My first festival ever!

Re: My first festival ever!

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 pm

*plonk*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm

junglesmacks wrote:*plonk*

YAY!
Be sure to post up in the plonk thread!

(fearfully hears carly simon in the background for the thread self promoting)
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:09 pm

lol.. I kid. I've never plonked anyone and never will. If you can't laugh off people like this, then you've got much bigger issues to worry about.. :D
junglesmacks

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Welcome!

You can jump out of an airplane and go to burning man (it costs big bucks to do the combo) but you cannot easily escape the EDM!!!

Bring ear plugs, have fun, and remember; wooden instruments tend to warp out there, this is one of the reasons I think EDM is popular at burning man. Center Camp Cafe stage had quite a few singers and non-edm music, you should check that place out. Also if you hunt and search you'll find non-edm (I think) here n there at various camps.

Pink Floyd & the synthesizer sounds good to my ears, isn't that considered "early edm?"
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 pm

junglesmacks wrote:lol.. I kid. I've never plonked anyone and never will. If you can't laugh off people like this, then you've got much bigger issues to worry about.. :D

So....?

I guess this means you won't be posting in the plonk thread...... :( :? :P
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 am

Gee, if nothing else, the OP has Lemur and I seeing eye to eye on something. :shock:

NWO, i'd re-read Eric's posts. Great advice and observations in there.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 am

lemur wrote:
new_world_order wrote:
I wouldn't even fathom that someone from a festival like this would even know who Bach was, let alone a harpsichord.

you have a lot to learn.

No shit. Hand me that clue-bat.

Welcome. You'll get it once you get your boots dusty.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 am

Eric wrote:The fact you seem to be missing is that almost everyone who posts on this board for more than a few months is only 1-2 degrees of separation from each other; if we don't know someone directly we almost always know someone who does know them.

Fuck! **worried**
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:45 am

wh..sh wrote:
Eric wrote:The fact you seem to be missing is that almost everyone who posts on this board for more than a few months is only 1-2 degrees of separation from each other; if we don't know someone directly we almost always know someone who does know them.

Fuck! **worried**

no need to worry now............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 am

ygmir wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

Fuck! **worried**

no need to worry now............

You've already been assimilated. Resistance is futile, and remember: It only hurts worse if you clench.
junglesmacks

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 am

new_world_order wrote:okay i am putting this TO REST once and for all...so much hate mail over an OPINION of ONE MAN!!! I mean what the fuck is wrong with you people? I am just trying to introduce myself and socialize within the forum.

You didn't just come in and introduce yourself and mention - oh by the way I don't like electronic music, you came in to start a fight:

new_world_order wrote:Electronic pisses me off; being a musician, it is a cop out to say that mixing random sounds to a beat suddenly makes you a musician. To me, musicianship takes skill and a life time of practice at mastering not only an instrument and the technique, but the theory of why things sound pleasing to the ears. I can sit at home and make electronic shit on my lap top in two seconds.

Have you ever actually produced EDM on your laptop? What software and hardware did you use? How would you describe it? Let's hear what you have produced :)

This is what your introduction sounded like:

Besides, classical guitar pisses me off; being a musician, it is a cop out to say that plucking random strings to a metronome suddenly makes you a musician. To me, musicianship takes skill and a life time of practice at mastering not only the software and hardware tools, but the theory of how different waveforms affect the timbre of a bass line, and how to construct polyrhythms. I can sit at home and learn to pick "Ode to Joy" on a guitar in two seconds.

Yes, one can technically perform a version of Beethoven's musical representation of Universal Brotherhood, the awe inspiring pinnacle of the Ninth Symphony, by sitting around with a $50 guitar and futzing with it for an hour.

One can also purchase the $50 version of FL-Studio Express, futz with it for an hour, and come up with a cliched techno track that people can in fact dance to.

