Traveling all year... Burning Man is my final destination.

Traveling all year... Burning Man is my final destination.

Postby Sheena5721 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Yo! My name is Mackenzie. I registered for my first BM ticket on the 9th and I am keeping positive thoughts and pictures in mind (I'll get a ticket!!) :mrgreen:
I am currently in Sayulita, Nayarit, MX but I am from Seattle, WA. I have been in Mexico for one month now. Immersed myself in an unknown culture and have learned SO MUCH. In a few days I will be off to the Big Island (HI) to work on an organic farm for about 8 months... until BM. Once I get a ticket, I will buy a one way plane ticket to Nevada. I am unsure of where I should fly into Nevada from Hawaii... I am traveling alone. I will pretty much be winging the entire week (with great ambition!) So basically... any ideas of the closest airport, where I could most likely hitch a ride to Black Rock City? My dad "Wiggie" has been going to BM for years... as long as I've been in this body. So I know he will have good insight as well on different camps and people to hook up with but I want to get a wide range of thoughts from fellow burners! Ultimately, time will tell and I will meet the right people. I am guided by love.

PEACE! PAZ! ALOHA!
THANK YOU! GRACIAS! MAHALO!

Sheena5721

Re: Traveling all year... Burning Man is my final destinatio

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Sheena5721 wrote:I will pretty much be winging the entire week (with great ambition!)

So this part ^^^ scares me. A week in the Black Rock Desert should not be 'winged'

Sheena5721 wrote: My dad "Wiggie" has been going to BM for years... as long as I've been in this body. So I know he will have good insight as well on different camps and people to hook up with but I want to get a wide range of thoughts from fellow burners!

Then this made me feel a little better. Will you be meeting your dad, who will have supplies for you? Or is he not going this year?

Sheena5721 wrote:I am guided by love.

And this brings me back to being scared and worried for you and our community. The community at a whole will not let you die, if you didn't wing enough water or food, but it will only be a sore on the entire city.

When you say "your winging the week" what exactly does that mean?

Other wise, welcome to eplaya!
I really hope that you can find the insight that you are looking for.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

You can probably catch a ride at the Reno airport. It will greatly help if your father does bring the basics. Otherwise, you're looking for a ride that's looking for supplies at the same places you do and will have room when you all have your purchases.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sheena5721 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Well as of this moment... I have a lot to research, a lot to gather and many people to speak with. I guess by 'winging' it what I really mean is I have no real expectations of how it could all beautifully unfold. I definitely understand that I will need to bring food, water, shelter etc... (I actually have a HUGE packing list for BM I made about 4 years ago) but since I am traveling straight from Hawaii its going to be a bit of a "we'll see what happens" type of thing for me. I will definitely take care of myself. My time spent in Hawaii will prepare me even more for sustainable living and survival. I shouldn't have used that word... but in sense it is also how I feel as of now. There is plenty of time to learn... just wanted to throw my thoughts out to the universe to get the ball rollin'. :P
Sheena5721

Postby funkyjigsaw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 pm

You should also be able to get a rideshare from San Francisco. If that makes it easier and cheaper to fly from Hawaii.
funkyjigsaw

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Mackenzie. You'll want to fly into Reno; it's 2 hours from the playa. There's usually a rideshare desk in the Reno Airport near the baggage claim, where volunteers match people with rides, which is a great fallback option. Since you have a lot of time to plan, however, it makes sense to avail yourself of your father's knowledge, be introduced to the people he knows, and/or possibly join a camp.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Sheena5721 wrote:Well as of this moment... I have a lot to research, a lot to gather and many people to speak with. I guess by 'winging' it what I really mean is I have no real expectations of how it could all beautifully unfold. I definitely understand that I will need to bring food, water, shelter etc... (I actually have a HUGE packing list for BM I made about 4 years ago) but since I am traveling straight from Hawaii its going to be a bit of a "we'll see what happens" type of thing for me. I will definitely take care of myself. My time spent in Hawaii will prepare me even more for sustainable living and survival. I shouldn't have used that word... but in sense it is also how I feel as of now. There is plenty of time to learn... just wanted to throw my thoughts out to the universe to get the ball rollin'. :P

Ok cool.
I was a little concerned. "Winging It" can mean a lot of different things.

Do you plan to fly in with an extra day or two to prepare and gather supplies?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Sheena5721 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Any and all is so very helpful.
Yes, I was considering arriving in Reno Friday the 24th or Saturday the 25th. I will probably do that now that you mentioned it.
Sheena5721

Postby jkisha » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lemur » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 pm

how many of these do we get every year ?

'IM TRAVELING THE WORLD AND BURNING MAN IS...'

i remember a few people with busses/vehicles they wanted the community to help fund ..vehicles that would end up at burning man but it was all about their cross country exploration..

i wonder how many of these actuallly come to fruition ..of all the ones ive seen appear every year i dont ever recall seeing the final rundown of the journey..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 pm

lemur wrote:how many of these do we get every year ?

A few. But at least this gal isn't asking for money. Just tips and tricks.
illy dilly

Postby Sheena5721 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm

I am one of "these" who will soon be one of "those" that contributes just as much as I am capable. I don't want money. I got my back. It's allll gooood! I very much appreciate all of your thoughts. I will get there fully equipped :twisted: and it will be fantastic.
Sheena5721

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Sounds like quite an adventure - welcome to ePlaya! You've come to the right place, with the first timer's guide and survival guide and whatnot on the main site proving essential reading (tropical islands are vastly different from high altitude deserts, as you might imagine), plus that list you started a few years back, your dad, and this place can help fill in the gaps so you can help make it all come together perfectly. Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby johneed » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 am

2011 was my first year. I flew into Reno with rental car preparations. I used the BM Rideshare board to offer rides to 3 other attendees, all of which were landing various times before me on the same day. By the time I got there, only 1 of my pre-planned riders was there waiting for me. The other 2 had already connected with earlier rides.

This was no problem at all. I still didn't have to drive by myself, got to know my single rider well, and is ample proof it is easy to wing rides out of Reno.

P.S. This was on Friday afternoon.
johneed

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 am

I have a good friend and campmate who WOOFed on Big Island. She loved it, but then, Big Island is easy to love. In fact, we just got back from there yesterday, although we stay in a condo. Rather different experience.

Sustainable living on the scarcity of the playa is also a different experience than sustainable living in a paradise of abundance. There's art in that, most assuredly.

Welcome Home.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Introduce Yourself!