Hello From Mississippi

Hello From Mississippi

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:34 am

Hey. What's going on everyone? My name is Daniel and I'm from Hattiesburg, MS and I am currently a Social Work student at the University of Southern Mississippi. I feel a little crazy for doing this, but I decided to register for this board...even though I probably won't be able to attend until 2013. It sucks, but it's just the whole needing money deal (plus classes start the week before), so I plan on saving up...and skipping classes next year for the week. lol

Lets see.... I don't know anybody that's ever been, but I have heard about it a few times over the years. (mainly by people referring to it as "that bunch of hippies out in the desert") ...and, just from what the videos I've seen and from what I've seen people posting about it, it seems amazing. But, because I've never been one to do something half heatedly, I've even signed up to volunteer (if it's possible to do that 2,000 miles away). ...but, I don't know anybody, so I guess I'm here to learn what I can...and considering that I have a year and a half to do that, I'm sure I'll know a few people before I head out there.

Anyways, I have no idea who created this video, but I love it...

JDCookMS

Re: Hello From Mississippi

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:12 am

Oh and I forgot to say that I'm gay, so I was wondering if that was a big deal at Black Rock City or not really? I figure that it wouldn't be, since Burning Man seems to have a pretty amazing....everything to it. But, are there any LGBT....events/stuff (don't really know a better word) at Black Rock City?
JDCookMS

Postby moonrise » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 am

Welcome!

There are ways to volunteer via online and probably other ways to contribute/participate from afar. The Pier 2 is building a shipwreck and is seeking creative contributions from artists all over the world. These can be actual parts of the ship, including journals written by the crew, even a desperate sailor/prisoner's last scribbled words...could be good for a Social Work college student. Can you get inside our heads and make some new history? I think living along the Mrs. Hippie, you'd have an easy and fun time re-writing some history... fbcota is the Artist in charge of The Pier & The Pier 2, feel free to PM him.
(I couldn't resist the Mrs. Hippie reference...just having some fun).

Here are the links to The Pier threads:

2012 proposed The Pier 2 Art Installation viewtopic.php?f=282&t=51422&start=0&hilit=the+pier+2

2011 The Pier Art Installation (a smash hit success in 2011!) viewtopic.php?f=189&t=37226&start=0&hilit=the+pier

You need to go to your profile and enable your settings better (I think BBcode?) for your youtube vids and such to show up properly.
Is the youtube you pasted up the Burning Man/Dr Suess video going around? Or is it a different youtube regarding Burning Man? (spill it JD! j/k, har har)

Here's a link to the Burning Man-Dr Seuss youtube in a thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=53169&start=0

There are two gay neighborhoods comprised of gay camps and they do events/stuff; the gay ghetto near 3:00 O'Clock-ish area, and the Gayborhood, near 7:30-ish area.
If you look at a map the O'Clock streets are the spokes of a wheel and the radial streets are alphabetical, A,B,C, D, etc and named respectively Animal, Brainiac, Catwoman, Dainbramage and so on...

Eric one of the moderators has an incredible map of allllllll of the sexualities, it's quite amazing!! I had no clue there were so many different types, I hope he can find and post it again, it's a keeper ;)

I came here to sell my ticket & post-pone my first burn for a year, so I could save up for a disabled person's golfcart. Things went into over-drive fairly quickly and the next thing I knew was "I'm going to Burning Man!" like right then and there...no waiting a year for me. I didn't have college in the works, it's probably best you finish that and plan for 2013. ~)'(~
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby funkyjigsaw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:37 am

Hi Daniel! Burning Mam is very tolerant of any LGBT, so no worries there.
STRONGLY suggest you bite the bullet (somehow, financially and otherwise) and get your ass to BM 2012 - i.e. this year.
If I had to wait 18 months, I'd explode of frustration!! And the more you get into this the more pumped you are gonna be. Just imagine how you will feel in August 2012 when everyone is heading off to the playa, and you aren't going??
Good luck for everything! Funx.
funkyjigsaw

Postby Elderberry » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 am

Welcome to ePlaya! No, you're not crazy for signing up this early in preparation for a 2013 journey… you'll be that much better prepared, and hopefully be able to connect with some folks in your region that can help get things organized. I've found the Burning Man community to be a pretty open and welcoming community to people regardless of gender or orientation, and think you'll find the same.

FYI, I fixed the video link embed in your post (that clip's been making the rounds, and is on the site in a few places already). The Youtube embed functionality is a little persnickety, it doesn't recognize the youtu.be link format and need the link to be in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahv_1IS7SiE format.

Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

You have no idea how glad you're not doing some sort of project that requires your asking a bunch of questions that make us feel pejoratised and react in a highly cranky matter. That's a pretty serious faux pas on this board.
Yes, queer-friendly (my preferred term for various reasons, but I realize it might not be yours), don't forget that the event started in San Francisco. Which is perhaps loosing its status as the best city to be gay in in the states, but it's not horrible. Not by a long shot. In fact, there is a definite intolerance of some young male heterosexual antics that are privileged in the outside world. There's a lot of naked or near naked women around, and gawking too hard just makes you look like an ass.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Daniel! :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. :)

@moonrise That actually sounds really amazing, plus it would be a thing where even if I couldn't go, then I could still send a factious journal or whatnot to someone to contribute for me. It still takes a bit for me to wrap my mind around the fact that people create all this amazing stuff...or that it's in the middle of the desert in a city that previously didn't exist... or you get the picture.

@funkyjigsaw ...you're absolutely right... even after being on here last night and watching some stuff from the past years, I really want to go. I'm actually even going to try and recruit some friends to go because it would make it cheaper. My idea would be to drive out and back on both weekends, so we would only miss a week of school... and I figure that if we camped and could get low-income tickets + fuel, it'd come out to be about... $500-600, not including supplies.

@jkisha thanks for the welcome, glad to be here

@trilobyte I hope so... there's no regional group for Mississippi, which is disappointing (although not unexpected...Mississippi kinda majorly sucks in that way). But, maybe after I visit I could try and get something started here, or at least get a group together that would be interested in going out there on a yearly basis. But, thank you for fixing the link, I'll remember that from now on. Honestly, that video put it over the top for me, like I've heard about it and have seen a couple of pictures, but that finally made me snap and decide that I have got to go.

@cryptofish Haha... yeah, no, especially my first time coming out I want to be able to enjoy the experience of it, in the forms of being able to volunteer my time (already filled out the volunteer thing), being able to give some kind of gift and all of that. ...oh and I'm a broke college student, so that helps out. lol. Actually, I prefer the term queer versus gay/lesbian or even LGBTQQIA; however, coming from Mississippi... pretty much not a single straight person has any idea what I'm talking about, so gay is just an easier term here. (I am coming from the state that has 8 GSA's in it, with one 1 in high school.)

@Savannah Hey Savannah! How are ya? :D
JDCookMS

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Welcome Home!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 pm

funkyjigsaw wrote:Hi Daniel! Burning Mam is very tolerant of any LGBT, so no worries there.

Heehee, now even Burning Man is transexual. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 pm

So... I've convinced somebody else to go with me now! :D Also, I've created a facebook group to try and get more people interested in going. Everyone that I have talked to (that knows of Burning Man) all say that they've always been interesting in going, "but just never have gotten out there." ...so, I'm hoping to be the catalyst and get a bunch of people out there that haven't been yet. (Question: If I'm this bad trying to get everyone to go while I'm a birgin....what happens after I lose my birginity? :shock: )
JDCookMS

Postby shroom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:42 am

Hi and Welcome!!!! I'm from Georgia and have been once, I plan to return in 2013. Enjoy eplaya and read everything, it helped me show up with no worries.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby bigdane » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:28 pm

welcome Daniel! 2012 is my first year, coming from Tallahassee FL, and if you can swing it register for the ticket and somehow you'll figure the rest out...looks like you'll fit in...hell, I haven't been and already feel like I know half the motley crew on here!!! btw no one seems to care that I'm gay either...it's like home...only funner
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 pm

JDCookMS wrote:So... I've convinced somebody else to go with me now! :D Also, I've created a facebook group to try and get more people interested in going. Everyone that I have talked to (that knows of Burning Man) all say that they've always been interesting in going, "but just never have gotten out there." ...so, I'm hoping to be the catalyst and get a bunch of people out there that haven't been yet. (Question: If I'm this bad trying to get everyone to go while I'm a birgin....what happens after I lose my birginity? :shock: )

It goes in cycles, wanting to share it all with everyone, to being stingy with what is becoming a limited resource. Once I used to think everyone would benefit from the week in the desert, these days, I wouldn't dream of introducing a tenth of the folks I know to the event. Even folks you love dearly can be a drain and a detraction. On the other hand, watching the wonder in Burgins is marvelous when they "get it" and the light goes on.
If they really, truly want to go, then THEY do the footwork. MyLarry and I are happy to provide support in certain ways to certain family members, but we've become leery of over-excited newbies who can't commit to bringing their own water or letting us know their transportation needs until a week prior to packing up the trailer. It is a process which differs for everyone.
AntiM