You CANNOT futz with a guitar for an hour and learn to play Paganini's Caprice No.24:

Likewise, you CANNOT futz with FL-Studio for an hour and program Richard D. James' 54 Cymru Beats:

Consider camping in Hushville - the EDM constantly banging in the distance will be a bit more muted. Definitely bring earplugs. Burning Man is not a music festival or an electronic music festival. In fact, the only stage approximating something like an 'official' stage would be in center camp - and that is strictly acoustic music only. The only music is what the participants bring and perform for free. It would be very nice to hear a harmonica in the distance at sunrise or sunset. That said, a lot of us like to rock out to electronic - and we are bringing it on systems large and small - so be ready for it.
5280MeV

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 am

junglesmacks wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

Fuck! **worried**

You've already been assimilated. Resistance is futile, and remember: It only hurts worse if you clench.

Just sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Its too late for you... You are one of us!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 am

That deserves a long, slow, patriotic clap. Well played, my good man. Well played.
junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 am

don't worry you guys,, I met her (Wh..sh) this weekend in Reno........now, she understand.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 am

ygmir wrote:don't worry you guys,, I met her (Wh..sh) this weekend in Reno........now, she understand.

sssssssshhhhh yggy! These guys have no clue and we want to keep it that way.

I am starting to decipher the eplaya acceptance procedure... junglesmacks bounces on you like a cute puppy, illy dilly stalks you, and finally ygmir meets you and approves/disapproves (at each step, message is being passed to the higher order). And I think the final step is when people at meet n greet will hold one down and pour Absinthe down your throat forcefully.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 am

wh..sh wrote:
ygmir wrote:don't worry you guys,, I met her (Wh..sh) this weekend in Reno........now, she understand.

I am starting to decipher the eplaya acceptance procedure... junglesmacks bounces on you like a cute puppy, illy dilly stalks you, and finally ygmir meets you and approves/disapproves (at each step, message is being passed to the higher order). And I think the final step is when people at meet n greet will hold one down and pour Absinthe down your throat forcefully.

This is one of the brain washing pro... I mean acceptance procedures.
And honestly, the more fun the stalk the quicker approval moves on to ygmir.

And if it isn't clear yet NWO, didn't make it past the first step of approval.

Also, don't worry I kept a real close eye on your place while you were on vacation. You really do have nice silverware, but you are out of shampoo.
Last edited by illy dilly on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby NessaZee » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

NWO, according to your musical 'tastes', and the fact that you are interested in popping your 'festival' cherry...perhaps a better first go would be at Lightning in a Bottle. Lots of bands there. Or better yet, go to something with none of that um what do you call it?....non-music?....like Big Valley Jamboree.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby NessaZee » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 am

let me just get this opinion thing straight here......

you can't fathom that 'someone from a festival like this', knows about harpsichords
but you say you have never been to a festival.
IGNORANT
you say electronic music is shit.
OPINION
you say that 'everything else is good'...but have never heard baroque opera...
CONFLICTING
you say that you respect that we like shit.
INSULTING!! (sorry fetish people...let me run with this)
then you ask, 'what the fuck is wrong with YOU people'?.
super INSULTING!!
AND then you say "I am just trying to introduce myself and socialize within the forum."
VICTIM..LOL..really?

NWO, is this how you generally introduce yourself to people?
do you ever wonder why you have so much time to play with your polyrhythms and waveform theories?

ugh i feel like I just lost 15 minutes of my life.
gonna try to stay out of this thread, but damn...
NessaZee

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am

wh..sh wrote:

sorry

I've heard Doc has variants of this procedure. It's a secret ritual, sometimes in the back of his RV:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 am

wh..sh wrote:I am starting to decipher the eplaya acceptance procedure... junglesmacks bounces on you like a cute puppy, illy dilly stalks you, and finally ygmir meets you and approves/disapproves (at each step, message is being passed to the higher order)

*rubbing hands together*

Smithers.. the plan is moving along quit nicely, now isn't it..
junglesmacks

Postby illy dilly » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:
wh..sh wrote:I am starting to decipher the eplaya acceptance procedure... junglesmacks bounces on you like a cute puppy, illy dilly stalks you, and finally ygmir meets you and approves/disapproves (at each step, message is being passed to the higher order)

*rubbing hands together*

At least she hasn't figured out how Lemur, Simon, Savannah, BBadger, Elliot, Foxfur, fishy, MaryAnimal, Eric, and Etc. fit into the plan.
illy dilly

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am

junglesmacks

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:58 am

ygmir wrote:I've heard Doc has variants of this procedure. It's a secret ritual, sometimes in the back of his RV

junglesmacks wrote:*rubbing hands together*

illy dilly wrote:At least she hasn't figured out how Lemur, Simon, Savannah, BBadger, Elliot, Foxfur, fishy, MaryAnimal, Eric, and Etc. fit into the plan.

