Finally getting to the Playa in 2012!

Finally getting to the Playa in 2012!

Postby AbundantChoice » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi everybody, it looks like I finally get to come out to the playa in 2012.

I actually lived in SF 12-7 years ago, but never had a chance to pull off a Burning Man trip while I was actually local. Now, even though i'm on the other side of the country in Boston, i'm finally in a situation where I can make it work. I'm very lucky in that I have a friend who is part of a pretty big theme camp, and it looks like i'll be burning with them this year. It turns out camps are a bit more tolerant of virgin burners when you (a) are already close friends with someone in the camp, and, maybe more importantly, (b) know how to weld =)

This is going to be a great change of pace. I've been going to Coachella for 11 years in a row, and every year when I see the refugee art installations that come down from Burning Man, I regret not making a pilgrimage myself. Not just to take it all in, but to participate, and hopefully help create something as well. Of course, my friend has already warned me that nothing can really prepare you for the BM experience until you're actually there in the thick of it, but i'm still really looking forward to it.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Re: Finally getting to the Playa in 2012!

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Welcome aboard. I hope that whitish object in your profile is a potato--which is this year's theme--and not a pineapple--which might set off Simon's PTSD.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Welcome! :D

Your friend is right--nothing can truly prepare you, but you can sure as hell try. And if you read ePlaya, you will know more than I did at my first Burn.

You've probably read the survival guide by now, but if not, it's here (I recommend printing it in PDF form). The idea is to be as radically self-reliant as possible out there.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AbundantChoice » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Welcome aboard. I hope that whitish object in your profile is a potato--which is this year's theme--and not a pineapple--which might set off Simon's PTSD.

Fear not, it's potato. Just a little Potato Sun God sacrificing a Potato Peon to the Shiny Purple Elder Egg. Certainly less menacing than pineapple!
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Good. Simon's PTSD is a force to be reckoned with.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!