Postby jella » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:32 pm

AntiM wrote:
JDCookMS wrote:So... I've convinced somebody else to go with me now! :D Also, I've created a facebook group to try and get more people interested in going. Everyone that I have talked to (that knows of Burning Man) all say that they've always been interesting in going, "but just never have gotten out there." ...so, I'm hoping to be the catalyst and get a bunch of people out there that haven't been yet. (Question: If I'm this bad trying to get everyone to go while I'm a birgin....what happens after I lose my birginity? :shock: )

It goes in cycles, wanting to share it all with everyone, to being stingy with what is becoming a limited resource. Once I used to think everyone would benefit from the week in the desert, these days, I wouldn't dream of introducing a tenth of the folks I know to the event. Even folks you love dearly can be a drain and a detraction. On the other hand, watching the wonder in Burgins is marvelous when they "get it" and the light goes on.
If they really, truly want to go, then THEY do the footwork. MyLarry and I are happy to provide support in certain ways to certain family members, but we've become leery of over-excited newbies who can't commit to bringing their own water or letting us know their transportation needs until a week prior to packing up the trailer. It is a process which differs for everyone.

I so get that now AntiM...especially the do your own footwork part....I'm currently in the stingy mode and try to be tight lipped about TTITD...ok ok figment says I'm still recruiting but very very selectively :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

JDCookMS wrote:Hey. What's going on everyone? My name is Daniel and I'm from Hattiesburg, MS and I am currently a Social Work student at the University of Southern Mississippi. I feel a little crazy for doing this, but I decided to register for this board...even though I probably won't be able to attend until 2013. It sucks, but it's just the whole needing money deal (plus classes start the week before), so I plan on saving up...and skipping classes next year for the week. lol

Lets see.... I don't know anybody that's ever been, but I have heard about it a few times over the years. (mainly by people referring to it as "that bunch of hippies out in the desert") ...and, just from what the videos I've seen and from what I've seen people posting about it, it seems amazing. But, because I've never been one to do something half heatedly, I've even signed up to volunteer (if it's possible to do that 2,000 miles away). ...but, I don't know anybody, so I guess I'm here to learn what I can...and considering that I have a year and a half to do that, I'm sure I'll know a few people before I head out there.

Anyways, I have no idea who created this video, but I love it...

Thank you for sharing that video! We love it!

Attractive people attending Burning Man humhum!! :shock:
We fell in love at least three times watching that video lol
It saddens me you won't be able to Burn until 2013. There's a good chance we won't either if we miss the boat with the March ticket sale. In any case this board is the best place to start making new friends and prepping for your journey. 2012 or 2013, Burning Man will be waiting for each and every one of us.
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

@AntiM I actually have been going through that cycle. I went from wanting everyone to go, to (after seeing all the work I'll be putting into this dome, etc.) scaling that back down to a few close friends that I know would enjoy it. I think that we might even be like, "When we get to Burning Man, we're going our own way and we'll meet up for lunch or dinner." But, yeah...I'm not having any sparkle ponies on my trip, they can get their shit together or not go. :roll: I know that sounds bad, but I would HATE having to baby somebody the entire time.

@Kevinochi Yeah, I love that video...and only 3 times? I might've asked my friends if it was legal for me to marry the twins.... :twisted: (note: it's not...) But, actually, I will be going this year! (if I get a ticket) I'm even hoping to bring a few friends with me...a few like...3 or 4.... and that's mainly to help out with the costs of driving 34 hours out there. lol
JDCookMS

Postby Kevinochi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 am

Well we said at least :D

I hope all of us make it out there! Bring as many friends as you posibbly can. Just make sure you leave two tickets for us :lol:
If you're planning on driving that long, maybe it's a good idea to sleep one night in a hotel just before you get there so you're all recharged and ready for a week of splender. Wouldnt want you jawning when making nice with the twins :mrgreen:
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:19 am

We only drive in from Utah, leisurely pace with the trailer, and a long nap in the Flying J parking lot in Winnemucca. Arriving at dawn is wonderful (and practical).
AntiM

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm

JDCookMS wrote:But, yeah...I'm not having any sparkle ponies on my trip, they can get their shit together or not go. :roll: I know that sounds bad, but I would HATE having to baby somebody the entire time.

Hardly anyone who's Burned before would say that sounds bad. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jella » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:03 pm

I second and third that...I have talked a few friends out of burning because I didn't want to be their tour guide/ personal wtf do we do now guru....(sparkle ponies)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Return to Introduce Yourself!