Guys, guys, guys... whatever is going to happen at Meet 'n greet, can someone promise to please play some "fucking" real music or real "fucking" music?

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby forty_eight » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 am

NWO, you don't want to miss this concert ... the Crescendolls are the closing live act on the main stage but none of these people will tell you that straight up!

Also, despite what anyone says: TAKE THE BROWN ACID!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:27 am

NessaZee wrote:The reason I thought it might be possible is because my ticket was discounted the first year I went. I volunteered with the crew who contributed some sound for the Do Lab/El Cirque camp. Our crew received a number of discounted tickets and subsidized travel for our involvement.

Okay, sorry if I came down a little hard. Yes it is possible to work with an art piece and you might get a ticket. But, please, don't volunteer with an art project, or a camp, or a llc department hoping to get in free. I've found that the cheapest way to get a ticket is to pay for it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby new_world_order » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 pm

i notice a common trend on forums...4/5 people are ass holes. responding is useless! no one is like "sic opinion dude! now come check out all this awesome electronic music I listen to and be free!" no one says "i feel the same way. I feel ya brother" i have like 2 positive comments on this entire thread.
new_world_order

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

You're right. It sucks. Burning Man sucks, too. Don't go.
junglesmacks

Postby NessaZee » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:36 pm

new_world_order wrote:i notice a common trend on forums...4/5 people are ass holes. responding is useless! no one is like "sic opinion dude! now come check out all this awesome electronic music I listen to and be free!" no one says "i feel the same way. I feel ya brother" i have like 2 positive comments on this entire thread.

ahahaha!! REALLY?

theCryptofishist wrote:
NessaZee wrote:The reason I thought it might be possible is because my ticket was discounted the first year I went. I volunteered with the crew who contributed some sound for the Do Lab/El Cirque camp. Our crew received a number of discounted tickets and subsidized travel for our involvement.

Okay, sorry if I came down a little hard. Yes it is possible to work with an art piece and you might get a ticket. But, please, don't volunteer with an art project, or a camp, or a llc department hoping to get in free. I've found that the cheapest way to get a ticket is to pay for it.

No worries. I agree!
my partner went in 2004, that sparked my interest. I was on the fence for a long time, I knew I would be on the playa someday...it seemed to me that a trip to BM was either all in or don't bother. Up until an opportunity came around for a crew I work with, I had just been telling myself I wasn't ready and I would know when I was(lol procrastinate much?...obviously i had no clue what i was 'missing'). Heading to BRC with a group of friends(14 of us,all virgins except 3...ahaha...can you imagine the mess?), cooking for the group, and working with a talented group of peeps to build a stage...all for under $500cdn was like a golden ticket. I knew I had to do it.
People don't understand that BM isn't just some festival...it's a commitment to be responsible. which essentially is the exact opposite of what most people believe festivals to be.

I totally prefer to take care of my own ticket/food/travel..then i have all the freedom in the world to help with whatever inspires me!

I'd love to go this year. hell, i'd love to go every single year. i feel wary of forcing it....some years i really just can't afford it...and that's ok :)

**edited to add bold letters
NessaZee

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:38 pm

It's as if the whole thing could serve as some kind of lesson in the use of potentially insulting or inflammatory remarks in an introduction post...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:09 pm

new_world_order wrote:i notice a common trend on forums...4/5 people are ass holes. responding is useless! no one is like "sic opinion dude! now come check out all this awesome electronic music I listen to and be free!" no one says "i feel the same way. I feel ya brother" i have like 2 positive comments on this entire thread.

Maybe it's the way you present yourself that creates this trend. And........I'm done here.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!