000! Boy, are you in for a change. I still love it though, and I hope you will, too.

I believe it! I can't freakin wait to get back out there though, it feels like I was there just a couple months ago. As for them, they are pretty hardy campers and we've spent more than a few times in the elements with no problems. I think the biggest them to try to prepare them for is the culture shock. They are not exactly uptight, but maybe not as free-spirited as others (yet). Hell, I'm probably not going to know what to do with myself at first either!

I've been reading through about things like gifting and such. Even though it doesn't sound like that aspect has really changed, I know enough to know that everything changes from preparing to actually living and meeting people on the playa.

Thanks, Savannah. You rock!
kyles310

Postby Elderberry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby tamarakay » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

Hey there! I'm so glad you get to come back! Be sure to come back on here post burn and let us know how different\the same it all was!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Welcome!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Return to Introduce Yourself!