Turning 43 hopefully there this year!

Turning 43 hopefully there this year!

Postby Patiencepie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:51 am

My kids are finally old enough to get thier silly selves to school and soccor on thier own this year so I AM GOING! Getting a ticket has never been the problem for me but I have always wondered how people can get off work, get the kids, house and pets babysat, a car that will drive that far, acquire all the necessities and still bring thier "art" to the event. It is a matter of planning that's been hard for me. So this year I am getting my brain together (coz it's scattered most the time) and putting this in the works for me! I am a Virgo having my 43 while there. See you all there! Yippy!
Patiencepie

Re: Turning 43 hopefully there this year!

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:12 am

Welcome to e-playa! You have plenty of time if you start planning now. Read the Survival Guide and much else on the main website, and subscribe to Jack Rabbit Speaks (also on the main page).
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:17 am

Welcome to eplaya! It's a lot of work, getting out there, but well worth it!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 am

Awesome - glad to hear it's all coming together for you. Welcome!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!!

I am a single parent and my two guys were 16 & 17 the first time I went to Burning Man. I drove down from Saskatchewan Canada with our regional BM rep. I took two weeks off work, paid the bills, gave the kids some cash for food, and left. Burning Man was the best, worst, amazing, horrific, fantastic experience that exceeded my wildest dreams.

When I got home, the house was still there, the kids were fine (as was the cat). So, if you can wrangle it - do so.

I suggest you get in touch with the closest regional group. http://regionals.burningman.com/na_index.html For me, the guidance I received was priceless.

2012 will be my 6th burn in a row. My now adult children tolerate my BM stories. They even show a bit of interest in going. My youngest, when I first invited him replied "There is no way in Hell that I am going to that Fu_king Hippie-Fest" ;) Nice to know he had an opinion.

So, read the Survival Guide from cover-to-cover: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html
Do some research (google "eplaya _subject_") and if you can't find an exact answer, we are here. (be warned, that you might get some snark for the FAQ style questions. We mostly arn't assholes in person :roll: )

See ya on the Playa
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome!

You're a "birthday burner" happy 43rd a little early & enjoy the burn :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby TT120 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I will turn 49 at the burn this year. Cool place to have a birthday. :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am

Welcome! We waited till the kids were older too. Out of six kids we only have one that's obsessed with going. Oldest would more likely go to a willie nelson picnic, second oldest says too many things there that derail his life (not until he's got a few more years clean), third gets social anxiety to the max (maybe one day), twins - one is hooked and going this year, the other would like to eventually, and that baby thinks we have twin 1 too much of our koolaid. :D

But definately this is worth taking the time to get organized and planned.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 am

Welcome to eplaya!!! I am taking my brother for his first time and he will turn 40 while we are there. What a great place to celebrate!

I am blessed to have an understanding wife. She knows me well enough to let me go and enjoy myself, and knows herself well enough to stay home.

She and my kids always watch the live feed on the internet and then enjoy my stories and pictures when I get home.

I find the planning stages to be really fun, so my advice will be similar to the others. Read as much info as you can, make sure you can be radically self reliant, bring a little extra to gift or to help a burner in need, then just go...

Good luck and Burn on!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am

Patiencepie wrote: I am a Virgo having my 43 while there. See you all there! Yippy!

TT120 wrote:I will turn 49 at the burn this year. Cool place to have a birthday. :D

Wooo HOOOO! BIRTHDAY SHOTS!!!

Patience, welcome to eplaya!

Those are a lot of things that have to be figured out before heading to the playa, but if you consider each individually its not that bad.
Make a list of "To Do" "To Buy" "To Make" and "To get situated" right now, figure out a place for everything. Then once you KNOW you have a ticket. Remake the lists. And each day/week/month cross a couple things off each list.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

Welcome aboard the crazy train..there's no going back for you now...mmmwwwhahahaa
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

Welcome to eplaya.

And if your kids are old enough for taking care of themselves, why not bring them too? Bringing my son was great and I wish my daughter would have gone too.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi Patiencepie! :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby teardropper » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Welcome. It's about time...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Introduce Yourself!